Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Throwout bearing? You tell me...

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2008, 08:12 PM
Contributing Member

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Throwout bearing? You tell me...

So after going on a trip up to the whistler mountain bike park (330km there and back) I got some serious problems... I noticed it on the way home.

To start off, my throwout bearing has always made noise since I installed it, I shot some grease on it and it was good (for a few months). I kept doing this because I did NOT want to drop the tranny to replace it ( yeah im stupid). It has almost a sound of a looser bearing, you can hear the ballbearings spinning... does that make sence? In anycase, I could always hear this very quietly, if I put a little pressure on the clutch pedal it would go away instantly.

Now Im getting a pretty bad metal grinding,clanging noise when I let off the gas while in gear. Say im driving around 2,500rpm in second gear, I let off the gas and the truck starts to slow. As soon as I let off the throttle I get the noise. I get on the gas again, it goes away, any amount of throttle will do it.

I also noticed a noise at idle, transmission in nutreal. I was pulling in the gas station and I heard it. Almost sounded like a bad wheel bearing or something, didnt matter if the clutch as in or not, and it stopped when I stopped the truck.

At first I just assumed the throwout bearing is bad and its time to replace it, now im not too sure... Im going crazy here!

I searched for a bit but I am WAY to tired to sift though all the threads to see somone said one word about throwout bearings

Any advice would be great! I need my truck to be in working order!

Clutch was replaced last summer, less then 25,000km on the clutch. Amsoil synthetic 85-90w manual transmission fluid.
Old 09-07-2008, 08:29 PM

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
As far as I know, Jay, the throwout/release bearing typically makes noise when you press in on the clutch pedal....if it's going, that is. If it's the pilot bearing, that's typically when you let off the clutch. Maybe you have a bearing in the transmission going out. Like the input shaft bearing. Have you run a search on that?
Old 09-07-2008, 08:32 PM
Contributing Member

Nope, but I will now! Thanks Matthew
Old 09-07-2008, 08:32 PM

Okay...I was little off on my memory. Here's an article to read....

http://www.drivetrain.com/clutcharticle.html

Sounds like you might have a couple of different issues going on.
Old 09-07-2008, 08:33 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
the signs of a bad throw out bearing would be a noisy bearing noise when the clutch is engaged in neutral or in gear. and like you said it should quit up when you push the clutch in. if its clanging and only making that noise when you let off the throttle, my first thought is rear end!
Old 09-07-2008, 08:38 PM

Originally Posted by TOYOTA 1
the signs of a bad throw out bearing would be a noisy bearing noise when the clutch is engaged in neutral or in gear. and like you said it should quit up when you push the clutch in. if its clanging and only making that noise when you let off the throttle, my first thought is rear end!
Hmmmmm...maybe I'm mistaken. Back to the books.

Last edited by thook; 09-07-2008 at 08:42 PM.
Old 09-07-2008, 08:45 PM

I wasn't totally off....

Taken from AA1car,,,,,,,

To find out what is causing the noise, set the parking brake, place the vehicle in neutral and start the engine.

If you hear growling or grinding noises when the clutch is engaged, the cause is the transmission input shaft bearing.

A squealing sound that occurs when the clutch pedal is depressed and held is usually caused by a bad pilot bearing or bushing.

A chirping noise that intensifies when the pedal is slowly depressed would indicate a bad release bearing.

If you hear chirping while idling in neutral and the noise goes away when the pedal is slowly depressed, the fork/pivot ball contact point is making the noise
Old 09-07-2008, 08:46 PM

your right.. sorry for the wrong info jay! hey thook, what would you say was causing the symptoms i was describing?
Old 09-07-2008, 08:48 PM

dang you all type fast lol.. thanks thook for answering before i could ask hehe.
Old 09-07-2008, 08:51 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by TOYOTA 1
Well, the problem is. All these problems are not consistant. They will be there BAD for 15 mins, then the next time I let off the throttle there is no noise at all! (I also have a metal clanging under heavy throttle, I assumed it was exhaust related, also not consistant, perhaps related) I really don't think its the rear end. It was rebuilt back in january with brand new oem bearings, set up buy a local toyota gear guru, "beautiful pattern" is what he said. I can drain the fluid and see if I see any metal shavings inside, shame though, that amsoil is not even that old!!

