86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

AT shifting in/out of overdrive at operating temp? SOLVED

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2011, 07:47 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by JamesD
Well I would hit the trans temp sensor first. Personally I never had a TPS fail on me of all the Toyota's that I owned. If the TPS was bad, you would have other problems as well. Still you can be right and it may be the TPS but my hunch is on the transmission sensors and switches.
Not necessarily. And the TPS failed the IDL-E2 and VTA-E2 tests so I know it's bad, not just a hunch.

Oh and another thing I forgot to mention, I had an 89 truck with the 340H and I had a problem with the reverse lights. Pulled the connector to the shift selector switch and it had corrosion so you may want to check that and all the sensors and the connectors.
I'm mainly replacing the TPS because it's dead and if it resolves the OD issue, great. If not, I may troubleshoot the issue further. Eventually the slushbox is coming out and an R150F is going in so I'm not super motivated to troubleshoot it.

Post up what you find because my 89 had trans shifting issues as well but I never bothered to fix it and for years I drove it this way.
Will do.
Old 10-22-2011, 09:25 PM

Put my new Denso TPS in today. All I can say is anyone who complains about this being a difficult job either has female genitalia or very little mechanical experience. Installed and adjusted in under 15 minutes. Did not remove the hood or the throttle body...did it in place with the original hardware. Set my meter to beep on continuity, connected my homemade alligator clip probes to IDL and E2, and adjusted the TPS to cut the IDL signal at .7mm per the FSM.

Drove about 40 miles today and checked for codes. None. Idles like butter now too...not that it was bad before but now it's smoooth. No OD issues today but I'll give it a few weeks before I claim resolution again. Yeehaw.
Old 10-23-2011, 06:12 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Wink

its a easy task

Last edited by Mandy Tuning; 10-23-2011 at 06:13 AM.
Old 10-23-2011, 09:32 AM

Ya I can't believe how many people say it's a PITA and that you should remove the hood and/or throttle body.
Old 10-23-2011, 10:36 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Talking

maybe if you are 7,11" of height need to remove the hood,6.3 and only need to remove the thermosthat housing
Old 10-24-2011, 11:20 AM

Help!?!

I just bought my first 4runner. It is a 1991, V6, auto, 4wd. I have a transmission problem and trying to figure out repair/rebuild cost but can't figure out which transmission it has. Anybody have an idea? thanks
Old 10-24-2011, 11:49 AM

Welcome to YT!

You have the A340H. It's labeled on the driver side door pillar...circled below.

Search function works better than thread-jacking BTW.

UPDATE - it's only been two days but I haven't had any OD issues yet and I can't believe how good it idles when it actually sees the IDL signal from the TPS.

Last edited by BMcEL; 10-24-2011 at 11:53 AM.
Old 10-24-2011, 11:54 AM

thanks for your help. brand new to this site and had trouble navigating. did not mean to jack the thread.
Old 10-24-2011, 11:57 AM

Originally Posted by 1st 4runner
thanks for your help. brand new to this site and had trouble navigating. did not mean to jack the thread.
No problem...for future reference there's a big search button near the top of the screen.
Old 10-28-2011, 02:56 PM

No OD issues all week and I have noticed smoother shifting, super steady idle, and the very faint pinging under heavy load seems to be cured. No MPG checks yet and probably won't be...I don't keep my foot out of it enough to notice a difference anyway.

I'll update again if the OD issue returns.
Old 12-07-2011, 03:50 PM

I picked up a '91 4Runner 3.slow automatic... it's doing the same thing. Bought the ECT sensor today. Will be installing tomorrow and reporting back. Thanks for the info Yotatech!
Old 12-09-2011, 06:56 AM

I have a 87 turbo with the R150 I belive, having some of these issues. Random idle, likes to die when I give it gas, acts like a air/fuel mixture issue. I know my temp sensors on the motor are old and janky, and someone messed with my electronics cause my shifted lights, nutural start, OD lights don't work. Gonna try some of these test this afternoon and see if I can dial it in, since nothing else iv tried has fixed it.
Old 12-09-2011, 08:39 AM

Originally Posted by DetroitStyle
I picked up a '91 4Runner 3.slow automatic... it's doing the same thing. Bought the ECT sensor today. Will be installing tomorrow and reporting back. Thanks for the info Yotatech!
Replacing my ECT fixed it for a while but the TPS ultimately resolved it. I think both sensors were on their way out. Test your ECT before you replace it. No sense in replacing good parts. If it does test good, test the TPS next. If the TPS is good, it could still also be the trans temp sensor. Mine is taking longer and longer to get into OD now, so I think the third and final sensor that has an affect on OD engagement is also on it's way out.

