Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Total Chaos Long Travel Kit

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2008, 04:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 4Crawler
Not sure of the setup of that kit, but on the IFS front ends, the lower shock mount is only part way out on the lower suspension arm, so the shock travel is only a certain percentage of the wheel travel. So if am 8" travel shock were mounted 2/3 of the way out on the lower arm then at the end of the arm, 12" of travel would still be possible. Might contact the mfg. and ask them what the shock travel to wheel travel ratio is.
Ah, that is true and I am stupid. Okay, well it would stand to reason through leverage and whatnot that the wheel travel would be significantly more than the shock travel.

Thanks for pointing out the obvious that went over my head.
Old 10-09-2008, 02:04 PM

Originally Posted by deathrunner
Downey used to make up upgraded torsion sockets, but they don't anymore because everyone who is serious with race applications now uses Coilovers. Once and a whiel a set of these sockets will pop up somewhere.

If you romp hard enough, I have also heard of the torsion adjuster bolt snapping off and flying through the cab floor and smacking passengers/drivers in the bottom. It leaves quite a welt, I hear.

Please pass the coilovers, I say.
I just wanted to throw some information for future reference. I've run the Gen 2 kit with 2.5 King coilovers and I'm currently running the Gen 1 with swayaway torsion bars and Kings. Properly tuned, they both function exactly as they were designed.

The advantage of having the coilover is there is less to break. I have yet to have a single issue with my torsions, but I built up the weak links. I plated the adjusters for added strength and have the billet torsion sockets from www.sdtruckshop.com and have nothing to complain about so far.

See them here:
http://www.sdtruckshop.com/popups/to...arsockets.html
Old 10-09-2008, 04:08 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
@sactoyota-
so a mild use truck, which arguably an IFS rock crawler would be since it's not encountering high-speed rock, would be fine with the Gen I kit and not require the mods for the Gen II Caddy?
Old 10-09-2008, 04:16 PM

Originally Posted by abecedarian
@sactoyota-
so a mild use truck, which arguably an IFS rock crawler would be since it's not encountering high-speed rock, would be fine with the Gen I kit and not require the mods for the Gen II Caddy?
Breaking out the calculator and checkbook? I'm so sorry... Lol
Old 10-09-2008, 04:20 PM

The Total Chaos Ball Joint Long Travel 2wd Kit (Toyota 84-95)

Parts Included:
Upper A-Arms W/ Bushings
Lower A-Arms W/ Bushings, Bump Stops & Shock Mounts
Strut Frame
Braided Stainless Brake Lines D.O.T. Approved
Chromoly Tie Rods w/ Jam Nuts
3/4 X 5/8 Chromoly Rod Ends
Urethane Bump Stops
Hardware
Weld-On Droop Stops

Parts NOT Included: (required for install)
Shocks
Torsions Bars
Upper Shock Mounts
Fiberglass Fenders
84-88 Model Trucks require a 2+" Body Lift to run 31X10.5 tires

Vehicle Specs:
Lift: 3+"
Wheel Travel: 11-12"
Sug. Tire Size: 31X10.5
Old 10-09-2008, 04:29 PM

how come you get lower a-arms with bump stops, but the upper a-arms don't come with bump stops?

Why does it say "84-88 Model Trucks require a 2+" Body Lift to run 31X10.5 tires" when I had 31x9 without any body lift (or suspension lift for that matter)?

and why, if there are parts required for installing the kit... why can't they supply them?
Old 10-09-2008, 04:35 PM

Contact Info-
Mailing Address:
Total Chaos Fabrication
159 North Maple Street #J
Corona, CA 92880
ph: (951) 737-9682
fax: (951) 737-9006
email: info@chaosfab.com
As far as the bl, I guess that's just a general statement. Can't account for all rim backspacing and telling people to beat the pinch seam isn't really all that good idea when you can sell people bodylifts lol. No idea really, just speculating.

