86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Replacing timing chain guides on 22r and removing intake manifold gasket

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2016, 03:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Replacing timing chain guides on 22r and removing intake manifold gasket

Hey, I'm in the middle of replacing the head gasket on my 1990 22r pickup. I noticed as I took off the head that the chain guides were busted into two pieces on each one. Is it possible to replace the guides without removing the timing cover, or should I just go balls out and replace the chain and everything along with it?

In addition, what's the best way for removing the intake manifold gasket without scraping up the head? I currently have the head soaking in kerosene and the gasket comes off is small chunks in some areas and won't budge in others.
Old 12-18-2016, 03:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Since you already have the cylinder head off you should just go ahead and remove the timing cover and install a new timing kit(new gears,chain, and guides). When the guides break it is usually because the timing chain has stretched out and is slapping off the guides, wearing them down. The last thing you want is to finish your head gasket job, fix the guides only, and have your timing chain snap a few thousand miles later. As far as getting the old gasket material off without scarring up the aluminum I have had some success with spraying the surface with some carb/throttle body cleaner, let it soak for a minute to soften it up, and then scrub it off with a nylon brush.
Old 12-18-2016, 04:21 PM

Received 62 Likes on 57 Posts
Definitely pull the cover. Take the time to clean it up. Look at engnbldr timing kits. He has great deals that include oil pump water pump timing chain kit and cover. If both your guides are broken you definitely want to pull the cover to make sure there is not a hole that has been worn through by the chain. This will allow oil and coolant to mix. It would suck to do all that work and then have to redo it.

He has fast free shipping to the lower 48.

Edit:

As to gasket removal I have used everything from stiff putty knives, razor blades, soft brass wire wheels, diesel fuel, carb cleaner. Whatever you use just go slow and take your time. Stuff metal like putty knives and razor blades are a feel thing. They have to be level and at a safe angle, (what ever that is). 😶

Last edited by thefishguy77; 12-18-2016 at 04:24 PM.
Old 12-18-2016, 04:25 PM

Received 62 Likes on 57 Posts
Are you cleaning out the plenum and throttle body at the same time? EGR? Now is a good time and it's all fairly easy just time consuming.