Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Should I replace the headgasket or just....

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2007, 12:08 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Should I replace the headgasket or just....

So, think I should replace the headgasket on swampthing so I can cruise and abuse her more, or just wait till I find me that 4bt and do the swap here in the next couple of months?

Somehow, miraculously I have an entire free day tomorrow, and nothing else to work on seeing as how I just replaced the clutch on my cummins, so I'm at a loss of what to do on a day that I have absolutely nothing to do
Old 10-14-2007, 12:09 AM

And I'm already drunk, so you can scratch that from me list of things to do!
Old 10-14-2007, 12:14 AM
Contributing Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Way to go. You gotta keep it up all day tomorrow. No better way to enjoy your day off
Old 10-14-2007, 12:26 AM

Yeah, the gilr friend bought me over some vaniller vodka and Ive been sippin on that for a good long while. Now Im much more of a jack and coke type of guy, but hell, alcohol I aint gotta pay for is alcohol I aint gotta pay for!

Sure ill probably pass out here before too long, just caint decide what I wanan do tomorrow. Go fishin, or fix the head gasket, drop the motor back in, reconnect drivelines, and have something to go wheel the piss out of till I get the motor and inclination to do do the sawp.
Old 10-14-2007, 05:55 AM

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Hey Clint....long time no see.

If you fix the HG and run it for now, you can always sell the 4cyl cheap when you're ready to swap....provided you haven't trashed it.
Old 10-14-2007, 08:36 AM

4 cyl easy , theres your days work you needed
Old 10-14-2007, 09:56 AM

Howdy thook.

Well got it all torn down, and just had it finished up at the machine shop.

Only concern is using this napa gasket. I can tell the oem hg is of MUCH higher quality and duribility than this napa gasket. So I can either throw this in here for now, drop the motor back in, and run around with only 2wd. Or I can wait till tomorrow to hit up a dealership and get an oem hg...

Oh that's a "funny" story, why I'll only have rwd till I can go and have another dog gone driveshaft made. Friend of mine asked if I had any scrap layin around that I wanted hauled off (he recycles metal on the weekends). I told him yeah, there's probably a good 2 tons of carbide steel that I don't care to load into a trailer then unload again in my backyard. Well, silly me, I left my front driveshaft, some 62" chevy springs, and all the old ifs stuff just laying right infront of my scrap pile. Well, as you can imagine, all that nice stuff is gone... Oh well!
Old 10-14-2007, 10:37 AM

Head Gasket

Originally Posted by SwampThing
Howdy thook.

Only concern is using this napa gasket. I can tell the oem hg is of MUCH higher quality and duribility than this napa gasket. So I can either throw this in here for now, drop the motor back in, and run around with only 2wd. Or I can wait till tomorrow to hit up a dealership and get an oem hg...

Oh that's a "funny" story, why I'll only have rwd till I can go and have another dog gone driveshaft made. Friend of mine asked if I had any scrap layin around that I wanted hauled off (he recycles metal on the weekends). I told him yeah, there's probably a good 2 tons of carbide steel that I don't care to load into a trailer then unload again in my backyard. Well, silly me, I left my front driveshaft, some 62" chevy springs, and all the old ifs stuff just laying right infront of my scrap pile. Well, as you can imagine, all that nice stuff is gone... Oh well!
If the OEM is better then use the OEM , it is your Head Gasket after all , want to use new bolts and a good gasket , don't want to be doing that job again

Last edited by n4ynu1010; 10-14-2007 at 10:40 AM.
Old 10-17-2007, 05:22 PM

Howdy thook.

Ooooo....bummer. Those springs and driveshaft could've come in handy. But, you weren't going to do anything with the IFS parts anyway, were you? I suppose you could've sold 'em, though. Right...oh well.

Gee...if you have serious doubts about the HG, take it back....get the OEM, for sure. Knowing you're luck, you'd blow the NAPA....
Old 10-17-2007, 06:19 PM

Originally Posted by thook
Ooooo....bummer. Those springs and driveshaft could've come in handy. But, you weren't going to do anything with the IFS parts anyway, were you? I suppose you could've sold 'em, though. Right...oh well.

Gee...if you have serious doubts about the HG, take it back....get the OEM, for sure. Knowing you're luck, you'd blow the NAPA....
OEM at the very least
Old 10-18-2007, 05:06 AM

For thou lovest thine Yota, thouest buy OEM.

Oh wait...he loveth Dodge.
Old 10-18-2007, 11:09 AM

For thou lovest thine Yota, thouest buy OEM.

