Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Toyota Long Travel

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2009, 03:36 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
^^ yep yep...lots of bracing underneath the UCA...and probably under the LCA too..
Old 09-02-2009, 04:11 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
but there is nothing showing the bracing going any farther up the arm then the stock BJ mounting locations.

Imagine how much torque you can put on, and bend, an 1/8" thick flat plate of steel with your own arms if you have a 4 or 6" extension. I do it all the time, bending antenna mounts and such on cell sites just to get some little bit of threaded rod through a hole... and that is just how much torque my arms can put on it- I can't benchpress 2000 pounds but I can imagine the vehicle landing off a whoop and putting that much weight on that little piece of steel where the stock BJ should have been.

That's my point- the reinforcement does not appear to go any farther than the stock BJ mounts. Were there little pieces that went up each part of the arm towards the bushing and then bolted in as well, I may take more solace in knowing someone was thinking about abuse, at least a little.
Old 09-02-2009, 04:16 PM

idk how they use the cheapo LT kit..but i honestly wouldnt be jumping it..

i'd be just driving it normally..when i said jumping dunes before i was being sarcastic..

the hardest thing it would ever see from me..would be some fast rough roads..but no catching air..i'd be too afraid i'd blow a tire..break a shackle mount..all that..lol
Old 09-02-2009, 04:19 PM

Now to be honest, the stock BJ mount positions will not see a significant load under most 'normal' operation, but the first time the suspension bottoms out, the lower control arm will hit the bump stop, and stop, and this means any load not absorbed by the bump stop will be transfered out the arm, away from the frame (somewhat... got that lower control arm brace yet?) and in to the lower ball joint mount. Do you think the lower mount will survive long without bracing up through the arm towards the pivot point?

Does that make more sense?
Old 09-02-2009, 04:27 PM

o ok i see now...gotchya..

still though..if somebody wants to be a guinea pig..be my guest..if your satisfied with the performance..ride..durability..then i'd be down for getting the kit...for sure...

hey wait a sec...

you could build one HELL of a bracket lift right here..get a 4in (or 6in.) bracket lift...

install this LT kit onto it...

then install some 1.5"-2" BJ spacers..

how would that perform i wonder?!?!?!?!?!? lol

sounds crazy..but i think it'd be BADA$$ lmao
Old 09-02-2009, 04:28 PM

Originally Posted by camo31"10.50"
o ok i see now...gotchya..

still though..if somebody wants to be a guinea pig..be my guest..if your satisfied with the performance..ride..durability..then i'd be down for getting the kit...for sure...

hey wait a sec...

you could build one HELL of a bracket lift right here..get a 4in (or 6in.) bracket lift...

install this LT kit onto it...

then install some 1.5"-2" BJ spacers..

how would that perform i wonder?!?!?!?!?!? lol

sounds crazy..but i think it'd be BADA$$ lmao
umm... why do you think I want their address? I'm not above considering and helping them engineer it.... You could eliminate the BJ spacers by modding the upper torsion bar mount to crank down and increase the length of their BJ extension bracket and tweaking the angle at the end....

Last edited by abecedarian; 09-02-2009 at 04:31 PM.
Old 09-03-2009, 09:32 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
i gots a 4" bracket lift............................................he rmmm i was looking at that too, but the whole reason for an LT kit(well my reason anyway) would be to tuck the front end crap up and still have the lift/clearance and travel..and let us know what ya see abe, couldent pick a better person to check out a new suspension setup
Old 09-03-2009, 03:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I just sent the guy an email last night asking him for a price range for the coil over conversion kit that he has pictured. He replied today saying this:

