Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx
Old 02-09-2016, 10:13 AM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Interior Guides
Print Wikipost

SR5 Gauge Cluster Swap - How-to, with pics!

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2013, 12:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by SpeedCrazy
Great write up. I would love to do this but am having problems finding a sr5 cluster at a reasonable price. How much did y'all have to pay to get your clusters?
i paid 75 for mine... they said if i had any problems they would exchange it... although it worked great
Old 06-15-2013, 12:58 PM

Originally Posted by Scrussanation
i paid 75 for mine... they said if i had any problems they would exchange it... although it worked great
If i might ask, where did you buy it?
Old 06-15-2013, 01:03 PM

Originally Posted by SpeedCrazy
If i might ask, where did you buy it?
Had a buddy thabeen workin in auto shop 25 years. Asked him to get it for me. Supposedly he got it thru a junkyard thaguaranteed it works. Basically same price i see them go on ebay for. I just saved money wit shipping lol
Old 06-15-2013, 04:53 PM

So, after following the diagnosis in the FSM about the oil pressure gauge, I have determined that the gauge is fine, but the sender is the problem. Local auto parts are transfering another one to them and I should have a working gauge by tomorrow.

Is there any way to bench test these before I buy it to make sure its good?
Old 06-15-2013, 05:32 PM

Originally Posted by slo6i
So, after following the diagnosis in the FSM about the oil pressure gauge, I have determined that the gauge is fine, but the sender is the problem. Local auto parts are transfering another one to them and I should have a working gauge by tomorrow.

Is there any way to bench test these before I buy it to make sure its good?
not that i know of... i would just pop it on real quick while your there and if it acts funny then u know
Old 06-16-2013, 12:33 PM

Originally Posted by Scrussanation
not that i know of... i would just pop it on real quick while your there and if it acts funny then u know
Followed your advice and just put it in in the parking lot before leaving. Works perfectly now with a new sender.
Old 06-16-2013, 12:51 PM

Followed your advice and just put it in in the parking lot before leaving. Works perfectly now with a new sender.
Glad it wourked out for you. Hopefully it wasnt too hard i remember replacing mine it seemed to give me crap lining up the threads lol luckily withy lift i t go thru my wheewell. Glad it worked out for ya!
Old 06-16-2013, 02:40 PM

Yeah, I did have to sit there for about 3 mins and try and figure out the right angle to get it threaded in.

Added bonus that I just found out. Because the gauge came out of a runner that had the 31x10.50x15 wheels, my speedo is now correct!

Last edited by slo6i; 06-16-2013 at 02:41 PM.
Old 06-16-2013, 06:20 PM

Yeah, I did have to sit there for about 3 mins and try and figure out the right angle to get it threaded in.

Added bonus that I just found out. Because the gauge came out of a runner that had the 31x10.50x15 wheels, my speedo is now correct!
glad to know I wasnt the only one who has the angle problem... at first i thought maybe just maybe i got wrong one... i even took my original back and it went right in... i was like "wtf is going on here" then decided go thru wheel well and got it lol
Old 06-17-2013, 02:58 PM

Did this swap today in my 89, got the cluster here on YT for $50.

I DID have to run a tach wire, but that was simple. The two wire harness on the ignition coil had one back/red and one black/white wire. Spliced into the black/white and ran a wire the "p" screw on the back of the tach. Very simple, worked great.

Have not replaced the oil sensor yet, but I did unplug the old one first thing (thanks to the OP for that little nugget!). Will get it changed when I get the chance, I can live without an oil gauge for the time being. Temp gauge, tach, speedo and volt work great. Fuel gauge, I'm not so sure. I put gas in it last night, so the tank is full. The gauge is pegged on F right now, so we'll see if it goes down. I'm thinking that since my truck was not wired for tach, I may have to do some mods for the fuel gauge too.
Old 06-17-2013, 03:21 PM

Originally Posted by blacktail hunter
Did this swap today in my 89, got the cluster here on YT for $50.

I DID have to run a tach wire, but that was simple. The two wire harness on the ignition coil had one back/red and one black/white wire. Spliced into the black/white and ran a wire the "p" screw on the back of the tach. Very simple, worked great.

