Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Rhino liner nightmare

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2007, 09:08 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rhino liner nightmare

so I brought my 88, california, no rust 4runner to get rhino lined here in buffalo NY and cant believe how bad of a job was done.

I had striped the truck of all interior bits (paneling, seats, carpeting) everything under the cap line was removed except the driverside seat and the seat belts. I also put blue painters tape over every hole that I did not want to get covered, when I brought the truck in the manager and I went over every detail and I told him that the insulating material would have to be scraped off.
This was on wednesday.

this morning they called and let me know it was done....

when I got there I pulled up next to my truck and took a peek inside.
there was overspray EVERYWHERE!
in the door sills
on the pedals
on the seat belts
on the upper pillar plastic
on all of the door trim pieces
on the rear window

and they did not remove the insulation that was on the floor so the liner was already peeling on the area underneath the oversprayed pedals

I was mortified
the regional manager was called and he is meeting with me on monday

has anyone worked with rhino liner? my only experience has been with lineX
which I have never had a problem with.
Can rhino liner be removed? is there a solvent?
what I want to do is have the rhino removed and bring the truck to the LineX guys and have them do it right....
I will post picks of the awful job on monday when I go back...

thanks for letting me vent
Old 11-10-2007, 09:41 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Give the DA who you spoke with, before the work was done, two options. One, replace the parts with overspray on them and remove the insulation and reapply or take his a$$ to small claims court. You will have to get estimates for replacement parts from the dealer plus labor to present to the Judge. I take no prisoners when idiots make agreements and then break them.
Old 11-12-2007, 09:41 AM

here are some pics of the overspray
they say the rhino will come off the panels and seat belts
and that there is no problem with spraying over the insulation?
is this acceptable?

Old 11-12-2007, 09:45 AM

Props on having restraint!

If my truck looked like that I would have snapped like a twig and started throwing punches!

Good Luck, Hope every thing works out!
Old 11-12-2007, 09:51 AM
Contributing Member

Hi
First off good to know that there is someone else from the Buffalo area on the boards. Hello and welcome. That is the most unprofessional looking job I have ever seen. They need to replace the parts that are sprayed over and remove what you want removed and make it right. If they don't, then I agree that you should take them to court. Hopefully you have a work order of some sort. As an aside, if your 88 has a 22re motor in it and you would like some spare parts let me know. I hope this works out for you. Keep us posted. You can always post some pics or a video of this shoddy work on the internet and put in some key words that reflect rhino lining and people will find them when they search for rhino lining as well. Best of luck to you.
Old 11-12-2007, 10:08 AM

What customer would want overspray over all of their belts and trim? I'm sure the shop owner and employees knew it was a crap job before they called you and were hoping that you wouldn't care. I've heard that a spray on liner is like working with concrete once it dries.

Hopefully they will make it right without you having to fight them. If not, I would post the company's name here and warn other NY members about the service.
Old 11-12-2007, 10:46 AM

dude, that looks nothing like the rhino lining my dad has on his F250 or the rhino lining we had in our '74 Blazer (hunting truck). i say this b/c ours turned out with much better esults as far as the overspray goes. and that stuff may come off the plastic panels, but not without doing damage to them...i'm with the guy who said get them to replace the panels/re-do the job or take them to court, as that job sucked!!!
Old 11-12-2007, 10:49 AM

They don't even know how to set up their gun properly let alone mask off areas that need to be. I'd be pissed, even a complete amatuer could have done a better job. Sorry for your luck, small claims. I wouldn't even bother to get them to do the job right, they couldn't do it right the first time!
Old 11-12-2007, 10:56 AM

WOW!!! Dude that is unacceptable work by any standards! I mean look how far up the panel they "oversprayed".It looks like they did it 5yr old in the bathroom style,you sprinkler urinal syndrome. I'm not one to complain about stuff but I would surely get something done in this case,that is just rediculous. Sorry they hurt your baby...
Old 11-12-2007, 11:34 AM

i would have not left with the truck...they will prolly say you did that on your own...wow thats rough, how you didnt end up killing somoeone...i dont know :thumbup:
Old 11-12-2007, 11:40 AM
Fossilized
Staff

Received 448 Likes on 293 Posts
Are they saying that you are responsible since you only used the blue tape on selected parts of the interior? Just wondering, that whole deal sucks to high heaven...The staff there must be on drugs or just been discharged from the Psych Ward at EMCC or the State hospital...Hope the regional guy helps you out. They should have masked off everything...

What part of Buffalo do you live in? I used to live in Cheektowaga and work in North Tonawanda. Left the state because I hated paying so much in taxes and getting very limited services....

Last edited by dropzone; 11-12-2007 at 11:41 AM.
Old 11-12-2007, 11:53 AM

I talked to the regional manager and the guy who is in charge of the sprayers and they told me that they would re spray the areas that are not sprayed enough and would remove all the overspray and if they needed to replace any parts they would, I had them write it out in a very detailed order form and we all signed it.
the only other real option was to have them try to grind the rhino off and start again

If it doesn't come back perfect you can be sure that I will post the name of the shop and all of the information about the company which has 9 locations all over WNY so that people will be aware of the kind of service that they provide.....

ocdropzone
I live downtown near forest lawn cemetery, awesome neighborhood

thanks for all the feedback and support
also if anyone know the process for removing spray on liner let me know (just in case)
Old 11-12-2007, 12:00 PM

hey man, just did a search on and found this...

Aircraft coating remover will take it all off. I had a poor quality Rhino lining done on my truck, and when I took it back to have it re-done, that's what they used. Spread it on with a brush, wait 15 minutes, and the stuff is bubbling and falling apart. They used a pressure washer to finish the job. You can get it at any autobody supply shop. (Don't try the stuff you can get at your local parts store, it's not the same...)
Be careful where you do it - I'd recommend doing it on a dirt or gravel area, this stuff will leave a huge mess behind.

hope it helps, just in case...
Old 11-12-2007, 12:00 PM
Contributing Member

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Wow, im not impressed at all! I hope they do a better job next time, thats for damn sure.
Old 11-12-2007, 12:15 PM

It will be easier for them to replace those parts than meticulously scrape off that Rhino Liner. Someone lost their job over this.

Old 11-12-2007, 12:21 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
you know i aksed the rhino lining places around me to do my rock sliders red. they all told me to call this shop then that shop and so on and on... i said f*** it and just painted them. I was quoted about $300 i thought they may be good but after talking to the idiots at there stores i dont think i can trust them. sorry to see what happend to your truck that sucks ive had plenty of bad experiences with shops so thats why i recomend doing all your own work. I know its not possible to do it all but the more the better and its always a great learning experience for future projects. hope all comes out well
Old 11-12-2007, 12:49 PM

Holy Cow !!

That's worse than amateur !
I would take it to the most expensive body/paint shop in town and get an estimate from them to fix it, and fix it right.
Then make Rhino pay for the whole thing.
I would not let those incompetent baboons touch my ride again...
Old 11-12-2007, 12:57 PM

You should have went Line-X.
Old 11-12-2007, 01:01 PM

I dont know what I was thinking.... I had my tacoma and fj40 linex'd and they did a great job both times....
Old 11-12-2007, 01:02 PM

I don't know if this matters or not. But I've read on other situations like this that you don't really want to be posting about this. It's because of a legal crap. You may not want to post anymore stuff until a lawyer pipes up and says it's ok to talk about it. Especially if you end up needing to sue. Which personally I don't see how your not going to need too. Just an FYI, and Rhino Liner should be kissing your a$$$$$$$$.

Quick Reply: Rhino liner nightmare