Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx
Old 02-09-2016, 10:13 AM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Interior Guides
Print Wikipost

SR5 Gauge Cluster Swap - How-to, with pics!

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2011, 09:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Northwest, close to Ann/Decatur. Who knows how long I'll be here though haha I'm lookin for work and so far Vegas has been a dead end for me.
Old 01-25-2011, 09:44 PM

I hear ya ' ! This town has gone to crap and then some, haven't worked in over a year and a half now, started driving the the Toyota more now since diesel is 30-40 more a gallon then regular, good thing I held onto it. Same reason I'm getting her back in shape, so I can enjoy driving it more, new seats, fixed the back window, and now tomorrow, the gauge panel swap ! After that, hopefully a header and exhaust system. I'm over here off Trop/ Eastern .
Old 01-26-2011, 03:49 PM

Got it in there and operating, have the the tach dialed in as well ! Only issue (?) is the oil pressure gauge only goes to half scale on a cold start... wrong sending unit, or should I hook up a manual gauge to it and see what I have ? 10w30 Pennz Platinum synthetic in it for the time being. Are those metric threads or 1/8 NPT ? Sending unit I bought at Autozone and it had a bag of various washers/ spacers/ restrictors in there as well, any idea WTF those are for ????
Old 01-26-2011, 09:55 PM

well im not quite sure if what you're describing is normal operation... the oil pressure gauge usually stays around the middle. Im not sure what to tell ya about the threads, my guess would be metric cause the only standard thing i have found on the truck so far is drain plugs and lug nuts, but who knows. (not me!) and the assortment of crap they gave you with the sending unit, I'm not sure why they would give you all that stuff. was this their universal aftermarket sending unit? I remember looking online at the website a while back and they only had the switch, and then an aftermaket "accessory/universal" pressure sender. I ordered mine off rockauto.com, and it just came with the sender, nothing else.
Old 01-26-2011, 10:09 PM

Originally Posted by ebye90
well im not quite sure if what you're describing is normal operation... the oil pressure gauge usually stays around the middle. Im not sure what to tell ya about the threads, my guess would be metric cause the only standard thing i have found on the truck so far is drain plugs and lug nuts, but who knows. (not me!) and the assortment of crap they gave you with the sending unit, I'm not sure why they would give you all that stuff. was this their universal aftermarket sending unit? I remember looking online at the website a while back and they only had the switch, and then an aftermaket "accessory/universal" pressure sender. I ordered mine off rockauto.com, and it just came with the sender, nothing else.
How does your gauge read... cold idle, hot, cruising, etc. ? I remember seeing something here saying you could get different results depending on who made the gauges... Denso, or Kazaki... anyone ? I remember my 87 turbo would get up around 7/8 at cold idle, and run about the 3/4 mark cruising down the road, and about 1/4 hot idle.
Old 01-26-2011, 10:33 PM

Found it !

Originally Posted by HAI-TEK7
Nice write-up. I'm going to do this swap as well.

What oil pressure sensor/switch did you use? When i looked one up there was 2 for the guage. There was a yazaki and denso. I've been searching alittle on this and seem like you have to match it with the cluster you have? there should be a name on the back of the cluster?(i didnt receive my cluster yet) can someone clarify this?
Anyone else have to deal with 2 sending units for the gauge ?
Old 01-26-2011, 10:45 PM

the sender I used was a beck arnley sender. in all reality i dont beleive the manufacturer of the sender matters, so long as it is designed for your engine and the fitment notes say "with gauge". my (aproximate) oil pressure gauge readings: cold idle just over a half cold cruise about 3/4 of the way up, hot idle between 1/4 and 1/2 and hot cruise between 1/2 and 3/4. I dont think I have seen it get much more than 3/4 of the way up the gauge.
Old 01-26-2011, 10:47 PM

If im not imagining things anyway... thats my best guess, but Ill double check tomorrow morning
Old 01-27-2011, 09:57 PM

well...

