Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Tomorrow's the big day...

Old 02-03-2009, 08:54 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Tomorrow's the big day...

Well, took my 86 22re runner in for inspection 2 weeks ago. Guy told me she wouldn't get up to speed on the dyno, probably a bad clutch or a fouled clutch disc wasn't grabbing right. Spent the better part of a weekend pulling the tranny and replacing the clutch just to find out it looked brand new. Installed the new one anyway.

Drove 500 miles around town and on the highway in 2 days to get her broken in. Exhaust starts leaking at the manifold. Find out last guy only put one bolt in the downpipe. Replaced bolts.
Now tomorrow at 8am I have to go back and try the dyno again. The truck seems to accelerate just the same even with a full tune up and oil change with additives.

Talked to the inspect station and they said they would try and run a 2 speed idle for her.
Now my problem, Little worried about passing. Rhode Island has some pretty stringent emissions standards. Not fun, not nearly as bad as Cali...but still no fun.

I've been told to do everything from advance the timing, retard the timing, pour that "guaranteed to pass" stuff in, pour 2 oz of rubbing alcohol, run an octane booster, run cheap gas, unplug the vac line from my FPR...

What do you folks think? I know from when I worked as a mechanic, cars always ran cleaner on the dyno when they were good and hot, with a few moments of wide open throttle on the highway to blow out the cylinders, plus a good tune up. But is there anything else I should try? And is it better to be hot and run on a 2 speed idle test?

I only have to pass this emissions test, just this one. RI has 2 year inspections, and in 2 years shell be 25 years old, thus making her a classic vehicle out here and getting rid of any need for an inspection anyway. My 38yr old beetle passes by just pulling up to the inspection station with my registration in hand. Don't even need to bring the car.

Any tips?

Last edited by ee-pitboss; 02-03-2009 at 08:55 AM.
Old 02-03-2009, 09:07 AM

Careful, rubbing alcohol may not work because it isn't 100% pure, it has water in it.
Old 02-03-2009, 10:17 AM

I don't want to try any of that stuff, from the denatured alcohol, to the rubbing alcohol(same thing maybe?) to the 1oz of acetone, unless I know it's gonna work and it's not gonna jack up my motor. Yes, worried about passing the emission test, but more worried about throwing a piston through my hood.
Old 02-03-2009, 11:19 AM

can you do a pre-test?

i'm in CA and did... found i needed to replace the gas cap and O2 sensor.

i have an '88 4runner.

i did pay for the pre-test but i hear some don't.

good luck.

joel
Old 02-03-2009, 11:26 AM

Yea out here there is no pre-test. Essentially the state has me marked down for failing the first time due to the dyno issue. If I fail this time, well then I have to go down to the main inspection headquarters for the next 2 years to pass once each year. Those guys are notorious bastards. Around here, an inspect takes no more than 30 mins. At the HQ it's "drop it off monday, the vehicle will be ready with it's results on weds". And that means if it fails I have 5 days to fix it and get it back to them for the same 3 day ordeal.
Old 02-03-2009, 01:07 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
wow those are the crazyest stupidest emmision rules ever.. they take your truck for 2 days???
how can the americian goverment pull this kind of stuff and no one says anything??

i can understand a sniffer test like they do everywhere... i love how the rules change depending on location.
up north in canada they dont have to do a etest like we do here and they need yearly stickers hahahahah
Old 02-03-2009, 02:38 PM

It's really not just the emissions. The deal is this, at an inspect station, they eyeball all the safety stuff and say pass or fail. At the HQ they have to bust out the micrometers for pads and shoes and discs, they have to match the window tints to what the vehicle came out of the factory with (God help you if you have aftermarket tempered pieces and no receipt, brightness and aim of the headlights, they check seat belts for give and lock strength. They dismount and check for sealants within the tires. It's almost like a search with no boundries from your local PD.

If you fail out the emissions twice, they list the vehicle as a "delinquent polluter" and you have to return back every year for a "special vehicle sticker".

Which essentially means that for the next 2 years (till shes considered a classic) I would either have to not install or un-install lifts, oversized tires, intakes, exhaust sytems that are not stock, any aftermarket lighting...you know, all this stuff that makes a mud truck, a mud truck.

Where as, if she does pass...that's it, see ya later. It's a 2 year system for vehicles that pass. She'll be classic status. I'll never need another emissions test ever again. Just show up, check the lights and the horn, see if it's got a cat on it, and any broken glass...and done.

Last edited by ee-pitboss; 02-03-2009 at 02:40 PM.
Old 02-03-2009, 06:06 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Holy crap those tests are outrageous!!! All we have is a sniffer test, nothing else is checked.

On the topic of passing, I once used that guaranteed to pass stuff and it actually worked. This was on a '77 nova though.
Old 02-04-2009, 04:43 AM

Well, she went in today, ran 290 over 220 for nox, fail and 270 over 220 for HC, fail. Dang.
However, by some fluke because she didn't run the dyno I have 30 days to get her to pass before my next retest, and don't as of yet, have to go to the HQ. So if I can get her up to snuff in the next 30 days, she wont have to go to the HQ at all.
Old 02-04-2009, 04:45 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
how old is the cat?
Old 02-04-2009, 05:27 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Emissions testing? I don't think Kansas really has any of that stuff . As long as you buy in state
Old 02-04-2009, 05:29 AM

I've owned the truck for 3weeks... so it's atleast 3 weeks old.

Seriously though, I havent even looked for any stampings or anything. From the cat back is clean and brand new looking, woot shiny. But the cat and everything else is rusty as hell. It's already in my mind to change out the cat. At this point I'm not sure if I'll go with a factory one, a flanged aftermarket, or whip out the sawzall and cut the flanges off and clamp a universal one on.

I'll have to look into which one functions better. I'm thinking the factory one, but with that comes factory prices.

I also want to look into cleaning out the EGR as I don't want to spend 160 bucks on a new one.
Old 03-04-2009, 06:31 AM

She finally dang passed, and with flying colors too!
Old 03-04-2009, 06:49 AM

Did you have to replace the cat? O2 sensor? EGR?
Old 03-04-2009, 06:55 AM

Good deal !
Old 03-04-2009, 06:59 AM

Originally Posted by desconhecido
Did you have to replace the cat? O2 sensor? EGR?
Well, first I started by doing the EGR. Broke the pipe going into the EGR so used some metal tubing with re-enforced radiator line to remedy that.

Then I did the O2 sensor, was easier than anyone ive ever done.

Then I pulled out the sawzall to remove the old cat... Nothing in the old cat, was completely blown out. So that could only mean the EGR was bad and overheated the cat.

When I went the first time, she was running 290 and 270 on a legal max of 220. Yesterday she ran a 47 and a 74... And I know he didn't throw on another vehicle as I watched him do it.

Last edited by ee-pitboss; 03-04-2009 at 07:02 AM.
Old 03-04-2009, 07:02 AM

My understanding is that high NOx is either cat, or EGR, or low combustion temp. So, you covered the bases. Congrats.
Old 03-04-2009, 07:03 AM

So now I go out and grab some lockers and some 5.29's. I can do the lift and bigger tires too and not have to worry about them ripping my plates or calling me in for another inspection.
Old 03-04-2009, 07:09 AM

yay.

great news for you.

i'm up again in a few months... crossing fingers!!!

lol.

joel
Old 03-04-2009, 07:12 AM

Originally Posted by JAvendan
yay.

great news for you.

i'm up again in a few months... crossing fingers!!!

lol.

joel
Rebuilding?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Tomorrow's the big day...