Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

reving motor during driving??

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2006, 04:51 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
sorry, i have been busy. i cleaned the crap out of the TB. also i dont think it is the clutch because it will not rev past the rpm like in the video even if the clutch is pushed in (clutch pushed in and stopped in the video),or not in gear. i think we are going to repace the o2 see what that does. then tps.
i know it is going to be something stupid simple, but until then the battle continues. i am a bit busy so i will keep you updated whenever i work on it. thanks for all of the replies.
Old 08-05-2006, 11:45 AM

going to drop the fuel tank and replace the pre fuel pump filter or strainer. i will keep ya updated. wish me luck
Old 08-07-2006, 04:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
high revving

i own a 94 4wd 3.0 v6 doing same thing its almost like having the a/c on full time, it just started doing it, i also noticed i lose power when shifting, please keep posted

Last edited by squeelin; 08-07-2006 at 04:53 PM.
Old 08-08-2006, 05:44 PM

still running strong, lots of power. PROBLEM still there after filter change (the tank had A LOT of gack in there and a pile of what felt like sand built up under the pump pick up). still doing the same thing, idles fine, but when acting up if i push on the thrott (wide open) it bounces between 1600 and 1900 rpms. i read that it might be the fuel pump going. i am thinking of getting a fuel pressure gauge to see if the pressure drops as it acts up. also it is getting spark just fine.
this last time it happened while under the hood i held the throt open while the idle was bouncing then it gave a mellow kind of pop then the motor would be fine and the prob would stop?
Old 08-10-2006, 05:39 PM

not the fuel pump, replaced today. this sucks
Old 08-11-2006, 09:41 AM

Originally Posted by INFINITY
not the fuel pump, replaced today. this sucks
You gonna try the TPS now?
Old 08-11-2006, 12:39 PM
Contributing Member

How about the distributer, timing set correctly? Ive seen warped distributer shafts do things like this before.
Old 08-12-2006, 06:57 AM

Originally Posted by iruny4wd
You gonna try the TPS now?
it tested ok but might as well.
we tried a new dissy and the timming is on.
Old 09-25-2006, 11:27 AM

well i tested the tps when it was acting up (stoped engine), read the same as it did when it was running normal. i decided to pull the ecu and look at the board, the shop he took it to told him that they cleaned it so i wanted to look at it. when i removed it i noticed that the back pannel where one of the mounting brackets was had not been removed before. this bracket must be removed to open that side of the ecu box. i removed it and the ecu circuts were growing. they had oxidized and had became furry. i lightly touched a pin connector and it turned to dust. so now the truck has no spark from the coil. so it just turns over and over. going to prob get one later this week if we can find one. checker is the only one that has one and it dose not say if it is a 4x4. so we will see what they say when they email me back.
i will post the pict of the ecu when i am over there again.
if it still acts up after the new ecu i will try a new tps.
Old 09-25-2006, 01:42 PM

Man I would just take it to a mechanic and let them figure it out, stop wasting $$$ buying parts that are not the problem. I am also thinking it could be a clutch problem but it also could be a vacuum hose problem, on the passenger side there are some solenoid that you need to check them for voltage spec., look in FSM for the spec. or else just have a shop check them out for you.., estimate how much it will cost you or even an inspection fee, some offer free inspection and estimating.
Old 09-25-2006, 01:54 PM

Man I would just take it to a mechanic and let them figure it out, stop wasting $$$ buying parts that are not the problem. I am also thinking it could be a clutch problem but it also could be a vacuum hose problem, on the passenger side there are some solenoid that you need to check them for voltage spec., look in FSM for the spec. or else just have a shop check them out for you.., estimate how much it will cost you or even an inspection fee, some offer free inspection and estimating, but you can always count on it, its in a book..

Last edited by Guardian_Saint; 09-25-2006 at 01:58 PM.
Old 09-25-2006, 04:46 PM

i will check that out. he did take it to a well known shop in town and they charged him $110 and told him they didnt know.
in the video the truck was in N and the clutch out. it does it if it is in gear or not clutch in or out. it idles fine and will run fine until it hits ~1700 rpm in any gear. i changed out all of the vacc. lines and still nothing and it has no lope or any sputter in the idle.
Old 09-27-2006, 12:42 AM
Contributing Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Don't know if you make it down to Phx very often, but I found a '93 or so pickup in great shape getting picked over at a local wrecking yard. I don't usually see them in good condition... maybe the ECU is still available? Memory tells me it was a 5spd... I can't recall what tranny you have.

PM me if interested. Might save some money.
Old 09-27-2006, 10:10 AM

I remember my 82 doing something like that..... I believe it had to do with the fuel.... have you checked your fuel pump (even though the 82's have a mechanical pump) Another possibility is your voltage regulator.... I once had one that cut out and made the engine surge like that.
Old 09-27-2006, 10:49 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
can you get the truck to rev more than 1900rpm? Can you hit redline if you try? If so, it aint fuel related.

Im betting the issue is either your ECU or the signal from the TPS isnt quite making it to the ECU...
Old 09-27-2006, 05:53 PM

i replaced the fuel pump and it still acted up. i will keep you in mind for the phx parts thanks. i bought one (found one on there with the same #) on ebay for $24.50 shipped. when it is not acting up it will rev up to redline with no prob. it has good power when it is not acting up. i am with u on the TPS i will start doing a close inspection of the wires from the tps into the ecu if the problem keeps up. but for the time being the ecu is in the mail so i will let ya all know when i get it.
Old 10-09-2006, 10:12 AM

FIXED!!!! it was the ecu, got the new one in the mail and no problems now. also got the asin locking hubs in the mail and put them on and have four wheel drive now also. thanks for all of the support. i will post up picts of the ecu when i can.

Last edited by INFINITY; 10-09-2006 at 10:23 AM. Reason: additional post
Old 10-09-2006, 10:51 AM

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
glad u finally won the batte congrats.
Old 10-09-2006, 05:37 PM

yea good job dude. I just now realized after reading my first post in here when I said "you gonna try the tps now?" or whatever that i maybe came off being uh, whats a word for it, "sassy" or whatever. I was actually just really wanting you to get it fixed cause my truck acted up a few months ago back when my grandpa was still driving it and he described the problem the exact way that you did. I was just curious to what it was gonna take to fix yours so I'd have an idea on what it might be if it happened to me once I took over ownership of the truck from my grandpa. So far i've been driving it for at least 2 months with no problems though so knock on wood I guess.

Old 10-30-2006, 07:05 PM

here is what the ecu looked like. really looks like it was cleaned by the shop.
the plug side

looking up the other way

Quick Reply: reving motor during driving??