Thanks for inquiring about my Blazeland Long Arms. I have not gotten started with production of the coil over conversion portion of the kit yet. I am focusing more on providing a product for customers looking for a build budget around $1000 and that is 100% bolt on with no cutting or welding. I am attaching a parts list of my base kit. The shock hoops for coil over conversion will probably be about $400; if I end up going into production. I have a few customers who have built there own hoops but its a little tricky to build a "one off" Also when you run the coil spring behind the upper control arm you need to use rims with a 3.5 inch backspace, an 8" width, and a 33x10.50R15 tire. There just isn't much room for the spring when the suspension is fully drooped when the steering wheel turned to the right or left. 25mm Torsion Bars work well for most aplications anyway, especially if you install them with heavy duty torque arms- they are plenty strong! If your racing and jumping then you might want to consider a Total Chaos Gen II or III kit. Be prepared to spend about five grand. Also in addition to the modifieing and fabricating T.C. requires, you will want to build a cab cage, install race seats, a five point racing harness, and build a custom rear suspension to match the front. If you want to play with the big boys you got to pay! Its all about what level of performance you are looking for.

Anyway, look for Blazeland in the upcomming issue of 4WD Owner Magizine. If you have any questions I can be reached at (949) 903-6892. I am located in Southern California.

Nate

He also included a parts list for his kit via word document that said this:

Blazeland Parts:
A. Extended Length Lower Control Arms: $400 pair
-New Polyurethane bushing pack
B. Upper Control Arm Extension Brackets: $200 pair
-Grade 8 hardware pack:
C. New Extended Length Tie Rod Adjusting Sleeves: $100 pair
-RH & LH Jam Nuts:
D. Extended Length Stainless Steel Brakelines: $75 pair
-Hardware
E. Rebuilt Factory Upper Control Arms: $200 pair (optional item)
-New Polyurethane bushing pack

Additional parts you will be responsible for:
1. Bilstein shocks- Go to www.bilstein.com and look at the Offroad "lifted truck" 5100 Series. Find part number BE5-6526_H5 (front) (approximately $84 each) Also consider BE5-6583-H5 (for the rear). These shocks were designed specifically for the Toyota with a 4 inch "Drop Bracket" lift kit. These shocks work well with the Blazeland long arm design, they give just the right amount of length- extended (18") and collapsed (11.5"). The body of this shock is similar in size to the 8" travel shocks but it has the 16mm eye bolt attachment for the lower arm and the upper end is a "bayonet design" to plug directly into the upper factory shock tab. These shocks are factory valved for the weight of the Toyota 4x4, 400/117. These shocks are a direct bolt in application and do not require cuttinging up your truck or fabricating custom shock hoops. You can shop around for best price, but go to www.4wheelparts.com as a starting point. Also try to www.kartek.com, they usually have them in stock and can ship right away.
2. 25mm Sway Away Torsion Bars Go to www.swayaway.com -part number #1646 (website list for $220 a pair)
3. T-100 CV Axel Shafts Approx. $150 each new, $100 each remanufactured, $50 each used.
Old 09-03-2009, 05:12 PM

cool, i just mentioned this thread in the newb section to a guy looking for a 1000 dollar LT kit maybe he will buy it and give us feedback
Old 09-03-2009, 05:47 PM

Just emailed them myself asking to come look at what they have, first hand. We'll see.
Old 09-03-2009, 06:46 PM

Just as even to go SAS
Old 09-03-2009, 06:48 PM

Originally Posted by dirtbike5051
Just as even to go SAS
How much does that cost?
Old 09-03-2009, 09:26 PM

I'm willing to be a guinea pig, I don't care. I've been talking to the guy quite a bit and he seems pretty rad and sounds legit. I may not have 5000 posts of seniority so maybe my opinion doesn't matter but this kit seems a lot tougher than it might look. It's a good alternative to anyone who doesn't wanna blow 5G and be a big "pay to play" kinda off roader. Believe it or not but things can be done cheaper than all the big companies say, especially when you have no huge over head like a warehouse, shop, website, employees etc.

I've been talking to him and hopefully he comes on here to give us more info and pics on the kit. From what I have seen it looks pretty good, would like to maybe see a video too.
Old 09-03-2009, 09:34 PM

Originally Posted by ckblum
I'm willing to be a guinea pig, I don't care. I've been talking to the guy quite a bit and he seems pretty rad and sounds legit. I may not have 5000 posts of seniority so maybe my opinion doesn't matter but this kit seems a lot tougher than it might look. It's a good alternative to anyone who doesn't wanna blow 5G and be a big "pay to play" kinda off roader. Believe it or not but things can be done cheaper than all the big companies say, especially when you have no huge over head like a warehouse, shop, website, employees etc.

