Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Replacing Carpet - Have to remove Rear Seat Heater?

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2017, 11:10 AM

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Replacing Carpet - Have to remove Rear Seat Heater?

I did a search and found out how hard it is to remove the rear heater (it has 2 coolant lines running to it from engine bay).

I’m simply trying to replace the carpet in the interior. Is there a way to remove old and put in new carpet without removing the heater (ie messing with coolant lines)?

Thanks.
Attached Thumbnails Replacing Carpet - Have to remove Rear Seat Heater?-e097351a-95a2-465e-b947-077248cc9369.jpeg  
Old 10-22-2017, 09:11 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
I have replaced carpet in my runner without removing the rear heater. It has been several years since I did it but you do not need to remove the heater. I dont remember how I did it. I think the carpet kit I had was split down the middle if I recall correctly. I have not ever removed a rear heater and know it can be done without pulling the heater. Depending on who you got your carpet kit from and how they did the kit could be different from mine.
Old 10-22-2017, 05:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I got rid of that at the first chance I had.

Replaced the existing console with a unit out of a Colorado so I finally had cup holders.

Move the controls for the rear window to the left hand dash during the carpet install too. Much, much better.

Good luck with your build!
Attached Thumbnails Replacing Carpet - Have to remove Rear Seat Heater?-img_4104.jpg  
Old 10-22-2017, 05:17 PM

Originally Posted by kapeket
I got rid of that at the first chance I had.

Replaced the existing console with a unit out of a Colorado so I finally had cup holders.

Move the controls for the rear window to the left hand dash during the carpet install too. Much, much better.

Good luck with your build!
Thanks. Cup holders are nice. We just cut a slit in the old one to get it out. Hopefully the new one will have a slit in it already.
Old 10-22-2017, 05:17 PM

Originally Posted by Terrys87
I have replaced carpet in my runner without removing the rear heater. It has been several years since I did it but you do not need to remove the heater. I dont remember how I did it. I think the carpet kit I had was split down the middle if I recall correctly. I have not ever removed a rear heater and know it can be done without pulling the heater. Depending on who you got your carpet kit from and how they did the kit could be different from mine.
Thanks. We cut a slit to remove and hope new one will be pre-slitted.
Old 10-23-2017, 04:57 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If you still have a chance, add Noico sound dampening. I jay did that and it gave a great base to put the carpet on.