... went to Toyota today and ordered a sending unit in. Once he got to the SR5 version, he made a strange face and said uh oh, need to know who made the gauge panel. No problem I replied, yazaki, he was impressed, should be in tomorrow, see if that changes my gauge readings any .
Old 02-04-2011, 03:04 PM

Is it possible to put in the little LED lights backwards (ie., reversed polarity)? It's a diode, afterall, which are designed to allow juice to flow in only one direction. If so, would the only thing to fry be the light itself? Also if it's possible to put them in backwards, are there any indicators to prevent doing so?
Old 02-04-2011, 06:20 PM
Contributing Member

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts
it's not going to fry the LED, it just wont light up

if you look closely you can usually determine the polarity of the LED by the looks of the inside of the bulb. on the majority of them, the larger side is the - while the smaller side is the +

but it's honestly easier just to plug them in and see if they work. make a note of which ones don't light up, unplug and pull the cluster back out and flip the bulbs around
Old 02-04-2011, 08:55 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
X2 on that LED thing it wont fry 'em when I put mine in I had to take the cluster back out and reverse 2 of them. Info on bulbs etc. is in my build thread.
Old 02-04-2011, 08:58 PM

Thanks Gents!

But then the follow up question is after I determine witch side the bulb's "+" pole is, how do I orient it in the cluster?

Last edited by briholt; 02-04-2011 at 09:02 PM.
Old 02-05-2011, 11:36 AM
Contributing Member

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts
Originally Posted by briholt
Thanks Gents!

But then the follow up question is after I determine witch side the bulb's "+" pole is, how do I orient it in the cluster?
that's why trial and error is just easier, lol
Old 02-05-2011, 04:41 PM

Originally Posted by iamsuperbleeder
that's why trial and error is just easier, lol
'fraid you'd say that.

I had a hell of time getting my hands in and out from behind the cluster.

I found a pic of someone with a lexus cluster who marked the poles on the cluster, I might try using it to get some bearings.
Old 02-20-2011, 06:25 AM

I just did the SR5 gauge swap on my '88. The sender and gauge panel are matched since I pulled them from the same parts truck. Tach reads fine but no oil pressure. Speedo and odo are out too, but that's probably a cable problem since they were out with the stock gauge panel too (this truck sat for years, swapped in a "new" 22RE motor, trans, and case).

Anyone know how to test the oil pressure sender or the gauge itself rather than throwing money into new parts? Oh, the sender took a little bump at one time - the threads are bent (no visible cracks, however) so it wobbles as it is threaded into the block. No visible leaks. But could the guts have gotten bunged up? Thx in advance, great thread!
Old 02-28-2011, 03:35 PM

Speedo cable snapped at trans but still trying to figure out the oil sender v. oil gauge bit. "Is there anybody out there?"
Old 02-28-2011, 04:18 PM

Try a new sender, Could also be the gauge itself, I have 2 bad ones... one reads about 1/2 scale when it should be almost pegged, other doesn't do jack˟˟˟˟ . Need to find someone that knows how to rebuild them, NLA from Yota they told me, let alone the price was up in the 200+ range for just the oil/ temp combo !!!!
Old 03-03-2011, 08:41 AM

I completed the 22re delux cluster to SR5 V6 cluster swap. I upped the resistance by about 20K ohms as recommended on page one (41K -> 62K). By my calculations in 5th gear at 60mph i should be reading 2465rpm, but i was at about 2700rpm. I was hoping someone could let me know what they are reading in 5th at 60mph. Also on my SR5 gauge, the speedo needle is a little loose, it wiggles while at speed. Is there any cure for this? my two clusters don't come apart like the ones on page one where the push in part on the speedo cable can be replaced. Thanks
Old 03-03-2011, 03:57 PM

I just thought of something. I think the previous owner did a cluster swap on my truck. The Cluster works, RPM, all the gauges, etc. But based on hiltu's recent comment, I wonder if the rpm gauge is off.

how would one check that?

Quick Reply: SR5 Gauge Cluster Swap - How-to, with pics!