86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Recent Tune up: Now it runs poorly

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2010, 09:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Recent Tune up: Now it runs poorly

Ok ive tried isolating my problem with the search inquirys as well as searching online for about a week now with no great success so my last resort is throwing up a new thread. Ill try to be detailed. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

So ive had my 86 22r 4spd Reg Cab for about a month now. Ran just fine when i got her and has been running just fine. After a oil change and tune up last weekend (spark plugs, wires, dis cap, rotor, pcv, fuel filter, air filter, used carb and choke cleaner, ran seafoam in vacuum line and fuel tank). Also replaced fuel pump but not until after the next paragraph.

So on its first drive the next morning the headache began, it started ok but seemed a little hesitant on the acceleration, I was giving it lot more clutch than usual at the stop signs for take off. Then shifting into 2nd it started jerking (i.e barking, tugging, bopping). Seemed to do it worse as i gave it more gas. Basically had to ride the upper part of the rpm range for it not to hesitate. And when i pulled it onto the freeway it wouldnt go above about 60 flooring it in 4th. Also losing speed when going up hills. Aside from using way more gas my cat was glowing RED and i guees even got so hot it burst open my muffler. Runs like crap basically.

So after talking to a few guys one said that changing everything i did may have been too good for the system and now its over compensating by trying to burn more fuel. He suggested i try checking out the distributor and/or the carb mixture.

This isnt my first toyota pickup ive owned and worked with but ive never had this kind of trouble before. But then again this one does have 345k miles on all original components (as far as i can tell and what the seller claimed).

Any ideas?? Thank You
Old 07-08-2010, 05:44 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Sounds like you may have a spark problem. This would cause poor acceleration and a glowing converter from unburned fuel in the exhaust.

A rich fuel mixture could also cause a red converter.

I would check the plug wires first since that is easiest to check.