Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Steering knuckle bushing/needle bearing grease

Old 05-13-2016, 07:02 AM

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
Steering knuckle bushing/needle bearing grease

In the process of rebuilding the front end of my 94 and I decided to go the knuckle bushings & needle bearings route for the steering knuckle. I am a little confused on what grease to use.

In referencing the jimrockford write up https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f128...4runner-76360/ he is using pt# 08887-80219 for the bushings and bearings. I picked up a tube of it and it is a white synthetic oil/lithium soap based grease. It is very thin in comparison to something like wheel bearing grease. The FSM says to use a molybdenum disulfide lithium base grease. The FSM does not take into account the needle bearings so I am not sure if they require some other type of grease.

I'm concerned about the "thinness" of the 08887-80219 grease and how it will hold up over time. I would appreciate any recommendations.

Cheers
Andy
Old 05-13-2016, 01:01 PM

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts
That's what the doctor ordered. So It must be good enough.
http://www.toyotaparts.metro-toyota....T-DL94-001.pdf
Old 05-13-2016, 03:18 PM

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
Thanks for posting that link MudHippy, I have not seen it before, very helpful!!!!!
One thing I do notice in the PDF is that it states only applying that grease to the inner side. I do not see any mention of the outer bushing.
Will go with what it states.

Everything went pretty smooth on the driver side except the nuts on the upper control arm shaft decided to strip out and ruined the threads on the shaft and I made sure to unstake them, so had to order a new upper control arm shaft. Needless to say I will be cutting off the ones on the passenger side as that was a $100 screw up.
Ball joints
Tie rod assembly
Rotors
Wheel bearings
Control arm bushings
Knuckle bushings/needle bearings
Various seals
Rebooted & regreased the CV shafts

All Toyota parts except I cheaped out on the control arm bushings and went poly.
4crawler wheel bearing kit which appears to be just as good as OEM.

The passenger side is being somewhat of a pita. The shock eye has decided to fuse itself to the bolt and it looks like I may have to cut the bolt to get the shock off. Then order another bolt.

Getting old for this type of work, creeping up on 60, and having to do it outside in the driveway. I am soooo slow but it gets done. Lol.

Cheers
Andy

Last edited by Andy A; 05-13-2016 at 04:23 PM.

Search this Thread