Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Thinking of herculining the bed of my 88 4runner and need advice?

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2006, 06:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thinking of herculining the bed of my 88 4runner and need advice?

I know there has been a few people who have done this but is there anything i need to look out for? what products do I need to stay away from? i plan on using the herculiner that they sell in a can. is that good stuff? I am planning on rolling it on cause i don't have a sprayer. anybody have pics of theirs' done? I have seen a few doing some searching on here but I may have missed a few so pics would be great. basically, if you have any advice on doing this please let me know. thanks!!
Old 12-24-2006, 10:37 PM
Contributing Member

Just buy the can and go at it. Heck, my 17 year old sisters boyfriend did half his Isuzu Amigo (interior & exterior) with Herculiner and it turned out awesome...just as nice as any of those rynoliner places. It's good stuff.
Old 12-25-2006, 12:07 AM

It's good stuff. Just remember to do two coats. Doing it on a humid day really helps it set faster. You can just roll it on over your old paint, but I reccomend either ruffing it up first, or taking a sandblaster to it (if your doing the entire truck that is. if just bed, don't worry). Do some body work while your at it. If you've got big dents, get a plunger and get em out, it doesn't have to be perfect since it will cover minor flaws, but a big two foot dent is really easy to pop out. Mask off your lines where you want it to stop, it can get a little messy. Get a can of acetone or mineral spirits incase you get any on places where you don't want it, but remember once it dries it's permanate. Beware that once you do your bed and you have a little bit left, I can almost guarantee you that you'll get a very powerful urge to do the rest of your truck. And if you do decide to do the rest of your truck, if you've already done the bed, an extra 2 gallons + a pint size bottle to do the rest
Old 12-25-2006, 12:12 AM

And I couldn't find any pictures of my friend's trucks that I've done, but found a couple of mine half way done. It really is good stuff.

Last edited by SwampThing; 12-25-2006 at 12:13 AM.
Old 12-25-2006, 04:09 AM

Originally Posted by rocket
Just buy the can and go at it. Heck, my 17 year old sisters boyfriend did half his Isuzu Amigo (interior & exterior) with Herculiner and it turned out awesome...just as nice as any of those rynoliner places. It's good stuff.
thanks man. I figure if i mess it up, put the carpet back on there and nobody would ever know!!!
Old 12-25-2006, 04:10 AM

Originally Posted by SwampThing
It's good stuff. Just remember to do two coats. Doing it on a humid day really helps it set faster. You can just roll it on over your old paint, but I reccomend either ruffing it up first, or taking a sandblaster to it (if your doing the entire truck that is. if just bed, don't worry). Do some body work while your at it. If you've got big dents, get a plunger and get em out, it doesn't have to be perfect since it will cover minor flaws, but a big two foot dent is really easy to pop out. Mask off your lines where you want it to stop, it can get a little messy. Get a can of acetone or mineral spirits incase you get any on places where you don't want it, but remember once it dries it's permanate. Beware that once you do your bed and you have a little bit left, I can almost guarantee you that you'll get a very powerful urge to do the rest of your truck. And if you do decide to do the rest of your truck, if you've already done the bed, an extra 2 gallons + a pint size bottle to do the rest

thanks man for the advice!!!
Old 12-25-2006, 07:15 AM

check out vortex. i talked to line-x and i was told the system they use is too high pressure to be used on the floor of a vehicle. i went to a place called vortex, spent half the money and didnt sacrifice any quality.
Old 12-25-2006, 07:18 AM
Contributing Member

Received 181 Likes on 126 Posts
Here's a look:

http://www.truckfarm.com/html/TF_projects_4runner.html
Old 12-25-2006, 07:28 AM

lol nice seats...let me find my pics of the vortex lining i got.
Old 12-25-2006, 07:35 AM

ah here we go

https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f2/4runner-interior-protection-64962/
Old 12-25-2006, 07:51 AM

I would also be interested in learning a bit more and seeing/reading through some info about the Herculiner process. I was pricing it out the other day and now my Fiancee thinks it would be a good project for her and I to tackle together. Anymore links or personal info would be appreciated.

-=Morphine=-
Old 12-25-2006, 05:34 PM

Originally Posted by 4RocRunner92
check out vortex. i talked to line-x and i was told the system they use is too high pressure to be used on the floor of a vehicle. i went to a place called vortex, spent half the money and didnt sacrifice any quality.

ok, thanks. i will check into that. my in-laws gave me 120 bux so that is more than enough to get my supplies. i could probably get it done cheaper than that since it is only around 16 sq ft but what is the fun in that. lol
Old 12-25-2006, 05:47 PM

Originally Posted by Morphine
I would also be interested in learning a bit more and seeing/reading through some info about the Herculiner process. I was pricing it out the other day and now my Fiancee thinks it would be a good project for her and I to tackle together. Anymore links or personal info would be appreciated.

