Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Took the dive.... 94 4Runner 3.0 auto. lift q's

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2012, 05:21 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Took the dive.... 94 4Runner 3.0 auto. lift q's

Well, I have been through some toyotas over the years. Everything from a 1980 toy EFI swapped/rockcrawler to a 1998 taco 3.4 and all kinds of stuff in between. This will be the second 3.0 I've ever owned, first one with an automatic and my first second gen 4Runner. I can see what people say about the 3.0 being a little bit of a dog with an auto, plus my last 3.0 had a 5 speed in a regular cab 4x4 pickup and it did quite well (never owned a 2x4 toy so always assume I'm talking 4x4 ). It wasn't as bad as I thought after things I had read. 199,000 original miles with a rebuilt motor with 50k on it and literally a BOOK of service records dating back to 1994.

On to the real fun. I want to lift it, not too much but enough to roll on some 32x10.5r15 TSL radials. I have read the FAQ and the "lets see some lifted 2nd gen 4runners" thread many many times but some things are still unclear. It does have aftermarket wheels which I guess to be around 15x8 or 15x10 couldnt guess on backspace but they do hang out from the wheel wells a bit, I will probably hunt down some stock wheels or maybe even some tacoma 15" wheels 15x7. If I find some stock wheels I will likely get some 33x10.5 bfg km2s but with the current wheels even with a lift I think 32's will be all it accepts from what Ive read, even with a bj/coil lift. It does sag a little bit but not as bad as I've seen others do.

I don't see a lot of people running a full Toytec lift including front bj spacers and rear toytec springs. What do people think of the rear toytec springs? All the LC coils seem to have more oomph and rake than I will need for my purposes. How do toytec rear springs hold up compared to OMEs and what kind of real world lift and carrying capacity do they have?
Old 04-19-2012, 06:24 PM

Well I picked her up last night. No real rust to speak of except for a long wavy stripe one the passenger side where it appears to have been keyed by an angry teenager or a really really tough branch lol, my vote goes to the teenager. Came with a nice yakima bike rack but for some reason the two keys I have for it don't seem to budge either the towers or the actual bike locks themselves so I guess I'll have to get that sorted out.

I think I'm going to hold off on the lift for a minute and get the A/T flushed, cooling system flushed, and a few other things to ensure it lives for a bit longer.

Last edited by Luvmeye22re; 04-19-2012 at 06:26 PM.
Old 04-19-2012, 07:01 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Just FYI, you can fit 32x11.5 at stock ride height, without rubbing. Well, they might rub a tiny tiny bit at full lock...

You can fit 33s as well, with some creative "bodywork" ie BFH on the pinch weld. I believe there is a thread about tire sizes somewhere.
Old 04-19-2012, 07:01 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
PS Nice truck! No rusties and bonus racing stripes on the side!
Old 04-19-2012, 07:15 PM

I figured I could fit 32's on it but these wheels are WIDE. I'm pretty sure they are 15x10. I kind of wish it had stock wheels Maybe I can find somebody to trade some stock wheels with a little cash so I have more money to put towards tires. They are nice wheels, I just prefer black cheap ones myself if you know what I mean. I bet brand new these wheels were EXPENSIVE honestly. I would have looked at the price, laughed and bought some black rock crawlers lol. Pinch weld mod and rear receiver removal will be my first "mods." I'm no stranger to the pinch weld, I've done it to a number of toys but most of them were straight axle trucks and I usually remove more than just the pinch weld lol. I just want this thing to be a comfy DD and a decent weekend warrior. I read the IFS flex thread etc. to death but these wheels throw me off.

Thanks for the kind words

Last edited by Luvmeye22re; 04-19-2012 at 07:22 PM.
Old 04-19-2012, 07:16 PM

15x10 would be a mighty wide rim for tires that small...
Old 04-19-2012, 07:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
[QUOTE=Luvmeye22re;51905528]I think I'm going to hold off on the lift for a minute and get the A/T flushed, cooling system flushed, and a few other things to ensure it lives for a bit longer.]

I would think about adding a transmission cooler to it. Toyota knew the tick cooling was inadequate on these vehicles, but they just put a high A/T temp light in the dash instead of fixing the problem.
Old 04-19-2012, 07:29 PM

I could definitely be wrong. It has been a minute since I've actually had a Toy so I'm out of practice After looking at my subaru for 2 years the wheels look huge. They still just look bigger than any of my old basic 15x8 black rock crawler rims but I also noticed the actual body of the wheel itself is thicker so maybe it's an optical illusion. I think they may even be made out of aluminum because the actual wheels just look a little tarnished but the center caps have rust on them. The wheels and center caps appear to have an equal amount of maintenance/cleaning, which would be none Any way to clean them up and make em look REALLY good for craigslist?
Old 04-19-2012, 07:34 PM

[QUOTE=zooki;51905599]
Originally Posted by Luvmeye22re
I think I'm going to hold off on the lift for a minute and get the A/T flushed, cooling system flushed, and a few other things to ensure it lives for a bit longer.]

I would think about adding a transmission cooler to it. Toyota knew the tick cooling was inadequate on these vehicles, but they just put a high A/T temp light in the dash instead of fixing the problem.
That is a good idea. This is the first time I've owned an automatic transmission that I will attempt to run. The last truck I had with an auto I swapped a 5speed into it almost immediately because it was toast. This one seems to be really healthy so far. I haven't driven it all that much yet but the fluid looked good, didn't look/smell burnt, shifts smooth, and makes little to no noise. Time will tell. I may just start looking for flywheels, pedal assemblies etc.