Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Shackles for leaf springs

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2017, 05:14 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Shackles for leaf springs

Hi All.

I am finally replacing the rear leaf springs on my 94' pickup. They were saggy 10 years ago before I put on an 'Add-A-Leaf' which provided an inexpensive temporary fix until it eventually led to one of the leafs breaking at the point where it contacted the spring set. No worries, It was expected.

Anyway, there is a new set of OME springs sitting in the shed now, and the old springs are now off of the truck. In the process of removing the old ones, I needed to cut the U-bolts, and also one of the front shackle bolts that was rusted to the sleeve inside the bushing.

Both of the rear shackles are rusted solid into the sleeves inside the rubber bushings inside the spring sets. I am okay with buying another set at this point, as I do nt want to spend the time to attempt to remove the shackles, unless someone knows a really easy way to have them just effortlessly slip right out of the bushings......

So, the question is, what are my best options for new rear shackles? I see them for sale for over $100/set, as well as some that are around $45/set.

This is the first time I have done this task, and am a relative newbie about suspensions.

What to do for shackles?

Also, one of the front shackle bolts needed to be cut. I will replace both bolts. Is there anything special about these bolts? Or just any old Grade 8 bolts will do?

Cheers!
Old 03-19-2017, 08:01 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Shackles are a good upgrade. Longer shackles will give you some lift. It will pick you up about half of the difference between the old ones and the longer new ones, so if you get 2" longer shackles, that will give you about an inch of lift. If you are doing a lot of running in mud, water or salt, I'd lean toward greasable shackles. If not, you will be fine with the non greasable ones.

The bolt can just be a grade 8 bolt but you want the neck (not threaded portion of the bolt) to match the width of the shackle with only the threads going through the mount.