86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Tell me about gaugues

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2017, 11:10 AM

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
Tell me about gaugues

I'm sure this information is out there... but I can't find it. I have an 87' 4runner SR5, and like most, the temperature gauge doesn't really work. I would love to have some aftermarket gauges, but I am completely clueless about them. I have seen them mounted on the A-Piller, but how do you do that and how are they mounted? I have seen pod clusters for A pillars, but are they vehicle specific or universal, and how do they mount? Are mechanical or electric gauges better and which are easier to install? Which are the best gauges to get, besides coolant temperature? Is it particularly difficult to install gauges without having any electrical experience?
Thanks
Old 11-05-2017, 10:24 PM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Red face

In gauges you tend to get what you pay for As so many are now made in China who can say what brands are the best any more.

Electrical gauges always come with the sending unit to match the gauge.

Electrical or Mechanical it all depends just what you like some people are nervous about a oil pressure line in the cab.

sometimes running a mechanical temperature gauge can be a adventure

the pillar pods are vehicle specific .

Installing maybe get some help There is just no way to judge how fast you pick things no it is not difficult but after all these years not much is