Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Rebuilt 22re consuming oil during break-in?

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2011, 08:09 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rebuilt 22re consuming oil during break-in?

I just installed a remanufactured 22re in my '94 2wd pickup. After about 120 miles, the oil was down a quart. Water is still full.

I'm nervous as heck about this new engine; i really don't want to screw it up during break-in, as I'd like to keep this truck for a good long time.

So, my question is, is it normal for the engine to consume a little oil during the initial break-in period? I used Castrol GTX conventional oil for the first fill up.
Old 03-03-2011, 12:09 AM

A properly rebuilt engine should use LESS than 1/8th quart in the first 500 miles. And pretty much no oil after that.

I would call the person who built your motor or supplied your parts ASAP and DON'T take no for an answer. Be nice though.

That kind of oil consumption is SEVERE. Something is wrong !!!
Old 03-03-2011, 07:49 AM

Thanks for the reply... I checked the oil again when I got to work and it was actually over full... I didn't consider it, but the truck being on a slight hill might have given me an artificial low reading. I'm keeping an eye on it.

I did call the engine builder and they indicated that if it continues it's definitely not normal and would need to be addressed somehow. Thing is, the thing doesn't smoke, and I don't see any oil leaks (on the engine or the ground). That's what had me so surprised.

anyway, thanks for responding. =)
Old 03-03-2011, 11:10 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
also if you check your engine warm vrs cold can give you different results as well, try to make a habit of always checking your oil one way or another. on diesile engins this is more important as they hold a lot more oil so the difference in warm vrs cold can be a lot more. i always check cold although, normally warm is recommended, i like to check my oil after it has sat overnight before starting it. because its easier no repeatedly wiping off oil and re checking trying to tell where the actual level is. when trying to monitor any oil consumption it does make a difference warm vrs hot. on my old 7.3 power stroke as much as a half a quart difference on the dipstick hot vrs cold. but that held 15quarts of oil.
Old 03-03-2011, 10:49 PM

Originally Posted by gamecoug
Thanks for the reply... I checked the oil again when I got to work and it was actually over full... I didn't consider it, but the truck being on a slight hill might have given me an artificial low reading. I'm keeping an eye on it.

I did call the engine builder and they indicated that if it continues it's definitely not normal and would need to be addressed somehow. Thing is, the thing doesn't smoke, and I don't see any oil leaks (on the engine or the ground). That's what had me so surprised.

anyway, thanks for responding. =)

It sounds like you don't have a problem? just worring too much? It happens just keep an eye on it.

Also as a side note:

A catalytic converter can burn off an awefull lot of oil. Making it almost impossible to see smoke. Only dark soot deposits on the tail pipe end will usually be noticed.

Best of luck
Old 03-04-2011, 06:02 AM
Contributing Member

Hopefully someone smarter than I will answer this correctly.

Overfilling oil can blow out seals??

Repo
Old 03-06-2011, 06:13 PM

Originally Posted by hilandfrog
Hopefully someone smarter than I will answer this correctly.

Overfilling oil can blow out seals??

Repo

The short answer: NO

The long answer: Yes

An engine can be run over filled a little bit and it won't hurt anything. This depends on the model greatly.

The biggest problem as you over fill an engine with oil it will fill up enough to allow the crank to splash into it. This will cause loss of horsepower. It also can cause aeration. Oil has anti-foaming agents so you would have to rev an engine pretty high with an over filled crank case to actually achieve foam.

Durring that type of scenario the rapid foam expansion can on rare occasions blow out a seal.

That being said I always kept my old Toyota 22RE wheeling truck a full quart over filled. I wanted to make sure my oil pick up tube was in oil even durring steep hill decents. I drove the truck on the highway as well. Never had one problem with it. It didn't smoke, consume oil, or have any problems.