I've been talking to him and hopefully he comes on here to give us more info and pics on the kit. From what I have seen it looks pretty good, would like to maybe see a video too.
Not sure how to take that.

The email I sent was:
(subject=)Your LT kit is picking up a buzz on yotatech.com...
(body=)… in their 86-95 truck and 4Runner forum. In particular, there is a thread here: https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f116/toyota-long-travel-190603/ discussing your parts. If you are not already, perhaps you should create your own identity on Yotatech and join in our conversations.

Oh, wait. Maybe I should say hello and introduce myself first. My name is Kirk and I am known as abecedarian on that forum. I have an 88 4Runner and there is a lot of back-stage talk about your kit. If you read the link I gave above, you’ll see there are a few of us concerned about the long-term effects of your kit on the suspension.

Would it be possible for me to come by and take a look at the parts and such? I’m over the hill in the Temecula area so I’m not that far away. I’d just like to look at and discuss your kit with you and maybe even suggest some ways to make it a little better, if that’s possible. J
1, 5000 or 10000 posts doesn't make any one more important than anyone else. I just like talking and making posts.

Last edited by abecedarian; 09-03-2009 at 09:38 PM.
Old 09-03-2009, 09:51 PM

Hahah sorry just not used to a polite message board like yotatech. It seems everyone on DR basis your opinion's validity on your post count and just kinda used to that since I have been on that board quite a bit, but I wasn't trying to come off hot or anything.

Just saying that you don't always have to pay big bucks to get good quality. I hear a lot of people bash things cause it's cheaper or they just assume it's low quality cause of the price. I talked to the guy and it's a hobby for him and its a one man show it seems so I don't think he has too much cost to support his business, which also allows him to sell cheaper. Plus the fact that he recycle's factory parts, there tons floating around from anyone who SAS's or goes LT that he probably gets them cheap or does core exchange. Cost of steel isn't much and the time it took to get the geometry right is probably the biggest thing I'd say.

But like I said I'm willing to be a guinea pig, this kit is the level I've been looking for. A few donations and I'll be set to buy a kit and give a review haha. But I am seriously considering it once I finish school and start working again in December. I don't need an all out race kit, 12" of travel and 3" wider is plenty for me.
Old 09-03-2009, 10:00 PM

I absolutely understand what you mean. Although, in general, cost does have some correspondance with regards to quality. Not that the rule is always true since there are always exceptions. One should always be a little curious and twice as much cautious as well though.

And if it bothers you that we are 'real' people who are actually concerned with others... aww, nevermind.

Last edited by abecedarian; 09-03-2009 at 10:01 PM.
Old 09-04-2009, 09:20 AM

sweet, i was thinking about sending him almost the same e-mail abe good deal it would be cool to see this thing in action too, even if he took the pics that he has of it installed but without torsion bars and cycled the suspension showing full stuff and droop that would be cool...now if i could only reverse a bracket kit lmao
Old 09-05-2009, 05:58 PM

Originally Posted by yoterr
sweet, i was thinking about sending him almost the same e-mail abe good deal it would be cool to see this thing in action too, even if he took the pics that he has of it installed but without torsion bars and cycled the suspension showing full stuff and droop that would be cool...now if i could only reverse a bracket kit lmao
hmm... well 2 days and no reply.

and what do you mean "reverse a bracket lift"?
Old 09-05-2009, 06:24 PM

take off the bracket lift to install an LT kit, but i cant from what i see, you have to cut off some mounting tabs in order to put the lift brackets on to clear the front end so if i take the lift bracket off it will be missing some mounting locations on the stock frame....
Old 09-05-2009, 06:33 PM

hey yoterr.why not just combine the LT kit with your Bracket lift???

Quick Reply: Toyota Long Travel