I agree though, they should sell an all inclusive kit and list prices.
Old 10-09-2008, 04:42 PM

Originally Posted by sactoyota
The advantage of having the coilover is there is less to break. I have yet to have a single issue with my torsions, but I built up the weak links. I plated the adjusters for added strength and have the billet torsion sockets from www.sdtruckshop.com and have nothing to complain about so far.

See them here:
http://www.sdtruckshop.com/popups/to...arsockets.html
Holy crap, why are they selling the Caddy Gen II kit for so cheap there?

Am I stupid or is that a wicked deal?
Old 10-09-2008, 04:48 PM

Received 118 Likes on 67 Posts
Why does it say "84-88 Model Trucks require a 2+" Body Lift to run 31X10.5 tires" when I had 31x9 without any body lift (or suspension lift for that matter)?

and why, if there are parts required for installing the kit... why can't they supply them?
well, i imagine that just because its a long travel kit doesnt meant that it actually "lifts" the front end at all... maybe it even sits lower... or at full compression, the fenders might rub...

also, they may not supply the parts because
1. they dont produce those parts
2. if they did include the parts, the kit may be too expensive for the avg. buyer
3. maybe the parts that they dont include are not included for a reason... like personal preference... different shock hoops, different designs...
idk... just thinking...
Old 10-09-2008, 05:12 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I wanted to go long travel for a long time, but now I've decided to go with a SAS to make a tougher, all around vehicle.

The real deciding factor was that I think a good long travel setup is two to three times as expensive as an SAS.
Old 10-09-2008, 05:17 PM

well, IMO... a kit is a kit. It either comes with all the parts needed or doesn't.
If the parts have to be supplied from others (such as the BL kit they allude to), then it's not a kit, but only parts.

@space-junk: they state the long travel 'kit' supplies 3" of lift on their web site. If you have to buy parts from someone else to make their kit work, their kit supplies nothing more than parts.

Last edited by abecedarian; 10-09-2008 at 05:19 PM.
Old 10-09-2008, 05:21 PM

as for the kit being "too expensive for the average buyer", how is selling some parts one would need for the lift along with also requiring one to buy parts from someone else... how is that going to end up any less expensive "for the average buyer"?

Last edited by abecedarian; 10-09-2008 at 05:23 PM.
Old 10-09-2008, 05:25 PM

that is like procomp, fabtech, OME or rancho saying they'll sell you a complete 5" lift kit for a truck... but you'll also have to buy 1" ball joint spacers and 4" lift springs and 2" spacers from someone else in order to make that 5" lift.

It's not a complete kit without those parts, so don't sell it as a complete kit without the parts.

Last edited by abecedarian; 10-09-2008 at 05:27 PM.
Old 10-09-2008, 06:07 PM

that is like procomp, fabtech, OME or rancho saying they'll sell you a complete 5" lift kit for a truck... but you'll also have to buy 1" ball joint spacers and 4" lift springs and 2" spacers from someone else in order to make that 5" lift.

It's not a complete kit without those parts, so don't sell it as a complete kit without the parts.
In the case of the TC kits I think it's more to do with customization. The shock hoops are available from them but they would give you limited travel compared to what a race truck may opt to use. Same goes for the add-ons of lower uniballs etc. As for the fibreglass fenders, perhaps the truck already has them or is choosing from the various manufacturers out there.

These kits are not sold as "please everyone" kits because they're meant to be tuned to varying applications. It isn't just some body lift for show to clear bigger tires.
Old 10-09-2008, 06:19 PM

Received 118 Likes on 67 Posts
Originally Posted by awareness
In the case of the TC kits I think it's more to do with customization. The shock hoops are available from them but they would give you limited travel compared to what a race truck may opt to use. Same goes for the add-ons of lower uniballs etc. As for the fibreglass fenders, perhaps the truck already has them or is choosing from the various manufacturers out there.

