Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Stripped Threads Flange Nut-Fuel Filter

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2013, 02:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Stripped Threads Flange Nut-Fuel Filter

Hello fellow yota peeps,

I came across an issue while replacing my fuel filter. I have a 1990 toyota pickup 3vze 4wd and I noticed that the previous owner had forced the flange nut onto the old fuel filter so thus ruining the threads on the nut. This is only on the IN side coming from the tank to the filter. I had called toyota an they want about $80 for a new line an will take about a week to get here. However I do not have a week as I have a vehicle I can use temporarily borrow for a few days. Anybody ran across this issue an possibly know of another alternative? I thought about a line repair kit from auto parts store however the lines are very angled coming to the filter and one of those kits doesn't seem like it may work well if at all.

Any helps appreciated.

Btw I have used this forum many times searching through the forums for previous problems, an have had much help from doing so, finally decided to join!
Also I know there's a typo in my name in case someone gives me a hard time.

Thanks
Old 05-25-2013, 06:05 PM

Harbor freight sells a tubing flare tool, and you can get the tubing from napa. but you have to bend it yourself.

Alternatively, you could measure the size and pitch of the thread, then have a hose made up and replace the hardline with a hose. your call.
I might add that having the hose made specifically for the fuel filter thread and the fuel line thread may be expensive, and you will probably have to call around to find a shop that will do it.

It shouldnt be so hard to find a place to make the hose though.

Last edited by slo6i; 05-25-2013 at 06:07 PM.
Old 05-25-2013, 07:38 PM

I had the same issue I managed to get the old filter off and lucky for me the nut on the front side of the filter was ok so I cut out the back line right to the tank went to Lordco got high pressure fuel hose got the proper high pressure clamps and the length I needed I was lucky and found the right size fitting that fit into the filter and on the other end is made for hose clamped it all up and good to go
Old 05-25-2013, 08:42 PM

Thanks guys good useful information.
@slo6i
I didn't consider getting pipe and bending it but if I recall correctly stainless pipe is one pita to bend.

@hypermax, how was the high pressure hose and clamps been holding up? I didn't even consider doing this.

I'd like your guys input. I was thinking of cutting the line right before the flare and replacing the nut then reflaring. The line would be a little short but not much, do you guys think this might cause to much stress on the lines or filter itself?
Old 05-25-2013, 08:56 PM

Thanks guys good useful information.
@slo6i
I didn't consider getting pipe and bending it but if I recall correctly stainless pipe is one pita to bend.

@hypermax, how was the high pressure hose and clamps been holding up? I didn't even consider doing this.

I'd like your guys input. I was thinking of cutting the line right before the flare and replacing the nut then reflaring. The line would be a little short but not much, do you guys think this might cause to much stress on the lines or filter itself?
Old 05-25-2013, 09:08 PM

no issues yet i was told if you cheap out and buy just reg hose the gass will eat it eventually but i think i spent like maybe 10$ and had no issues yet
Old 05-26-2013, 09:49 PM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Red face

I have never had luck flaring old line it most often just cracks.

I have used fuel injection line and clamps for repairs like this.

It is not that the gas will damage regular line but the higher pressure of the fuel injection may rupture the line and the regular worm drive clamps can damage the hose enough to cause a failure.
Old 05-27-2013, 11:35 PM

Thanks for the replies guys. Got it fixed, went to the junk yard and pulled the rear line from another yota.
Old 05-28-2013, 02:17 AM

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Eatsleepbreathtrails
Thanks for the replies guys. Got it fixed, went to the junk yard and pulled the rear line from another yota.
That's was I was going to suggest. Save alot of money also. Glad you got it taken care of.