Originally Posted by RiverRat Cargel
I have a 87 turbo with the R150 I belive, having some of these issues. Random idle, likes to die when I give it gas, acts like a air/fuel mixture issue. I know my temp sensors on the motor are old and janky, and someone messed with my electronics cause my shifted lights, nutural start, OD lights don't work. Gonna try some of these test this afternoon and see if I can dial it in, since nothing else iv tried has fixed it.
First off, this thread is in regards to an automatic transmission problem...my truck never ran poorly. Second, the R150 is a manual transmission and was not available in 1987...this thread is on the A340 automatic. With that said, the ECT and TPS can cause the motor to run poorly so some of the info in here may apply to your situation.

Last edited by BMcEL; 12-09-2011 at 08:54 AM.
Old 12-09-2011, 10:23 AM

Sorry didnt meant to thread jack, its a R151f i belive, auto with OD. I AM having OD/ Shifting issues and didnt know till not they could be related to TPS and sensors. The other issues could also be related i guess. Things how i spent hella time working on my fuel and air systems, maybe someone with same issues could by-pass those steps i took with no progress and go straight to the real problem.
Old 12-09-2011, 11:41 AM

Originally Posted by RiverRat Cargel
Sorry didnt meant to thread jack, its a R151f i belive, auto with OD. I AM having OD/ Shifting issues and didnt know till not they could be related to TPS and sensors. The other issues could also be related i guess. Things how i spent hella time working on my fuel and air systems, maybe someone with same issues could by-pass those steps i took with no progress and go straight to the real problem.
R151 is also a manual transmission. You have the A340F. If your truck is running like crap because of the TPS and/or ECT, it is very likely that they are also affecting the transmission.
Old 12-11-2011, 07:14 AM

Mine took awhile to shift to overdrive during cold weather. New toyota oem t-stat was installed and now it shifts into overdrive sooner. I believe oem t-stat is a '2- stage' opening t-stat. This may be something for others to try that are having this problem.

Last edited by astynx; 12-11-2011 at 07:15 AM.
Old 01-31-2012, 12:27 PM

Another update. TPS pretty much resolved it but once in a great while it would still do it. The only remaining sensor that can cause this that I did not check was the trans temp sensor. Seeing how both the engine coolant temp sensor and the TPS made it much better, I believe it was just all three sensors that were on their way out.

I would test/replace the trans temp sensor just to confirm it, but my trusty A340 is now the victim of an R150F swap.

[/thread]

Last edited by BMcEL; 01-31-2012 at 12:28 PM.
Old 01-31-2012, 04:20 PM

I never got around to replacing my ECT sensor, as I've determined that mine only does it when the cruise control is engaged and I am a bit too busy these days to work on it. I can live with it for the time being.
Old 04-02-2012, 05:17 PM

This may be a rookie question, but does the shifting into overdrive happen in every gear or just the last one?
We just replaced my brothers A340 with a used one and he is having problems with the rpm's getting very high before it shifts into the next gear. Is there a way to adjust when it shifts? Thanks for any help on the this.
Old 05-11-2012, 03:26 PM

Spent $15 for two-day access to Toyota TechInfo and 4-5 hours opening/saving EVERY document Toyota issued relating to my '90 one by one (TSBs, repair manual, wiring diagrams, etc.), and I came across this:

It was apparently a common enough issue to warrant a service bulletin. The other parts I mentioned in this thread can still cause the same issue, but if this was a known problem, it's worth looking into. Even though I removed the auto already, I'm still going to tear into it since the ECM uses the THW signal for more than just OD control.

Figured I'd post it up.

Quick Reply: AT shifting in/out of overdrive at operating temp? SOLVED