86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

rear wiring help

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2007, 03:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
rear wiring help

just need some help, my rear window goes up and down with the console switch, only down with the key. no rear defrost, no rear wiper. any thoughts.
Old 10-20-2007, 04:54 PM

Did you look at all possible connections, especially around the hinge for good connectivity with a volt meter?

Last edited by corvey; 10-20-2007 at 04:55 PM.
Old 10-20-2007, 05:19 PM

First question. Is this a first gen 4Runner? If so, I just happen to have become very familiar with the rear window system on them. Buy some electrical contact cleaner, take your key or something small to open the key slot up and spray contact cleaner in the keyhole. Insert the key and exercise it back and forth a bunch. I found that the key switch gets resistive with age and needs cleaning up. Mine was over 200 Ohms before cleaning it, not good enough for the relay. The rear window defroster relay is located next to the rear window main relay, behind the left rear passenger's side panel. Remove driver's side seat cushion and the seat back. Remove trim panel that covers the mounting bolts for the top, remove two screws behind driver's seatbelt to clear small plastic panel off passenger side panel. remove two push-in plugs next to where the seat back latches. Pop the side panel off to access the relays and wiring. If you want to take the panel out completely, you'll have to remove the driver's seat belt from its mount (14mm and #2 phillips) and feed it sideways through the hole. Pull off the door edge trim at the leading edge of the rear passenger side panel and peel the glued upholstery off the body metal. Now you'll have an easier time of it. Check your defroster relay for voltage and proper operation. If it is good, disassemble the tailgate trim and access panel, and measure for voltage at the defroster-to-glass connectors. Look for damaged wiring if no voltage at the glass. As for the rear wiper, it has an interlock with the rear window relay. If the window relay ain't happy, the wiper won't work. The wiper wants to know that the window is all the way up before it comes on. I did not have a wiper issue, so other than eliminating it from my window up/down failure, I didn't do much with it. Best of luck.