86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

revolving shackles w/ i.f.s

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2005, 07:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
revolving shackles w/ i.f.s

anybody very familiar with the revolving shackles. do they really provide up to 10 inches of additional flex. For now I have ifs and it will be a while before i do a s.a.s Is it going to be a waste of money to put the revolving shackles in the rear since i am limited to my flex in the front. it seems to me that by getting way more flex out of the rear with ifs it is going to continue to tilt my whole body and increase my chances of rolling. true or false.
Old 12-19-2005, 08:21 PM
Contributing Member

Revolving shackles are interesting, they're extremely good on a ramp and thats about it, well maybe a dedicated trail rig that sees only slow speeds and rocks. Going up and down hills sucks as well as hitting the brakes because the rear unloads and the shackles extend, kinda a unnerving feeling. Also I don't know for sure but now with the chevies in the back they out flex my front by a large margin and although it feels tippy and you can get the body pretty far over I've only ever lifted a tire like 1 foot and that feels like it'll tip but it stays pretty planted. So it may increase the chance but you'll probably ลลลล yourself and back off before you flop.
Old 12-19-2005, 08:44 PM
Contributing Member

Keep in mind that the best set-up has a balance of similar amounts of flex between front and rear for stability. If you upset that balance by too much, you are asking for trouble.

With that said, EVERY rig I have ever seen with the Revolvers ended up pinning them so they wouldn't unload at just the wrong time.
Old 12-20-2005, 07:46 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Ive got a set sitting in the garage waiting to go on my truck. but

1) Teraflex doesnt build a version for 86-95 trucks only earlyer.
2) the rear frame mount has to be trimmed to fit the revolvers
3) I want to do a ubolt flip but dont have the parts
4) New longer shocks require both new upper and lower mounts
5) new upper mounts require fabbed up mount

as for stablity, I dont think they will make them be any more unstable. If anything it allows your rear tires to spend more time on the ground = more traction/better stablity.

most buggies in the rock crawing these days set up shocks for 2" uptravel and 10+ inches downward travel. meaning all the travel is droop, not a lot diffrent from revolvers and the added droop you gain.
Old 12-20-2005, 07:52 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Search around, specifically on Pirate, I have yet to see anyone that is terribly happy with them. Also, that much extra flex will require longer shocks, otherwise you will bottom them out. Pull your swaybar, that will give your front some flex. Get extended shackles for your rear and be happy with that. Maybe throw some chevies on there!