Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Spindle Lubricator® for IFS axle shaft. PICTURES!

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2008, 06:52 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
ok i got the nut. where do i find the top peice the spindle lubricator?? any auto shop?
Old 01-26-2008, 07:23 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Basically the tool consists of four pieces; the grease zirk, the end cap, the threaded section (pipe), & the nut. Which of those are you talking about when you say "top piece"? If it's the grease zirk (brass grease fitting) then yes, any auto parts place should have a selection. I got mine at NAPA, five in a box for a couple bucks.
Old 01-26-2008, 08:52 AM

cool.. no where had that big of pipe so im making mine from abs.. ill post a pic... its gonna work good i think...
Old 02-21-2008, 05:05 AM

Mine worked, I used it while I had the C-clip & end bolt off the shaft putting on my new (new to me) Aisin's & by the time grease pumped out the back it had pushed the axle out the back of the spindle housing LOL....it was a pain trying to get that circlip back on the axle after that....but it did work well.
Old 02-21-2008, 05:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Guess I will have to try again. I obviously didn't get enough grease in to push the axle out.

Last edited by 93Toyota PU; 02-21-2008 at 05:42 PM.
Old 02-21-2008, 06:15 PM

Built one...works very well. Noise free for 3 weeks now, you the man
Old 02-24-2008, 02:09 PM

Built one, was working great...til the cold weld(JB) let go of the pipe. Not knocking the tool, mind you, just don't use JB weld.
Old 08-17-2008, 12:27 PM

Built one, love it!!!!!! Much props!
Old 09-16-2008, 07:00 PM

If anyone has avoided doing this due to not having a spare axle nut (like me), I found a solution that may be easier.

Basically, I took a 1.5" pvc pipe cap, drilled a hole in the end of it, and bolted it to the end of the axle shaft (after removing the hub of course). I drilled and tapped a hole for a grease nipple, then installed that in the pvc as well. I cut some gaskets out of an inner tube to seal the whole thing. It worked very well, and you don't have to remove the axle nut. Also, the axle shaft is held in place so it won't be difficult to get it back in when the whole deal is full of grease.

Here are some photos:

First, pull the hub. Then remove the retainer circlip and washer:

Then, bolt your simple little pvc cap onto the axle shaft, with a couple homemade gaskets. I got a longer bolt to use, but then had to stick some other washers and a nut on there as spacers. Later, I found out that that should not be necessary:

Once you've pumped it full of grease for a while, in order to see if you've got enough grease in there, you'll have to pull the axle through the inner side a bit. At this point, I realized that I could have stuck a spacer back there (like a 1/2" extension) from the beginning and avoided the spacers on the bolt. Also, you could probably shorten the pvc cap by 5/8" or so and waste less grease in the process. Here is the back side, showing the grease starting to squeeze out:

Even though I had to buy the 1/4-28 tap for the grease nipple, the whole thing cost 10 bucks or so, and was really really easy to make. Also, as I mentioned above, you don't have to remove and re-set your axle nut, and the axle won't get pushed out during the process.
Old 12-24-2008, 01:04 PM
Contributing Member

I just made one of these pvc versions, and it seemed to have worked great. No more noise (for now at least).Definately try to use rubber material as a gasket. I used cork gasket material, and it was tough to get it to seal without ripping. I will get some rubber material and try it on the other side axle.
Old 12-24-2008, 01:13 PM

i used pvc and jb weld.. doesn't look the prettiest but it should work!
Old 12-24-2008, 06:41 PM
Contributing Member

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts
that's look's purdy neat!

what is the gasket pressing against and sealing with, the outer spindle lock-nut?

hmmmm, very intersting...
Old 01-01-2009, 08:42 PM

I previously only did one of mine, but the other one recently started making noise, so I lubed it up and it's nice and quiet again. This time I stuck a spacer in back before squeezing in the grease, and worked great. You do have to push the axle back through afterwards, which can be tough. I tied a small loop into a piece of rope, then bolted it to the axle using the end bolt with the big washer. I then pulled on the rope while pushing the circlip back onto the axle, and it was actually pretty easy to get the circlip into the groove.

One thing I should mention: if your truck is in 4wd and the hubs are locked before you try to pull a hub off, it'll probably be difficult. Make sure to unlock the hub and shift the transfer case to 2wd to release the tension on the hub.

Superbleeder: yep, it seals against the flat side of the axle nut. I got a little bit of grease seeping out past the gasket the 2nd time I used it, but not enough to cause any problems. If you get too much squeezing out you can always just tighten the bolt a bit more.

Last edited by Andy87; 01-01-2009 at 08:45 PM.
Old 01-01-2009, 11:55 PM

Where do you buy the zirc fitting?

I just replaced a whole spindle/bushings ... Well i had a spare steering knuckle and no time to wait for special ordered bushings to replace....

but this would be AWESOME to do on my driver side, which is fine but id like to re-grease it without tearing the axle out (pita).
Old 01-02-2009, 09:39 PM

Any generic auto parts store should have the zerks. Just make sure you get the same size as your grease gun. I had to buy a pack of 8 fittings I think, but it was still only a couple bucks.
Old 01-07-2009, 02:37 PM

Andy87 (or anyone for that matter), I'm looking out my truck outside as it snows, hoping I can possibly do this little trick before it gets too cold, but for your PVC version of this tool, do you happen to know the thread size of the bolt you used to tighten down the tool (the bolt that has a stack of washers underneath it. I was just hoping I could get everything ready in advance rather than going out there, pulling the hub of, and trying all the bolts in my bucket to find the right one...

Thanks!

-Chris
Old 01-07-2009, 11:04 PM

I don't remember, and greasing apparatus is tuckedd away out in the shed in the snow unfortunately... but you could always pull the hub, then pull the axle end-bolt, and when you come back inside to warm up, bring the axle bolt and your bucket and figure it out where it's warm!
Old 01-26-2009, 12:34 PM

For those of you who have made the PVC version on the spindle lubricator, do you know what size of bolt I should use to bolt the lubricator onto the axle shaft? I ask because I don't have a bunch of random bolts laying around and will probably have to go buy the right size. Thanks!
Old 02-02-2009, 08:18 PM

Well I lubricated my spindle bushing today with the PVC version of the spidle lubricator and the correct size bolt is M8 35 mm, don't even need any washers this way. Thanks for the write-up guys!
Old 10-14-2009, 05:34 PM

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Well, i had enough of the sound so i decided to make the pvc version. only thing that is screwing me over right now is the thread for the nipple.. i cant get it and they didnt have the tap size.. oh well atleast i got a clean freshly rebuild passenger hub that turns nice lol.

Quick Reply: Spindle Lubricator® for IFS axle shaft. PICTURES!