86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Replacement Injectors. 22re

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2017, 06:18 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Replacement Injectors. 22re

I also posted this over on Pirate. Im hoping for a little more civilized interaction on here for what i feel is a legitimate and simple question.
Almost ready to order new/reman injectors for my 22re. Here are the build spec's:
.020 oversize pistons
Comp 252S cam
Longtube header.
CAI.
What injectors will be best for this setup?
The injectors that came with the engine are completely trashed and mismatched. Im not even sure anyone would even want them for cores
Old 02-03-2017, 08:42 AM

Received 62 Likes on 57 Posts
There is a difference in size on the injectors, volume of fuel they inject, based on what year your rig is. Motor build size won't make much difference unless your going crazy with the build the ECU can only do so much. It's a very basic FI system.

I had a 93 22re and got a set of flame thrower injectors and had great luck with them. Smoother idle and seemingly better low end throttle response. I know he makes them for most toyota motors and his prices are very reasonable.

As to pirate it's not necessarily a site to ask basic questions on. They expect you to search a lot for your answers. And you will almost always find the answer. YT is a very helpful and tech related site as well. Many of us are on both and use one or the other depending on need. You can ask us basic questions when you need and as long as it's not what tire fits what truck you will probably get great response times. And not flipoff emojis either. The Toyota bible in pirate for the small donation is a great resource. I am going to print it out and put it in page protectors for another garage reference.

Good luck hope this helps
Old 02-03-2017, 09:12 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
I got a set of Flame Thrower Injectors and really like them. They are great for the 22re. You do not say which year truck you have. 85-87 are one style of injectors, 88 is a stand alone year, and the 89-95 is another set of injectors. You need to be aware of which year of truck and injectors you use.
Old 02-03-2017, 09:32 AM

The 4runner is an 86 model.
People chiming in with their particular experiences with XYZ brand injectors.
I have been on and around pirate for 10+ yrs and I do know how unnecessarily rude a lot of those people can be. However the information on there is worth the BS. I have been thinking about donating just to get the info from the "Yota Bible"
Back to the injector question, I have seen what looks to be a good deal on injectors, Resistor box delete harness, and new pigtails from a company called Osidetiger . Does anyone have any experience with their products?
Old 03-11-2017, 10:41 AM

I bought a set of flame thrower injectors after I had a injector O ring give up and started an engine fire that meted my number 4 injector. I figured I'd give the flamethrower injectors a try and the maker of them was super helpful shipping them to anchorage. I installed them and they made my 91 22re run so rich it looked like a diesel every time I went near the gas. The flame throwers seem to be hit and miss from what I've read.
Old 03-11-2017, 11:03 AM

I found with my flame throwers they were very smooth. However where I noticed an improvement was when I put the Supra AFM on and full exhaust header back 2 1/4".

That's weird you'd ran that rich.
Old 03-13-2017, 11:53 AM

I also have a supra afm 2 1/4 exhaust a port matched head and pro torquer cam so I thought the flamethrowers would be a nice supporting mod. I tried leaning out my supra afm and even putting the stock one back on and leaning it out but no matter what I did it was still running pig rich. So I stole the stock injectors out of my 4Runner and haven't had a problem since.
Old 03-13-2017, 02:18 PM

Interesting. Glad you get it figured out.