-=Morphine=-

well, i am getting the supplies tomorrow and will be doing it this week so i will keep everybody updated!!

if anybody has anything else they want to add i would greatly appreciate it.
Old 12-25-2006, 06:41 PM

Thanks. Take lots of pics and share your experience's with doing it. Now I need to find out about sand blasting my bed.
Old 12-27-2006, 04:11 PM

I did my 86 a few years back. My truck is not an SR5 so it was pretty easy removing the factory vinyl rear area protector and the small bit of carpet.

-First you need to decide how much you want to do. I lined the area up to the just under the front seats.
-If you haven't pulled the carpet you may want to do that ASAP. You may find a good bit of rust in small areas that you didn't know was there. You'll probably want to get that cleaned up first.
-You need to decide why you are doing the job. If its just to line the floor area fine. But if you want to protect from rust and water especially if you'll be removing the top at all then you better pull out the side panels and do inside the wheel wells.
-Inside the wheel wells is a pain. I wasted alot of material trying to get all the nooks and crannies with a paint brush. I ended up using duplicolor spray on liner for inside the wheel wells. The spray can reach all the small areas. Its not as durable but inside the wells won't see much abuse. Its reall dirty in there too so clean it well first.
-As mentioned you will want to do two coats. Follow the directions. You'll think you got everything then when it dries you'll see small areas poking through theat make the second coat necessary.
-Prep is very important. Use the scotch brite pad with the kit (also go to walmart and get a couple more). Some kind of solvent to wipe it all down when done. I used acetone. I believe hurculiner recommends xylene.
-Plan your route. I did the wheel wells first then worked from the front back and did a bunch of the tailgate too.
-You will get it on you so wear old clothes and long sleeves. Even then the black will get on your skin. I used acetone to get it off.
-You may find some wires that need to be worked around so figure out how you'll keep them out of the way.
-The hurculiner is going to smell bad for about a week then get better. The duplicolor stuff will stink for a good month.
-I eventually ended up pulling the seats and two years later did all the way to under the dash.
-Mine has held up great even after numerous moves and carrying lots of crap around.

In my area we have pep boys stores. Every other month the hurculiner goes on sale for $79 for the gallon kit with a $20 mail in rebate. $59 is a great price but like I said its usually every other month. You may want to look around for a sale.

Hope that helps.
Old 12-27-2006, 04:40 PM

durabak.com has some good stuff too. they have the regular "bumpy" kind and they also have some that is "smooth" so it looks like flat paint. and if you do decide to do the whole truck they have 20 something colors. i did my old truck with it about 4 months ago and it was a breeze. just tape everything off good and you'll be fine.
Old 12-27-2006, 06:29 PM

well, I did my 88 today and i must say it turned out great. i have some before and after pics but i will post them tomorrow hopefully. it was very easy to do and i must say you really can't mess that stuff up. i found it was better to use a brush rather than use a roller. the brush was used to dab it on and it was very easy. rolling it was hard because you couldn't get to a few spots. i did not have a single bit of rust under the carpet so i was thankful for that. i am having a very very very strong urge to do the rest of the interior on the truck. somebody above told me i was going to and he was exactly right. does anybody know if i will run into problems with wiring or should that even be an issue?

my supplies i used were:
1 qt herculiner(i had a little bit left over when i finished the second coat)
latex gloves
drill bit used to stir herculiner
old rags
painters tape
mask for face so you don't breathe in all those vapors(still smell them though)
trash bag to cover seats from over splatter
paint brush and roller
acetone
electric sander to scuff up surface or bed

i think that is about it. overall, i am very very please with the turnout of the liner. now i can put my hunting boots back there without worrying about muddying up my carpet. i will post pics tomorrow!! thanks for everybody's help and replies!!
Old 12-27-2006, 08:04 PM

Please post those pics...I really want to see this. I want to do this so bad but I keep putting it off and dont know why. Good job on getting it done!!!

-=Morphine=-
Old 12-27-2006, 09:40 PM

I just herculined a 3" border around my fenders and under my doors. Its really easy to do...looks awesome and so far it has held up against a pressure washer and gravel (so far)
Old 12-27-2006, 10:42 PM
Contributing Member

I'd like to see some pic's of the interior and the 3" exterior border.

Did you notice any sound dampening?

Quick Reply: Thinking of herculining the bed of my 88 4runner and need advice?