Have not replaced the oil sensor yet, but I did unplug the old one first thing (thanks to the OP for that little nugget!). Will get it changed when I get the chance, I can live without an oil gauge for the time being. Temp gauge, tach, speedo and volt work great. Fuel gauge, I'm not so sure. I put gas in it last night, so the tank is full. The gauge is pegged on F right now, so we'll see if it goes down. I'm thinking that since my truck was not wired for tach, I may have to do some mods for the fuel gauge too.
what make u think the fuel guage dont work anyways?? mine worked right aftert install... was skeptical tho because it was at like half way so i thought was supposed to read full or empy since no resistance was there but it works flawlessly so i cant knock it... id be willin to bet your fuel guage works. its rare that they dont usually sensor on tank or somethin of that nature
Old 06-17-2013, 04:57 PM

Originally Posted by blacktail hunter
...I put gas in it last night, so the tank is full. The gauge is pegged on F right now, so we'll see if it goes down. I'm thinking that since my truck was not wired for tach, I may have to do some mods for the fuel gauge too.
I had this concern too. But I have seen it go down in the past couple days. (I love the gas mileage in my rig!) Ive noticed, after swapping the odometers, that my speedo needle wobbles a little bit when travelling below 50mph. Also, I incorrectly stated that my speedo was accurate... I may have been wrong... havent had anyone to test it with yet.
Old 06-17-2013, 05:17 PM

It may be fine, we'll see. Its just different than my old one, when you start it, it pegs to full real fast instead of the slow climb my old one did. Guess I'll find out
Old 06-17-2013, 09:02 PM

EDIT: Went out tonight to check the lights in the new cluster, and noticed that the fuel gauge is pegged on full even with the key off. Is this normal? My old gauge didnt do this.
Old 06-18-2013, 11:26 AM

Disregard previous post. Fuel gauge is working.
Old 06-20-2013, 07:13 AM

Done the swap and my fuel gauge is pegged and will not go down, even un plugged! Someone please put the fix for this in idiot terms. Wiring is like brain surgery to me...Thanks.
Old 07-06-2013, 11:00 AM

Very informative. I recently purchased an SR5 gauge cluster and oil pressure sensor from the local junkyard here in Tucson out of a 91 4 runner to swap into my 90 pickup. I couldn't stand not having a tach and running a 5 speed.
Very easy to do and this write up helped eliminate all those what if/what next questions I had since this was my first gauge cluster swap in a toyota truck.

Thanks again for sharing.
Old 08-31-2013, 04:45 PM

I found out if your oil pressure gauge isn't working, make sure you didn't install a bulb in the bottom right socket, at least on the 84-89 gauges. It is essentially an oil pressure light that can't be seen and will make a bypass around the gauge. This was one of the most frustrating things to figure out that has ever happened to my trucks.
Old 09-01-2013, 06:15 PM

Post Should Be a Sticky...

Thanks! My SR5 instrument swap went without a hitch. I retrieved a cluster from a 94' 4Runner and made sure it had the cable speedo. I checked ALL the bulbs and they were good. After matching the odometer miles (no small thanks to your post). I had it bolted-up and indicating.

Another mod goal complete!
Old 10-03-2013, 03:11 PM

Great write-up, everything works as described. I have a 93 4x2 22re 5spd with nothing but air, no PS. Mine was manufacturered 6/93 and has the electric speedometer. The speedometer started acting up, miles would roll by but the needle was sporadic. That told me the speed sensor was good and a test verified it. Purchased a used cluster from with similar engine/trans. I did not have the tach wire, so I followed the instructions ealrier in this post and tapped into the black wire in the harness above the master cylinder under the hood. Since my new SR5 cluster had about 12" of the harness still attached, I removed the black wire from the connector that was in position #6 and added it to my existing plug in the dash. If you follow position 6, it leads straight to the P screw on the back of the cluster. The oil pr sensor just arrived today, so now everything works.

Thanks again to all of you who have written about how to do it, nice to have all the guages.

Didn't stop there, also purchased a new wiper/tunr signal switch, so I now have intermittent wipers. No puller needed for the steering wheel, wiggled it and used lots of brute force and pulled it loose. Great idea to loosen the nut and leave it on so the wheel doesn't fly off.

Haven't tried to adjust the odo yet, on my list for the weekend.

Quick Reply: SR5 Gauge Cluster Swap - How-to, with pics!