86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

SR5 Replacement Fabric - Any Options?

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2017, 09:35 PM

Received 331 Likes on 246 Posts
Originally Posted by Charles4x4
Thanks. It’s been a fun project over the past few months. Ended up working on over 100 different things in the partial restoration. A few exterior pics in case anyone wants to see how we tried to make the exterior and interior close to factory original 30+ yrs ago.
It looks very good. Congrats!
If I'm in your shoes, I'd remove the windshield aluminium trim, you already removed the arc wheel ones.
You're missing the original radio and the 4 rear seat hinge covers as far as I can see when I compare yours with mine. A set of those covers pop up once in a while in eBay, and I was offered a factory radio once, if you're interested I can point you to the seller, maybe he still have it.
Where did you buy those grey rubber mats? I like them also.
Old 11-24-2017, 06:47 AM

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by SomedayJ
It looks very good. Congrats!
If I'm in your shoes, I'd remove the windshield aluminium trim, you already removed the arc wheel ones.
You're missing the original radio and the 4 rear seat hinge covers as far as I can see when I compare yours with mine. A set of those covers pop up once in a while in eBay, and I was offered a factory radio once, if you're interested I can point you to the seller, maybe he still have it.
Where did you buy those grey rubber mats? I like them also.
Good eye!
- I love the aluminum windshield trim - matches the rest of the crime outline pieces.
- Any ideas where I could get a set of the arc wheel and side molding trim? I looked, but didn’t find them anywhere.
- Yes, radio/speakers is where I deviate from factory intentionally (I have an OEM unit). I really like the touchscreen radio and all new speakers Over factory - having hands free calling, Bluetooth for streaming , and DVDs for the kids is nice.
- I have 2 rear seat hinge covers. Looked high and low for 2 more, but only $100+ full set of hardware, hinges, and covers in black so far on Ebay
- Rubber mays are pretty standard cut to fit liners that the PO put in.
Old 07-17-2018, 12:06 PM

Bringing this one back from the dead. Unfortunately my latest, and possibly final restoration project has hit a snag with Factory Cloth specs again! I have a small tear in the Drivers seat - my local Trim Shop looked through 3 Detroit books, but no luck finding anything on '87 SR5 Gray Cloth. See attached pics of both the factory cloth and the "closest match" she could find.

Help?
Attached Thumbnails SR5 Replacement Fabric - Any Options?-87-toyota-4runner-sr5-turbo-gray-fabric-torn-front-seat.jpg   SR5 Replacement Fabric - Any Options?-87-toyota-4runner-sr5-turbo-gray-fabric-good-condition-rear-seat.jpg  
Old 07-17-2018, 10:17 PM

Our 4Runners (Surf in the asian market) were assembled in Japan, I have a local friend living there, I asked him the same question last year, he searched for the supplier but he couldn't find the right cloth, he tried in a few car seat reupholstery shops but no luck. If you find something, I'm interested also.
What you can do is buy a 4Runner passenger's seat, they are in good/better shape than the other one (usuallly), then install that cloth in your driver's seat.
Old 07-18-2018, 04:26 AM

Our 4Runners (Surf in the asian market) were assembled in Japan, I have a local friend living there, I asked him the same question last year, he searched for the supplier but he couldn't find the right cloth, he tried in a few car seat reupholstery shops but no luck. If you find something, I'm interested also.
What you can do is buy a 4Runner passenger's seat, they are in good/better shape than the other one (usuallly), then install that cloth in your driver's seat.
Thanks - that’s the plan. Just have to find a Passenger Seat bottom somewhere. Where did you find yours?

BTW - I asked a friend with Toyota who has access to the archives. Fingers crossed.
Old 07-18-2018, 05:50 AM

Received 805 Likes on 528 Posts
local c-list. might be same person i've purchased 4runner parts from before, not sure.

1988 4runner sr5 seats
Old 07-18-2018, 06:07 AM

I have 2 88 4Runners, I got the first one to restore (lets call it Red) and one day, when I was looking for parts, the second one popped up close to my place (Blue), so I went for it because the price was cheap. Red has a perfect interior, several dings and dents, some body rust but nothing serious, Blue has a straight body, complete maintenance record from a Toyota dealer, 125000 miles on the clock, but not a perfect interior. So I decided to suspend Red restoration process and bring Blue back to its original mint condition first, using the best parts of both trucks. And that is how Blue driver's seat looks good now.

Last edited by SomedayJ; 03-04-2020 at 05:05 AM.
Old 07-18-2018, 01:54 PM

Originally Posted by wallytoo
local c-list. might be same person i've purchased 4runner parts from before, not sure.

1988 4runner sr5 seats
Thanks for sending this! I called the guy in NH and he sent me pics. They were from a '88 and unfortunately the cloth was different that year!

Still on the search.
Old 07-18-2018, 01:55 PM

I have 2 88 4Runners, I got the first one to restore (lets call it Red) and one day, when I was looking for parts, the second one popped up close to my place (Blue), so I went for it because the price was cheap. Red has a perfect interior, several dings and dents, some body rust but nothing serious, Blue has a straight body, complete maintenance record from a Toyota dealer, 125000 miles on the clock, but not a perfect interior. So I decided to suspend Red restoration process and bring Blue back to its original mint condition first, using the best parts of both trucks. And that is how Blue driver's seat looks good now.
Nice, love the history! Now I just need to get lucky like you and find one of these needles in the haystack.
Old 07-18-2018, 01:56 PM

I also contacted Toyota directly, but they don't have any records of the seat cloth fabric specs either