86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

toyota pick rough start and idle

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2013, 07:05 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
toyota pick rough start and idle

hows it going guys. im new to this forum and was wondering if you all could help me out. i'm going to be as detailed as i can so it'll make it easier for everyone. so here we go, I bought an 88 toyota pickup 3vze with a manual back in january. i bought it with a starting problem where the truck would take forever to start up when its cold and then after the initial start (in the mornings usually) it would be fine the rest of the day. I knew it was an old truck and some of the parts were going to have 25 years of wear and tear so i began work on it to solve all the small issues and it is still not working properly (ill explain in detail later). so you guys know, to this day i have replaced the following: fuel pump, fuel filter, fuel pressure regulator, fuel pressure damper, cold start injector, cold timing switch, spark plugs and wires, ditributor cap, rotor, timing belt, ignition coil, throttle possitioning sensor, temperature sensor and the sender, thermostat, and the flywheel when i did the clutch...I have also cleaned the throttle body, and measured the vafm with an ohm meter and it checked out ok..now when i start it in the mornings i have to crank it about 3 to 4 times for about 5 seconds each time before it actually turns over. however, once it does start the idle is very very rough and it hesitates to stay on for a few seconds. once i give it some gas the idle settles, but it is still below the 800-900 mark (sits at about 600). Also when i pull out in the mornings it really hesitates to get going through the first two gears. i usually have to set the RPM's at 2000 and then take off in first so it wont hesitate too much. once the truck reaches operating temperature though, the idle is steady at 850 at stop lights and all. it rides very well for the most part and it wont hesitate on first or second when it is warm. if i were to turn it off and back on again when it is warm, however, it will still have a rough idle but settles much quicker than when its cold. this problem has been drivinge crazy and any advice you guys can come up with will be helpful, thanks a ton.