86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Ticking coming from engine?

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2006, 08:55 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ticking coming from engine?

Hey Guys____ I have an 4 runner with a 22re, 5 sp. that had the engine””” professional rebuilt”””. In the morning when I start the truck, there is a “loud ticking” from the engine compartment ,like the engine needs oil, than after about 5 –8 seconds it goes away. Then in the course of the day if left for periods of say longer than 2 or three hours I’ll hear the sound BUT not as long or pronounced. It just doesn’t sound normal to me. Could it be the timing chain, and if it is WHY it is so loud, other Toyotas I’ve had NEVER sounded like that. BEFORE I go back and talk to the shop I wanted some feedback from you guys, so I’m not completely in the dark before talking to the shop. Thanks in advance _______ BAYRUNNER
Old 03-09-2006, 10:40 AM

My 89 does the same. I think It is just a bit of spark knock until the ECU figures out the timing. It could also be valve adjustment, or just waiting for oil to get to the lifters. I would not worry about it. Maybe change to synthetic oil and see what happens.
Old 03-09-2006, 11:10 AM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Flash319
or just waiting for oil to get to the lifters.
..... ditto

make sure to let the engine sit and idle until it stops doing this... if it is indeed waiting for oil, you done want to stress it
Old 03-09-2006, 08:53 PM

Try changing the oil and running some synthetic, it might pump more quickly in the cold weather.... The 22RE doesn't use hydraulic lifters, so it is maybe the tappets clicking? Or could be the timing chain tensioner....
Old 03-09-2006, 09:44 PM

I have the same problem. Whenever i have the hood open and it's idling, I hear a "tick tick tick tick" noise coming from the valve cover. I'd assumed it was the lifters, are they not large enough to supply enough oil to the cylinders?
Old 03-10-2006, 04:43 AM

There is a normal tick to these engines. The fuel injectors are loud also the valve train. This is normal and do not worry. Get to know the sound then you know when something is really wrong.

"a loose engine is a fast engine"
Old 03-10-2006, 06:24 AM

Originally Posted by makarov
Try changing the oil and running some synthetic, it might pump more quickly in the cold weather.... The 22RE doesn't use hydraulic lifters, so it is maybe the tappets clicking? Or could be the timing chain tensioner....
the 22re doesn't have lifters or tappets. the rocker arms follow the cam directly. the valves were probably adjusted pretty loose to prevent burnt valves in the new engine. the next valve adjustment should clear that up.

may also be the exaust manifold. the new gasket might not seal untill the manifold heats up and expands. have the bolts retorqued during the valve adjustment.

the timing chain adjuster does use oil pressure, but it shouldn't go slack when the truck is sitting.
Old 03-10-2006, 08:57 AM

Originally Posted by brick privy
the 22re doesn't have lifters or tappets. the rocker arms follow the cam directly. the valves were probably adjusted pretty loose to prevent burnt valves in the new engine. the next valve adjustment should clear that up.

may also be the exaust manifold. the new gasket might not seal untill the manifold heats up and expands. have the bolts retorqued during the valve adjustment.

the timing chain adjuster does use oil pressure, but it shouldn't go slack when the truck is sitting.

Right on up there. LOL!

The 22re toyota ticking timebomb, I love that tick.
I call it a finely tuned sewing machine motor. LOL!

He's right above though, and more than likely loose valves. I've heard you can be ok by going .001 under spec on ajustment and quiet them up. but that would probably need to be researched.

if you had a stethoscope you could listen to different spots on the motor and see where it's comming from or a long screwdriver with your ear to the end, sticks work good too.
Good Luck.
Old 03-10-2006, 09:30 AM

Originally Posted by cruisinforburgers
Right on up there. LOL!

The 22re toyota ticking timebomb, I love that tick.
I call it a finely tuned sewing machine motor. LOL!

He's right above though, and more than likely loose valves. I've heard you can be ok by going .001 under spec on ajustment and quiet them up. but that would probably need to be researched.

if you had a stethoscope you could listen to different spots on the motor and see where it's comming from or a long screwdriver with your ear to the end, sticks work good too.
Good Luck.
i wouldn't go under spec on the valve adjustment because of the risk of burnt valves, but it wouldn't hurt to run them at the tight end of the range. the mechanic was probably just being carefull. i haven't heard a new truck make that noise and they're adjusted to spec at the factory.

anyway i wouldn't really worry too mutch about the noise if it only lasts a few seconds and only on a cold start.

it may also be the pistons. if i'm correct, the 22re uses forged pistons and forged pistons run more clearance in the bore because they expand more than cast pistons. might just take them a few seconds to warm up.

just relax and keep up the mantinance on that new motor.
Old 03-10-2006, 11:49 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by bayrunner
Hey Guys____ I have an 4 runner with a 22re, 5 sp. that had the engine””” professional rebuilt”””. In the morning when I start the truck, there is a “loud ticking” from the engine compartment ,like the engine needs oil, than after about 5 –8 seconds it goes away. Then in the course of the day if left for periods of say longer than 2 or three hours I’ll hear the sound BUT not as long or pronounced. It just doesn’t sound normal to me. Could it be the timing chain, and if it is WHY it is so loud, other Toyotas I’ve had NEVER sounded like that. BEFORE I go back and talk to the shop I wanted some feedback from you guys, so I’m not completely in the dark before talking to the shop. Thanks in advance _______ BAYRUNNER
Greetings,
Yeah you have to love the old 22! Anyhow, I'd go wih a valve adjustment and don't forget that the 22 is notorious for a "Lean Miss", that's pretty normal! When you adjust the valves on a 22 the engine has to be warmed up, if not you get exactly what your describing also! One more thing, make sure that your using the correct viscosity of oil, a thicker oil will take awhile to warm up and pump up to the top of the engine and thus, a noisy engine for a few seconds.

Good Luck!
Old 03-20-2006, 06:21 PM

Hey Guys_____ Just a little update on my “ticking” problem. Well I went back to the shop that did the rebuilt, left it for a few days, and the verdict (after taking valve cover off and looking around) was, he couldn’t find anything wrong and suggested an aftermarket filter. I have been going to this guy on and off for many years and”” trust”” him and feel he has integrity. It’s a machine shop and I assumed engine rebuilding being one of there strengths. So, I’m left a little bewildered, (does the guy know what’s he’s going) or WHAT?? ? Thanks in advance_____ BAYRUNNER