I read the article that Matthew posted, I will do a few tests tomorrow:

1. Truck idling, in nutreal, gonna see if I can hear ANYTHING from under the truck.

2. Truck idling, push clutch in slowley till hear a noise.. or not

3. I was gonna jack up the rear end, put it in gear and let it idle, see if I hear anything...

Keep em comming guys!!
Old 09-07-2008, 08:54 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by thook
I wasn't totally off....

Taken from AA1car,,,,,,,

To find out what is causing the noise, set the parking brake, place the vehicle in neutral and start the engine.

If you hear growling or grinding noises when the clutch is engaged, the cause is the transmission input shaft bearing.

A squealing sound that occurs when the clutch pedal is depressed and held is usually caused by a bad pilot bearing or bushing.

*A chirping noise that intensifies when the pedal is slowly depressed would indicate a bad release bearing.

*If you hear chirping while idling in neutral and the noise goes away when the pedal is slowly depressed, the fork/pivot ball contact point is making the noise

Holy crap, you guys are fast!

I have experianced both these problems. The chirping intensifies if I only press the clutch in a TINY bit, anymore and it goes away.

I totally forgot about that, my mech pointed that out to me. He said its probibily rusted a little and causing the noise.

I also read in another thread (while searching) that a bad input bearing will make noise in N while the truck is moving...
Old 09-07-2008, 08:57 PM

Don't drain the amsoil just yet, Jay. Besides....even if it were a rear end noise, all you have to do is drain a few tblsp. Any metal shavings that are present will come out in that first bit of fluid. Or be attached to the drain plug if it's magnetic. And keep in mind, fine shavings are normal.

When the last time you checked your u-joints?

Last edited by thook; 09-07-2008 at 08:59 PM.
Old 09-07-2008, 08:59 PM

I'm assuming you already checked your u joints?
Old 09-07-2008, 09:00 PM
Contributing Member

U joints seem okay. I couldnt seem to get any play out of them, but my mind is not working right at the moment, can you remind me of the best way to check them?

Im 95% sure they are okay..
Old 09-07-2008, 09:00 PM

The best way to check them is to drop the drivshaft and rotate the flange in every angle. A seizing u-joint may not be at all noticeable/have any play while the DS is still bolted up.

Last edited by thook; 09-07-2008 at 09:01 PM.
Old 09-07-2008, 09:03 PM

lol, the way i do it is pretty simple. i block the tires, throw it in nuetral, and check for any play. but the best way is to remove the shaft then check.
Old 09-07-2008, 09:06 PM
Contributing Member

You guys are fast! Its great!

I used to just check for play when the shaft was in the truck. I will remove the shaft and I will rotate the flange(s) at every angle I can get it in...

I should have time tomorrow after class...
Old 09-07-2008, 09:08 PM

I learned a long time ago never to trust checking the UJ's that way, though. It wasn't until the UJ actually completely seized and ripped a couple of bearings caps that I learned..........drop the shaft.
Old 09-07-2008, 09:09 PM

also grease them if you haven't already. Ive had u joints make a bunch of noise that weren't sloppy, they were just begging for grease.

Last edited by TOYOTA 1; 09-07-2008 at 09:10 PM.
Old 09-07-2008, 09:13 PM
Contributing Member

Well, I will do my best checking the u-joints tomorrow..

So im gonna:

Drop shaft, put shaft at odd angles and turn flange to see if the u-joint is binding... right?

Gonna need you guys to hold me hand for tonight... Remember... fried brain! mmmmmm fried grain... wait what.?! I've finally lost it

Quick Reply: Throwout bearing? You tell me...