Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Sea Foam... do you want the truth?

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2009, 08:39 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
pouring it is pretty easy, since the hose has suction it will not let you spill any (if you are pouring slowly!).
Old 02-16-2009, 09:16 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
so if i pour 6 oz in a min it wont like ruin the engine. so this stuff cant bend anything in the engine, just water rightÉ
Old 02-16-2009, 10:13 AM

I've always just put the brake booster or PCV hose in the can and let it choke the engine out. I let it sit about twenty minutes and start it back up. It smokes like crazy and once it's fully warmed back up, I repeat the process. Knock on wood no problems from going about it this way. It is usually the start of a thorough tune up and oil change. I then use about four ounces every other gas fill up.
Old 02-16-2009, 03:19 PM

whether you pour it in , as it sucks it down, or just let it suck it down, the same thing is happening. whichever gives you best control, I suppose... the thing is, let it suck up a full 6 oz., kill the engine, let sit for 15 20 minutes, then turn and burn, and smoke out your neighbors. once it has mostly cleaned out, repeat the above 6 oz treatment, repeat the 15 to 20 minutes wait, with the engine off. then turn it on again. 2nd time should be pretty clean. pour remaining 6 oz in the gas tank.

Last edited by rangerruck; 02-16-2009 at 03:21 PM.
Old 03-08-2009, 10:10 PM

rangerruck is just trying to help and iv done alot of toyota mechanican and seafoam works just fine if you know what your doin.

Last edited by rocket; 04-20-2009 at 01:51 PM. Reason: language
Old 03-08-2009, 10:29 PM

I've used SeaFoam a few times on my 3vze and it works as advertised.I usually get a plasic container and pour a third of a can into it and then dip the brakebooster line into it repeatedly to suck it up (suck some of it up, which causes the engine to stumble a bit, then pull the hose out so it doesn't die, and repeat until it's all gone).

Now here is the crucial part- have someone do the treatment with you. Get them to sit in the truck and as soon as you suck the the last bit of the sea foam out of the plastic container get them to turn the engine off immediately. I find that this works much better then when you do it by yourself where there is at least a few seconds from the time when you suck the last of sea foam in, and then you reach into the cab to turn the engine off. I find this way the sea foam doesn't work it's way through your engines system before you can turn off the engine, allowing it to work more effectively after you turn the engine off. I usually get some dieseling on the first treatment after a while of not having done one.

Usually when I start the engine after 5-10 minutes of sitting it smokes white smoke quite a bit, which then dissappears and then you get these gunky puffs of blue smoke which take a while to work out of your engines system. Usually a few minutes of idling and then I take it for a few km drive of which it takes about 3-5 minutes of driving for the gunky blue smoke to go away.

Last edited by CoedNaked; 03-08-2009 at 10:30 PM.
Old 03-09-2009, 10:13 PM

Great thread..I've hear about it and I checked it out at the auto parts store picked it up but didn't see any specific directions on the bottle on how to use. So I left it alone. I'm about to pickup a 1989 v6 4runner with 190,xxx miles I will post up before and after pics of my spark plugs and maybe a before and after video of the engine bay during engine running and gauges so we can all see the idle difference. I'm picking it up this Saturday. Woohoo!
Old 03-10-2009, 06:26 AM

forget the bottle, just follow the directions here; just make sure to do these three things; get engine to normal hot first, do one treatment, and leave off for at least 10 minutes, using 6 0z., turn on, and rev engine, to get all the crap out, then do a second treatment. when done, poor rest of contents in gas tank.
Old 03-10-2009, 03:24 PM

I strongly suspect that Sea Foam doesn't work as well in the gas tank as it does through your intake.

Try some Amsoil Performance Improver (P.I.) through your gas tank. That stuff works good. I've used this in my company Chevy van and it makes a difference.
Old 03-10-2009, 07:42 PM

your right, it's more of a maintenance thing, once you have done the cleaning, just pour in 6oz. once a month, should do it.
Old 04-05-2009, 08:10 PM

Ok finally got around to doing the sea foam treatment but i couldnt find my camera so no pics or vids but i must say i do think it helped. The truck used to have a minor vibration at red lights and such. But after the treatment it went away. I just used about 2/3's of the bottle in the gas tank and the 1/3 that remained i poured into the brake booster line. However, I did everything right except shutting the engine off as soon as the last bit of the S.F. was sucked up. So i will try that again and have my son shut it off as soon as the last bit gets sucked up. Hopefully i can find my camera so we can all see the outcome. And whatever's left will go in the crankcase. Thanks for the tips rangertruck..
Old 04-05-2009, 08:46 PM

sounds like you did it backwards!!! do 2 1/3 treatments back to back, through the brake booster line, wait 15 mins between treatments; this of course after your vehicle is at normal operating temps. that 1st treatment is where you will get the billowing smoke out of it. the second treatment you will still a bit, but just not near as bad.
Old 04-05-2009, 08:49 PM

... and remember on the crankcase; make sure you are do for an oil change, I'd say within the next 50 to 100 miles- 'cuz that stuff is going to start pulling the crap off of you oil system walls, and such, and start having it freefloating back into your flowing oil!!!! ugh
Old 04-05-2009, 08:53 PM

Yeah thats the plan. I did get some white smoke out the exhaust but i had my son giving it a lil gas as it was about to die out so i know for next time (tomorrow). And im due for an oil change so i plan on running it for like 2 days int he crankcase and then doing an oil change with some cheapo oil and filter then doing another dropping some more in with the fresh oil..running that for a couple days then doing an oil change with my regular oil..and changing the filter again also.. Just in case..
Old 04-10-2009, 12:12 PM

Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts
I've been reading about this for a bit now and I'm glad someone finally posted some good info on this. I'm going to give it a go this weekend on my 22re and see how it fairs. I just did the HG not long ago but I didn't bother doing much with the intake. So we shall see. If is seems to help I'll try it on my LS and the Crown Vic. They are both up for oil changes so I may do that as well.
Old 04-10-2009, 09:22 PM

Whoa.. i did this on my wifes Rodeo and damn! Its a day and night difference on how it runs.. I hesitated..was jumpy idle stayed smooth on the tach but the engine wobbled like crazy.. After the nuke bomb status smoke that came out the rear after one treatment.. it just purred.. Smoth as hell and i really cant believe it made such a difference.. Gonna try it in the crankcase right before an oil change..
Old 04-11-2009, 06:45 AM

thanks for the write up rangeruck, that took a bit of time. I've also run it with good results, recently pulled my motor apart and it looks clean as whistle inside, I'm sold on the stuff because i use 85 octane varnish for fuel
Old 04-11-2009, 07:09 AM
Contributing Member

I'll run a can in the gastank every 5 or 6 fillups and ran about half a can in the crankcase about 200 miles before changing the oil.
I have yet to find a suitable vacuum line to get into the pistons

does the Seafoam guy say anything about using it with synthetics like Amsoil?
Old 04-11-2009, 08:28 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
in canada napa or some part source carry it canadian tire doesnt..

does anyone know if seafoam is good for DIESEL?
worked great on my 22re's
Old 04-11-2009, 03:27 PM

Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts
I just ran some through and made a bit of a difference at idle. I just did the HG not too long ago so I knew it was not all that bad inside. But it did help the idle and the throttle response some. I plan on running some through a Crown Vic tomorrow and my LS next week we'll see how that goes.

Quick Reply: Sea Foam... do you want the truth?