Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Shifter or clutch problem

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2011, 07:29 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Shifter or clutch problem

HI there. I sure hope someone has ran into this problem before.

My son has a '94 T100, V-6, 5spd, 2whl dr.

Ok has some miles, 170K+.

This thing was never taken care of by the previous owner, that is another issue.

So the clutch was getting hazy. Starting to slip going up hills and would not realy hold itself on a very minor grade when engine off and parked.

So the other day after about a 100 mile round trip ordeal, when I got home he told when he got back into town at a stop light it would not go into first gear and was loosing power in 2-5. So we put in a new clutch yesterday.

Flywheel machined and all new goodies for the bell housing.

Started engine and would not go into any forward gear and would only grind and not engage reverse.

The clutch master cyl is full and the throw arm moves about 5/8 an inch or so.

The bushing, I'll admit, for the shifter ball has seen better days. But I think it is a release issuse at the pressure plate.

I am former tech so was not a slam and bang ordeal. Everything was cleaned up real nice and no finger smudges on any of the new surfaces.

I tried shoving the throw arm backwards, in case the bearing fell off again, not dice and it is nice and snug.

I would greatly appreciate any help as this is not how I wanted to spend my vacation time.

Thanks
Old 05-11-2011, 07:57 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
i bet you 100 dollars your pedal bracket is cracked, it is a common problem around that milage. see if you can move the pedal side to side. if any movement at all it is weak and probably cracked in the corner. you can take it out and weld it up and throw a brace in there to make it stronger. where are you lacated if your in CO i would be glad to help
Old 05-11-2011, 08:14 AM

Well I am in Canon City. Also checked the bracket and it is not cracked and the pedal has no wiggle movement.
Old 05-11-2011, 08:15 AM

Now the stupid thing wont turn over. As in the starter will not engage to spin. All the electrical comes on, but no tiny motor coming to life. Might time for some TNT on this thing.
Old 05-11-2011, 08:17 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
dang looks like im out 100 bucks. if its bled all the way and still not allowing the truck to go into gear, i would look next at the slave and master, if those check out possibly the throwout bearing fork or you have too short of a throwout bearing not allowing the pressure plate to fully disengage
Old 05-11-2011, 08:19 AM

well im sure u have searched this site for this problem and found many different clutch issues with these trucks. I had a similar problem and had to replace the clutch master cylinder and also went ahead and replaced the slave cylinder, fixed it right up and wasnt to expensive either
Old 05-11-2011, 10:30 AM

If it won't go in any forward gear, and reverse grinds (reverse is not syncronized), then the clutch is not releasing completely, all things considered. Two things come to mind. Pilot bearing siezed, keeping the trans input shaft spinning at engine speed, or an air pocket in the hydraulic clutch system (most likely IMHO). Try re-bleeding the slave using a hose and a jar of brake fluid and try it again. Doesn't seem like 5/8" is sufficient travel at the throw arm.

John
Old 05-11-2011, 11:31 AM

Welp. All things considered, and we played all @#%@#%@#%#%#% trying to get the stupid thing lined up to stab it. At one point all lined up it went straight in. Then the thing needed rotated a tad, backed out about 1/2 inch. After shifting it around it finally slid back into place. We did not use the bolts to pull it back together either.

So with that I am down to hydraulics and it is cold and pouring rain right now and it is cold and it isn't my truck lol. So I just re-did the contacts and plunger for the starter solenoid and my sons are putting it back in. At this point in my life I don't care to be wet and cold unless I need to be. So got to get fired back up first, then onto to hydraulics and no 5/8 doesn't seem far enough to me either. But in this stupid Chiltons boooook that is about what it says.
Old 05-12-2011, 09:58 AM

Ok here it is. Not rain today and a bit warmer so back to work on this stupid thing.

Got it fired back up. Had to take the starter apart and cleaned the contacts and plunger. Pow it runs. Then after re-checking the pedal height and bracket I decided to pull the bracket off. Low and behold the former genious owner had welded and painted the bracket black, looked ok untill I took it out.

To make it short, due to way he put it back in with a reinforcing plate the actuall travel of the master cylinder rod was way off.

Got it back together and made new adjustments, re bled the whole mess. Pedal now about 6 inches from the floor, where it should be. The travle for the slave cylinder is now about 1 1/4 inches and bingo boingo, caught all gears up the air.

So all better now.

Thanks for the help and advice. Also blake, since technically it was cracked, but it was welded I lived in Vegas so I am not a betting man. lol But that thanks again.
Old 05-13-2011, 08:53 AM

Forgive me for piggybacking your thread. I have an issue that I have searched and searched on. I was pulling a boat out of the water and my buddy needed an extra hand getting it lined on the trailer and secure. I knew my E-brake would not hold..so I threw it in first gear and turned her off. After boat was secure my clutch was on the floor. It was able to start it just would not come out of gear or engage. I turned the truck off and pulled it out of gear reached down and pulled the clutch back up. Was able to get boat out and home. Next day the clutch hit the floor and had to match RPM's to get home. Found this info on the forums and replaced the MC and slave. All was well. Except I had way too much play in the clutch but it engaged and disengaged. Now I have lost all the play in the clutch and the pedal sits on the MC waiting to engage. It seems like once the clutch warms up it gets difficult to shift. I have been bleeding it ever since I put the MC and slave in a week ago. When we replaced the slave the fork was loose and we pushed it back into place. What gives?
Old 05-13-2011, 09:51 AM

MS, I sent you a message so this thread doesn't get all jumbled up.
Old 05-13-2011, 10:11 AM

Oh by the way, it shifts fine when the engine is off. Very smooth in fact