These kits are not sold as "please everyone" kits because they're meant to be tuned to varying applications. It isn't just some body lift for show to clear bigger tires.
thats the exact point i was trying to get at... just didnt do so well at it... lol..
Old 10-12-2008, 01:06 AM

Prices:

http://www.socalsupertrucks.com/cate...1994&drive=4WD

Not everyone wants to buy the same thing, people have their biases towards companies, so pick the shocks you want and the style of fiberglass.

If you don't like a body lift on your 84-88 2WD truck then cut out the wheel wells.
Old 10-17-2008, 03:51 PM

@sactoyota-
I take mine on average 4x4 trails and it does fine. If you want to rock crawl, just get a straight axle truck. For everything else, yes - both kits perform great on all surfaces. I daily drive mine, take it up in the snow, haul ass in the desert, take it on mild 4x4 trails, etc. It will do everything well, but I haven't taken it onto serious technical rock because that is not what I designed my truck for.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't this for a 4x4 application? If so, the Gen 1 kit specs are as follows:

Lift: 4"+
Wheel Travel: 12" w/ 4WD - 13" w/o
Sug. Tire Size: 33X10.5 - Just beat the pinch weld over to make sure you clear the tires.

A description of the kit and all the information you need is at http://www.chaosfab.com/95000BJ.html or you can give them a call and they can talk to you about it: (951) 737-9682

how come you get lower a-arms with bump stops, but the upper a-arms don't come with bump stops?

The upper arms don't have bump stops because they don't exist: they have droop stops which are supplied. Wrong information was supplied in the post - that is for a 2wd truck. 33's clear with fiberglass fenders.

The parts required that aren't supplied
Shocks - HIGH variance in preferences and already mass produced
Torsion Bars - Already mass produced
Upper Shock Mounts - Build your own or buy the ones Chaos supplies practically "at cost".....
4WD T-100 axles to retain 4WD - Built by Toyota
Fiberglass Fenders - Already mass produced

well, IMO... a kit is a kit. It either comes with all the parts needed or doesn't.
If the parts have to be supplied from others (such as the BL kit they allude to), then it's not a kit, but only parts.

@space-junk: they state the long travel 'kit' supplies 3" of lift on their web site. If you have to buy parts from someone else to make their kit work, their kit supplies nothing more than parts.
See above and stop whining that it's not a complete kit. They supply the custom parts you need. You can order everything else without even getting out of your damn chair. This seems like a stupid point to make considering they never state that it is a "complete kit."

Last edited by sactoyota; 10-17-2008 at 03:53 PM.
Old 10-17-2008, 05:06 PM

well, point taken and I guess I've been spanked... albeit not properly.

still really doesn't address the point of why if they call it a kit, it requires you to buy something from someone else to make it work.
how pissed off would people be if they bought an onboard air kit and the compressor was sold by someone else?

yeah, I'm the devil's advocate.

Last edited by abecedarian; 10-17-2008 at 05:08 PM.
Old 10-17-2008, 05:56 PM

Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't this for a 4x4 application?
You're wrong. I don't know about anyone else, but what I was posting was the info so abe here can buy a LT "kit" so his wife's 2wd p/u can fly.

See above and stop whining that it's not a complete kit. They supply the custom parts you need. You can order everything else without even getting out of your damn chair. This seems like a stupid point to make considering they never state that it is a "complete kit."
When you call something a kit, it damn well better be a kit. Otherwise, label it as it is: Total Chaos - Bad Ass Truck Jumping Dune Flying Drop Your Jaw Spindles and Long Control Arms.

You don't call a foundation company a home builder because they built the house, even though their work was what you used to built your house on.

If they want to call it a kit, they should include everything else like other companies do. When I bought my SAS kit from Trail-Gear, I didn't have to buy the "kit" where they only provided the springs, then I had to buy the steering arms and the shocks and then shackles and the perches and the spring mounts and steering box mount and everything else. It contained everything I needed to do the SAS in the kit, with options to upgrade this or that.
Old 10-17-2008, 06:51 PM

I think I might cry a little tear...

Quick Reply: Total Chaos Long Travel Kit