Oh wait...he loveth Dodge.
No you didn't say that ......................Dodge?????? ..................isn't that considered an infraction if you outright love another manufacturers product openly in this forum ????

Old 10-18-2007, 07:34 PM

Only if one is a Yota snob.... To each his/her own, brother...lol
Old 10-19-2007, 07:25 AM

Only if one is a Yota snob.... To each his/her own, brother...lol
Its not about being a snob............its about Loyalty to the Yota
Old 10-19-2007, 07:25 AM

Like Yota said ..........................."Feel the Force"
Old 10-19-2007, 04:22 PM

Hey now. I love me ol' toyoter. I bought the dodge for the Cummins in it. The fact that the motor that I love is wrapped up in a dodge is definitely a con for me. If ford made a 3/4 or 1ton with a Cummins (which might still happen someday), I'd buy that instead of a dodge in a heart beat. The body will fall apart and be long gone way before the Cummins gives up the ghost. Why do you think I'm gonna be droppin a 4bt Cummins in the swampthing once I get ahold of one?

And yeah I went ahead and bought a OEM headgasket. MUCH better quality than that napa part. Yeah, knowin my luck I WOULD blow that napa one

Been plannin out how bad I'm gonna strip the swampthing. Gonna be taking the sawzall to it this weekend probably. Only thing left of the original body will probably be the cab. Front quarter panels, doors, bedsides, tailgate, and hood are gettin sawzall treatment. Gonna sheetmetal in the engine, crazy high wheel wells, sheet metal in the back of the cab with a lexan window, half doors, bobbed flatbed with built in cabinet system (think tonneau cover), then exo major body lines. Color will still be kept the Kawasaki Green.

At lease that's the plan! Just gotta find the time. 80 hour work weeks blow...

Last edited by SwampThing; 10-19-2007 at 04:28 PM.
Old 10-19-2007, 04:27 PM

Hey now. I love me ol' toyoter. I bought the dodge for the Cummins in it. The fact that the motor that I love is wrapped up in a dodge is definitely a con for me. If ford made a 3/4 or 1ton with a Cummins (which might still happen someday), I'd buy that instead of a dodge in a heart beat. The body will fall apart and be long gone way before the Cummins gives up the ghost. Why do you think I'm gonna be droppin a 4bt Cummins in the swampthing once I get ahold of one?

And yeah I went ahead and bought a OEM headgasket. MUCH better quality than that napa part. Yeah, knowin my luck I WOULD blow that napa one

Been plannin out how bad I'm gonna strip the swampthing. Gonna be taking the sawzall to it this weekend probably. Only thing left of the original body will probably be the cab. Front quarter panels, doors, bedsides, tailgate, and hood are gettin sawzall treatment. Gonna sheetmetal in the engine, crazy high wheel wells, sheet metal in the back of the cab with a lexan window, half doors, bobbed flatbed with built in cabinet system (think tonneau cover), then exo major body lines. Color will still be kept the Kawasaki Green.

At lease that's the plan! Just gotta find the time. 80 work weeks blow...
Pics Pics Pics
Old 10-19-2007, 04:35 PM

Probably take a couple months of work. Can only really work on my projects for an hour or so each night.

Always thought that money would be the limiting factor. Now it's not an issue, just finding time outside of work is the problem! Though I could have it sent out to have the work done, but then it wouldn't be an authentic redneck-ized clint-built how-many-beers-did-you-have-when-you-dreamed-that-up creation. No satisfaction like doing something yourself, taking it offroading, having the front hanger's welds break, watching your front axle drive off without you, taking it back home, reweld it, the drive around in satisfaction knowing you did all the work yourself!
Old 10-19-2007, 04:42 PM

Probably take a couple months of work. Can only really work on my projects for an hour or so each night.

Always thought that money would be the limiting factor. Now it's not an issue, just finding time outside of work is the problem! Though I could have it sent out to have the work done, but then it wouldn't be an authentic redneck-ized clint-built how-many-beers-did-you-have-when-you-dreamed-that-up creation. No satisfaction like doing something yourself, taking it offroading, having the front hanger's welds break, watching your front axle drive off without you, taking it back home, reweld it, the drive around in satisfaction knowing you did all the work yourself!
Yepper's
Old 10-19-2007, 09:22 PM

Yep.... Well, guess I should try and at lease get 4 hours of sleep before work! Then maybe I'll work on the swampthing manana...

Quick Reply: Should I replace the headgasket or just....