86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Sluggish/Timing problem

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2011, 06:49 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sluggish/Timing problem

ok, here's the deal. I have a 1986 4runner that my uncle gave me. It is EFI. It had a cracked block when my uncle gave it to me, so i bought the only engine i could find that i could afford, which came out of an 83 2wd pickup. I converted it from carb to EFI before i put it in the truck, but there was no threaded hole for the knock sensor so i did not put it on. When i went to start it, it would start for a few seconds and die. After about a week of searching, i found a main ground wire that i had not hooked up. Got it running. You can take off and it run great until you hit 2nd gear, at which point it throws a MIL and retards the timing extensively. I'm going to school for this, so i took it to school and checked the timing and the codes. It has a code for the knock sensor, but im not quite sure what it's supposed to mean. I've never heard of a judgment level for a knock sensor needing to be reached. I can plug the knock sensor in and tie it up out of the way and it changes nothing. To make the truck run worth anything, the base timing has to be set to about 15 degrees advanced because when you hit 2nd gear, it retards extensively. Thats about all i know, so any idea's would be appreciated.
Old 04-16-2011, 07:06 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Well.... That knock sensor HAS to be there! What it does is (obviously) listens for knock or ping (detonation, pre-ignition, etc..) and retards the timing to prevent the knock.... if the sensor is not hooked up, it will automatically retard the timing 10*... idk about the 22r or re, but on the 3.0's the sensor only listens for knock between 1700 rpm, and 6000 rpm( i think those #'s are accurate), and the motor has to make 6 full revs, without feedback from the sensor before it will trip the cel, so that could be why you dont get the cel till 2nd gear.
If I'm not mistaken... the sensor usually bolts to the pass side of the block, dont imagine there would be a hole for it on a carb'd motor tho, so you may have to think outside of the box on this one.... Is there a lift hook on the motor that you can bolt it too? anywhere on the motor really should work, but just tying up outta the way will not do, it needs to sense the vibration from the motor, it then sends a slight charge to the ecu letting it know its functioning, if not bolted to the block, it wont function properly, and you will get the cel/

Hope this info helps.... and Good luck!
Old 04-16-2011, 07:14 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
see, i didnt think of it that way. it'll probbly work on one of the hooks or something of that nature. I'll just find somewhere to drill and thread a hole so it'l screw into it and we'll see what happens. thanks a mucho! it always helps to have another perspective haha
Old 04-16-2011, 07:25 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
np, just make sure you dont overtorque it when u bolt it on, I'm not sure the exact specs, but I know it is not very much! If u over torque it, there is a chance it will break some of the internal components.