Contributing Member

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Time for a new shifter seat!

This normal?

*click for video*
*sorry for the club gettin in the way*
*you get the idea*

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v2...t=P5095001.flv

* didn't put it into fifth because you need to twist the shifter to get it in - same with reverse *

Is it due for a new shifter seat? IF so I was thinking of buying the marlin crawler plastic one. I like crisp shifts
Old 03-08-2007, 11:47 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
lol geez that must be fun when it comes to guessing if you actually got it in gear...let alone the right gear. then again you prob know that tranny like none other.
Old 03-08-2007, 11:57 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I changed from the stock to the marlin about 3 months ago.
I noticed:
-crisper shifting
-more positive engagement
-smoother shifting

Those are the things I experienced, there is a bit more shifter vibration, but that doesn't bother me.
Old 03-08-2007, 01:53 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
lol i have driven a few like that before.. it takes a little getting use to..
Old 03-08-2007, 02:41 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
yeah time to try a new shifter seat. I did mine shortly after christmas, and used the opportunity to change the trans oil over to redline mt-90 which is far superior to what was in there. Its way easier to change the oil by pouring in into the shifter hole, than trying to pump it in from under the truck.

I found that the new shifter seat made shifting much firmer, and my shift seat was already in halfway decent condition when I removed it, atleast compared to most I've seen on here.
Old 03-08-2007, 08:24 PM

I can vouch for the Marlin seat... It tightened mine up a lot too.
Old 03-08-2007, 08:41 PM
Contributing Member

Received 34 Likes on 14 Posts
Here's a how to: http://toyota.off-road.com/toyota/ar....jsp?id=186539
Old 03-08-2007, 10:06 PM
Contributing Member

I have noticed that first gear just dosnt feel like its "in" enough. Kinda feels like it wants to pop out, but no problems yet. *knocks on wood*

Its really easy to find the gears but just feels uber sloppy.
Old 03-09-2007, 08:08 PM

1988 pickup 2 wd 5 speed W55 transmission.

I looked at my seat and it is just a flat rubber washer. The other seats I have seen look like a bowl. Is my transmission weird or is it that my seat is not worn out?

This rubber washer has been remove in the first picture.

Old 03-09-2007, 08:38 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
is it a washer? or is it tapered? I'm not sure what the w-55's is soposed to look like, but the w-56 is tapered. They usually split into atleast 2 parts, and it looked in mine like the 2 parts were made seperately and moulded together. Maybe you only have the bottom piece? the bottom of the 2 parts looks like a washer, and the top part is what is tapered.

Its interesting to see that the w-55 doesent seem to have the push and turn lockdown mechanism for the shift lever. It seems to just be bolted down is that correct?

Last edited by MMA_Alex; 03-09-2007 at 08:41 PM.
Old 03-09-2007, 09:02 PM

It is a flat rubber washer - no taper. No push and turn lock - 4 bolts.

I have owned the 1988 since 1989. I replaced the clutch myself when I bought it so I doubt I lost any parts, and the original owner did not have it long enough to mess around with the transmission.

I have seen so many messages about this "seat" that falls apart that I thought I should check the condition since my truck is so old.

I do not have a seat like I have seen in the pictures. Maybe because I have a W55. At first I thought I was missing a part that was supposed to be on top of the rubber washer.

Last edited by Tool Pants; 03-09-2007 at 09:07 PM.
Old 05-02-2008, 09:30 PM

TP - yours looks like it is in better shape than mine when I replaced it (I have the 4 speed flavor of your transmission).

Before:

Name:  IMG_1499.jpg
Views: 779
Size:  119.0 KB

Name:  IMG_1500.jpg
Views: 1235
Size:  138.3 KB

After I put in the Marlin part:

Name:  IMG_1502.jpg
Views: 1341
Size:  89.7 KB

I also ordered the white piece on the end of the shifter, but my old one looked pretty much like the new one so I didn't change what was working
Old 05-03-2008, 02:52 AM

Rubber Washer? or No Rubber Washer?

I too had the flat rubber washer under the little teeny tiny bits of shifter seat that I had left. I did not put it back in (still have it) when I Installed my Marlin Crawler seat, looking at their install video they didn't show it.

So, my question is... Should I put the flat rubber washer back in under the MC seat???

The MC seat improved my shifting ALOT, but there is still a little slop, so I have to wonder (or I could just try ) if that washer might be the key.
Old 05-03-2008, 07:36 AM
Banned

You do NOT need to put the rubber washer back in, for one, it WONT allow your shifter to go back in correctly without binding, MC should really put this on their site, I called them and ask them when I put my shifter seat in what to do, they said just put the MC unit in and thats it. Someone should sticky this thread so everyone can see what I said.. this question gets asked alot..
Old 05-03-2008, 07:42 AM
Contributing Member

Haha, this thread is still alive?

I guess I never posted back on here, but the shifter seat and bushing fixed all of my tranny problems
Old 05-03-2008, 09:30 PM
Banned

Well whats his nuts ressurected this thread from about a year ago, so I figured I misewell answer his question since I had the same problem he had..
Old 05-04-2008, 04:20 AM

Originally Posted by Trustyrusty
You do NOT need to put the rubber washer back in, for one, it WONT allow your shifter to go back in correctly without binding, MC should really put this on their site, I called them and ask them when I put my shifter seat in what to do, they said just put the MC unit in and thats it. Someone should sticky this thread so everyone can see what I said.. this question gets asked alot..
THANK YOU!!! Now I can get that washer out of my Runner. Yes, MC should put that up on their install page.
Old 05-04-2008, 11:01 AM

Still don't know for sure what my W55 is supposed to have. Just know all it had was a flat rubber washer. If there was a plastic seat on top of the washer then it ground into dust long ago.

Still need to rebuild or fix my transmission because a a bearing noise that is loudest in 5th gear. While searching on ebay for a transmission I found this.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...213929466&rd=1

This states that you have 2 shifter seats OR a spring. I have a spring and a rubber "seat", so this just confuses me more.

If my W55 is missing something then I would have never known. My transmission shifts fine and there is no slop. If it shifted differently when I bought it then I don't remember since it has been 19 years.
Old 06-06-2008, 01:26 PM

My mystery has been solved.

My transmission is being rebuilt by Auto Gears in Santa Clara, near where I live. Owned by Manjit and his son. They work on Toyotas.

For the past 2 years I have had a noisy 5th gear bearing. I told Manjit to take my transmission apart and put in a rebuild kit. I mentioned this plastic seat/rubber washer thing to him.

Manjit called me when the transmission was apart so I could look.

My truck did have a plastic seat in the olden days but it had broken apart and fell into the transmission. The oem plastic seat is bonded to the rubber washer at the bottom of the seat. That is why I could only see the washer - the plastic seat had broken apart and fell into the transmission leaving the rubber washer under it behind.

Here is the new plastic seat/rubber washer he is going to put in. The rubber washer is needed because it compresses a bit and you can then slide the unit under the 2 pins. Marlin's plastic seat is thicker to make up for the lack of the washer. But since plastic does not compress Marlin machines 2 grooves so you can slide the seat under the 2 pins.

Last edited by Tool Pants; 06-07-2008 at 11:25 AM.
Old 06-06-2008, 06:28 PM

I jsut instaleld mine 2 weeks ago boy is there a night and day difference. Funny thing is the rubber seat was still intact in the shifter, the end cap was worn good. But eather way it worked wonders

Quick Reply: Time for a new shifter seat!