Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Replacing 1989 22re Headgasket

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2011, 11:50 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Right on dude! My engine ran a high idle at first. There is a screw on the intake close to the throttle linkage. its facing toward the front of the truck angled up. Mine is very easy to move with my finger nail. Check for vacuum leaks. Make sure your vacuum lines are all on correctly. Congrats!
Old 12-24-2011, 12:03 PM

Those are good ideas and helpful advice yes I think I'm missing a vacuum line that comes from down under the intake manifold. Ill get the lines on right and keep you guys updated
Old 12-25-2011, 06:09 PM

Merry Christmas!! Or simply Happy Holidays, to those following other relgions

On a more negative note though, I still cannot get on yotatech using my default web browser, google chrome.. (not big deal though really, just annoying) But as for the actual negative note:

I went to start up the rig yesterday, and move it back to the carport. It won't start again. It seemed to run fine, besides what I already mentioned. I didn't touch anything after I shut it off, didn't even have the hood open, but it won't start. Isn't kicking again. I'm so confused, I tried pumping the gas, and turned it over for quite a while. I'll give it a try again tomorrow and report back with any new findings
Old 12-25-2011, 06:11 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Always check the easy stuff first... I tried to start mine the first time and I had the coil wire off! DUHHH
I'm sure it will be simple!
Old 12-25-2011, 06:15 PM

Yeah, I'll get my detective gear on tomorrow and see what I can do, lol. It's just that it was JUST running hours before, and I hadn't even touched it, so I don't know what it could be off hand. Nonetheless I'll be looking into it tomorrow, it's getting really cold and snowy the last few days, will be glad when this things purring. Thank you for your optimism hehe
Old 12-25-2011, 06:19 PM

I know how that goes though, last summer i replaced the entire charging system on my Honda. I put on a new alternator and regulator with all new wiring, battery etc. Worked fine the first day, rode to the gym the next day and I got NOTHING. Hauled it home, jiggled some wires and it started right up. I went through and lubed everything up with dielectric grease and it's worked awesome ever since. You never know...
Old 12-25-2011, 06:57 PM

Wow really? That's pretty neat. Good to hear it worked for you, I'll hopefully have the same results
Old 12-25-2011, 07:07 PM

You will, in the meantime enjoy this bit of pointlessness
Old 12-25-2011, 09:37 PM

Maybe just stray grease on rotor or cap?
Did I miss it or did anyone mention the 4 drops of Permatex on the gasket where the front cover meets the head? That's what I forgot on mine (before computers lol). Still runs just oily mess at front of block, that was part of the gunk when you started.
Next time, if you are in a hurry...leave the manifolds on, that will take a few hours off the job and a lot less headache. They don't weigh much. IMO
Old 12-26-2011, 01:05 PM

Tried pushing wires into the dist. cap more but they didn't go in anymore. Tried starting it and it worked on the second try. Maybe fuel lines freezing?
Yeah I put silicone where you mentioned, no worries
Old 12-26-2011, 01:08 PM

Gosh, you wacky Canadians probably have to deal with that crap all the time! I dunno, could be. I've actually never had that happen. Did you use any dielectric grease during assembly (on the electrical connections)?
Old 12-26-2011, 01:10 PM

I'm also using my phone to respond now since my laptops being a pain. I can only do quick replies so be patient, lol. I do believe I noticed the 4 nubs inside the dist cap were marked up, maybe that's from turning it over while it was off timing? Maybe that's got to do with it not starting. Ill pick up a new dist cap tomorrow along with vacuum line. Anyone know what diameter hose they are?
Old 12-26-2011, 01:14 PM

No I didn't use any of that lol. I'm gonna pick up some gas line anti freeze too see if that helps. Maybe its got to do with having the same gas in my tank for months, slowly getting colder and colder. I'm sure driving this thing daily will work out some kinks. I'm on the home stretch now
Old 12-26-2011, 01:17 PM

Yeah that's probably it. It's all just little stuff now! I'm actually figuring my timing out now, people on here are quick with the help/info.
Old 12-26-2011, 01:38 PM

Yes they certainly are, most forums are the opposite. I'm impressed with yotatech, as many people seem to be

I'm gonna look into bleeding my cooling system, I think I saw a DIY here somewhere.
Old 01-03-2012, 07:54 PM

Just as an update.. i'm working on getting the truck legal to drive. I got quoted $500 for getting a new exhaust put on from manifold to tail pipe not including the o2 sensor. My sensor is just hanging by the wire, it was welded into the pipe before, and now the whole top area of pipe has rotted off and is stuck around the sensor. I'm pricing up some sensors tomorrow and looking into a "header pipe" that goes from the manifold to just after the sensor. Also the idle is still jumping up and down, I'm pretty sure I have the vacuum lines all correct. Maybe its low coolant or something. Is it mandatory to bleed the coolant system after changing the rad? I've got the next 3 or 4 days to get work done to it.

Btw, figured out my coolant leak was just a hose not tightened on.
Old 01-04-2012, 03:25 AM
YotaTech Milestone-Two Millionth Post

Received 122 Likes on 57 Posts
air bubbles will do wonders for the sensor and will make the idle erratic. purge the air and see what happens.
Old 05-16-2012, 10:36 AM

Sorry to bump this thread, but I would like to update everyone who had input on this. I REALLY appreciate all the help I got from everyone! theres really a great bunch of people here I did get the truck going, the head gasket change was a success. The only problem was that there were a lot of other repairs that needed to be made to pass inspection, and I just didn't have the time or money left to do them. I sold the truck (and made a profit ) and bought little civic that was already inspected and road-legal. I can't wait to get another yota in the future, I learned a ton from the experience and still love toyota trucks my web browser also wouldnt load yotatech for the longest time, but now it loads it for some reason, lol. You may let this die again hopefully it will help someone else someday
Old 05-16-2012, 01:17 PM

Good luck with the Civic!
I'm sure this thread has already helped others
Old 04-18-2013, 11:46 AM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Great job on the build and huge kudos to the guys, especially Ian, for all the help along the way - that was a great save on the timing chain!

I found this thread on google and am trying to figure out if you guys know the bolt/thread size of the 2 bolts that hold this water pipe to the bottom of the intake?

(where all the coolant is dripping from in this photo)

I'm wrapping up my own HG job and realized I didn't replace that o ring (ack!)

I am picking up that o ring today at the dealer and had a hell of a time getting the pipe aligned with the intake earlier, before I installed the upper manifold, which is now on....

I want to replace them with studs/nuts instead, to make fitting the pipe on much easier. I'm at work and can't remove a bolt to check....does anyone know the size so I can get this at the HW store on the way home today?

Thanks!

Quick Reply: Replacing 1989 22re Headgasket