Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Scion Seat Install... AGAIN.

Old 04-06-2009, 05:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Scion Seat Install... AGAIN.

Well a while ago i got some Scion XB seats to put in my 4runner. I get them installed but found they were extremely tall for the truck, i mean i was almost hitting my head on the roof. Unfortunately i didnt find out till later to learn the XB seats were the tallest Toyota offered

Here they are the original install

You can see how big it was

So I ended up cutting all of the sliding brackets from the seats and added some angle iron to make a flat surface and then got some universal seat sliders from summit racing

Here are the Scion seats next to each other, one lowered, and one not

And here is the lowered seat installed, it is just a touch higher but it makes it nicer to see over the hood.

The summit sliders give the same amount of throw compared to the originals, the only thing i really lose is the spring forward action of the passenger seat. And the Scion seats still do not fold forward as much as the 4runner seats but i will try later to see about fixing that.
Old 04-06-2009, 05:44 PM
Contributing Member

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts
nice man!

do the Scion seats bolt right in with the stock mounting?

btw, how tall are you if you don't mind me asking?

I'm a short little man, so a tad higher might not bother me

but wait, I'm not sure the seat mounting for your and my gen Toys are the same anyway... dangit...

Last edited by iamsuperbleeder; 04-06-2009 at 05:45 PM.
Old 04-06-2009, 05:44 PM

Hey Dan...
Looks good! Do you have the summit part number you could add to the thread? Might be a good project for me... ummm "some day". Also, if you dont mind..where and how much did you get the seats for?
Old 04-06-2009, 05:52 PM

Here are the sliders i used.
http://store.summitracing.com/partde...5&autoview=sku
I had to modify them some. I cut off the studs because i was making the mounts to work on the Toyota holes. I welded on the supplied bolts to the angle iron i have on te seats so it can be removed with one wrench.
The scion brackets are extremely tall. I am 5 foot 10, but the worst thing bout the seats originally being so tall, was not that my head was almsot to the roof, my legs were pretty close to the wheel. And to boot if i had to look out the door window to look at traffic or back up i would hit my forhead on the top of the door. You learn to hate that real quick.
I got teh seats for $100, some people can get them cheaper, but i thought it was a fair price. After i got them installed the first time i took them out and tried to sell them just because somebody may be able to use them as is, but since they didnt sell i decided to just go about cutting them down. All in all i have about $150 in them. In hind site imay have been able to do it cheaper and easier with differnt seats, but it worked and the seats really are comfortable. And i have later 4runner seats in the rear so they match real good and i can finally start elminating the original Red interior.
I also ended up trimming some of the plastic side pieces to make it look better, mainly the rear portion had to be cut away, but it was pretty easy with a hot air gun and razor knife.
Old 04-06-2009, 07:30 PM

I do like the seats.. 150 for new buckets... not really that bad at all! Are you going to paint the Red interior plastic trim/dash etc?
Old 04-06-2009, 07:48 PM

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts
That is absolutely beautiful!!
I feel more comfortable sitting here looking at those seats!
I wish I had a pair of those!
Old 04-07-2009, 03:53 AM

I hope to paint the interior black to match them. Even without the red seats the interior looks soo much better.