Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

rear locker or limited slip

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2013, 05:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It amazes me of the people that are against a locker or a lockers. limited slip or really about anything in the front or rear if there is ice in the forecast. Having grown up with the posi trac in GM products and having selectables in my Jeep plus a few other vehicles. To me the reason for having both or all four pulling is to keep the tires from spinning in the first place. After driving on ice this week in Oklahoma, a manual trans and both rear tires or true 4wd is nice. Driven with some common sense no problems. Twice or four times the contact patch works if used properly. Fun if needed. Also hard to understand when someone says the a open is better on ice and safer. Better? How? People will argue that both rear tires will pull until one tires spins and the object is to keep the tires from spinning. This sounds great until your stopped on ice, snow or whatever and try to take off controlled be it up hill or on flat ground. Little to much throttle and one tires starts to slip. Same with mud or sand. Perfect world you could drive in most place with open diffs and it would work. Real life doesn't so much happen. Pull a trailer with couple of four wheelers up into the woods through the back roads up steep hills and both rear tires pulling makes a huge difference, then add a muddy road from rain( not a mud bog) it really helps. As far as winter goes, if your having a hard time driving with a rear locker I would think one has a hard time driving normally. I have decided to try the True Trac in the front with a selectable in rear. Funny thing is there are almost as many opinions on this subject as there is opinions on religions. But this is why we love these forums. Who else got to drive in the ice and snow over the last two weeks?
Old 12-23-2013, 05:30 PM

Constantly past week, snow storm after snow storm + ice rain in between.
The '95 is new to me, my '86 having burnt to the ground in a
garage fire last year. I find the '95 handles running locked hubs
better at higher speed than the '86 did ( the '95 was ADD, swapped
in some manual Aisin hubs ) Tires are 31 AT's but soon going to brand
new BF A/T KO 33's with the 4.88, just like my old set-up.

You get much snow in OK ?
Old 12-23-2013, 05:45 PM

Very little snow this time, but ice. didn't get the streets as bad as it usually does so I am still waiting on some more snow. Around Thanksgiving we has about 1 to 2 inches of snow but it only lasted about 4 days. They don't really clean the streets here except the highways and the very major roads so it all turned to packed snow and ice. They predicted several inches of snow then but didn't get it. Couple years ago they predicted about 6 inches and we got 14 to 16 at our house. Talk about shutting a southern town down for couple weeks. Put my wife in my Jeep and I drove my Duece. Yes the 2.5 ton six wheel drive army truck went everywhere. But it also almost got stuck once. Sometimes momentum is your best friend in the deep snow.
Old 12-23-2013, 09:18 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have an e-locker with a spare housing which I haven't got around to putting together so far, but I'm thinking of going with a Spartan locker, my neighbour has one and it works awesome.
Old 12-23-2013, 10:16 PM

Originally Posted by scuba

A lot of people are confusing truly automatic hubs with a truck that has drive flanges and ADD (automatic disconnecting differential).
That's where you guys are A getting misinformation and B asking/ answering the questions wrong.
Not trying to single you out, RJR, but I'm sure some people in here who are saying they have auto hubs instead actually have drive flanges and ADD.

EDIT, and for the record, the Elocker rear was debuted in the 95.5 Tacoma's. It was also an option on 96-00 4Runners. In 98 when they came out with the TRD model Tacoma's it was standard for TRD's. It is still available as an option even in the 2014 Tacoma's.

Here is a link so that people can see the difference between AUTO hubs and ADD drive flanges.
http://www.4x4wire.com/toyota/tech/autohub/

For sure 02-04 runners dont have elocker option. Not sure about tacos.

For the author my advise is drive your rig if you get stuck save up for a good locker kit.
Old 12-24-2013, 02:59 AM

I like my selectables in my Jeep so I mad kinda leaning toward one in the back. This Toyota is my daily driver, but it's used to pull my ATV's to SE Oklahoma to what we call the mountains. Steep hills, some slick rock in the paths, fire roads, and lots of mountain logging roads. Amazing what a semi truck driver will come up and go down with a huge load of logs. So I need something when I need it. Tru Trac may be ok for rear too. I like the idea of no wiring or plumbing. Now wish it had a few more ponies under the hood.
Old 12-24-2013, 01:23 PM

there is no doubt that lockers give more traction and are an asset to have in any type of terrain, its just a matter of knowing how to use them. the problem is lateral control that most people have a hard time with. not all snow and ice is the same across the country. imagine sitting at a stop sign with nothing but ice under you, the road is up hill and slopes to the right. now trying to move forward with front and/or rear lockers the tires start to slip and instead of moving forward the truck just goes side ways unto the edge of the road. another situation is going around a corner up hill grade and you come onto a slick spot while trying to maintain forward momentum the front tires start to spin and the truck goes straight into the edge or off the road. however once you do go off the road the lockers will be necessary to get you back on the road! some people are just more comfortable without lockers and some like more of the white knuckle ride. its a personal opinion that depends on needs/wants. its hard to beat a selectable diff in both ends, on when you want off when you dont. aaah the best off both worlds.
Old 12-24-2013, 03:46 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I have an lsd in the rear and an ifs lunchbox locker in the front. Works great on road, not so good with turning in 4wd. The only thing with the lsd in the rear is that I had to tighten it and add extra shims. Its kind of wimpy and won't ever lock up in stock form.
Old 12-24-2013, 05:06 PM

im running the same and know all about that turning thing, lol. i went to an add axle/diff and kept the manual hubs, sort of gives me an extra option. i also run the heaviest gear oil i can find in the lucas brand. it really softens the locker in the front.
Old 12-24-2013, 06:34 PM

For what I would be doing there would be limited times where I would need to be turning a tight radius. I do not use this 4Runner for any rock crawling or heavy wheeling. Just a daily driver that pulls trailers to the mountians, over the hills and though the woods. With some steep hills, mud and sometimes snow. Can't wait till the next snow here. Thanks for all the inputs people have given.
Old 12-24-2013, 08:25 PM

I'm running a rear lockright in my truck. It's the first locker I've owned. The truck isn't my daily driver but the locker wouldn't bother me. To make the rear end lose traction I have to get on it pretty good even on a dirt road.
The only thing that makes it noticeable is the extra drivetrain slack. Especially at a gas station or parking lot going slow and turning, you have to press the clutch in or it will rock the whole truck. I also need a carrier bearing and a few u-joints so the locker itself might not be that bad.
Old 12-28-2013, 07:35 PM

Originally Posted by IMA944T
For what I would be doing there would be limited times where I would need to be turning a tight radius. I do not use this 4Runner for any rock crawling or heavy wheeling. Just a daily driver that pulls trailers to the mountians, over the hills and though the woods. With some steep hills, mud and sometimes snow. Can't wait till the next snow here. Thanks for all the inputs people have given.
Do you live in Clayton/McAlister area? I would love to move to that area near Sardis lake but theirs no job in that part of the state!
Old 12-31-2013, 12:33 AM

ARB requires air compressor, hoses and a lot of money. why don't use detroit or powertrax?
I am planning to install powertrax front/rear. now I have to decide if it will be LockRight or NoSlip.
Old 12-31-2013, 04:32 AM
Contributing Member

This thread makes my brain hurt.

Old 01-01-2014, 04:22 PM

it sure does. it went in too many directions, kinda lost its point.
Old 01-01-2014, 04:28 PM

I ran a supra lsd in my truck. It got really hot and spun one 35"tire. Wasnt worth the effort in my opinion.