Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Rear Disc Brake Conversion - Writeup

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2009, 06:09 AM
Banned

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts
Nice...first time I have seen this write-up.

Several thoughts:
Rear disc conversions are much easier with a brake line flaring tool/kit. I think I had to cut and reflare two hard lines up by the MC using ones that came with the MPV.

I HATE the banjo fittings on those type calipers and much prefer hare line all the way to the caliper but flex line from the axle mount to the frame mount.
The manual proportioning valve should take the place of your LSPV, so it would seem you have something installed/adjusted improperly.
My first rear disc conversion:
http://www.wabfab.org/projects/1985/brakes/rdc/rdc.htm

Yes, this way seems cheaper, but I did this conversion before I went to FROR and I much prefer the FROR and rear discs to the previous way...as with the FROR full floater kit you get the benefit of the rear full floater and then you can use all Toyota parts for your rear discs.

Last edited by waskillywabbit; 01-24-2009 at 06:11 AM.
Old 01-24-2009, 11:20 AM
Contributing Member

Received 178 Likes on 124 Posts
Originally Posted by waskillywabbit
Yes, this way seems cheaper, but I did this conversion before I went to FROR and I much prefer the FROR and rear discs to the previous way...as with the FROR full floater kit you get the benefit of the rear full floater and then you can use all Toyota parts for your rear discs.

x2, if I would have waited a little while longer I would have gone with the FROR kit instead of the All Pro kit.
Old 01-24-2009, 04:09 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by waskillywabbit

I HATE the banjo fittings on those type calipers and much prefer hare line all the way to the caliper but flex line from the axle mount to the frame mount.
The manual proportioning valve should take the place of your LSPV, so it would seem you have something installed/adjusted improperly.
Not sure what could be adjusted improperly? The manual LSPV is adjusted out fully, when I first ran without the stock LSPV...per a few writeups the wheels just locked up to easily, installed the stocker back in adjusted the rod, everything cush.

Could be the manual LSPV not working to it's full potential but I'm not sure what could be wrong with it. I notice you're using a Wilwood lspv, mine is the generic summit brand. Maybe yours adjusts further down?

meh i looked the specs on both, they're identical.

Last edited by drew303; 01-24-2009 at 04:14 PM.
Old 01-24-2009, 04:25 PM

the FROR full floater conversion is BETTER, but it does cost quite a bit more. If you're a major wheeler then it's beneficial, but most people don't go that far with their rear axles. This conversion was to get rid of drum brakes, thats all. I haven't had to think about this kit, or this conversion since the day I put it on almost 2 years ago. Coupled with the chromoly semifloater axles I think price to performance ratio is pretty good for any wheeler short of hardcore.

imo =)
Old 01-24-2009, 08:03 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
there is a cheaper way. use solid axle front rotors and calipers with rockstomper brackets. if u have already swapped the front to vented discs, then u have the parts layin around already. and the brackets are $50 if i remember right. plus the brake lines already fit.
Old 01-24-2009, 08:23 PM

Now u have my interest almost might b cheaper to convert then to replace the entire rear braking system
Old 01-24-2009, 08:26 PM

Originally Posted by 85excab
there is a cheaper way. use solid axle front rotors and calipers with rockstomper brackets. if u have already swapped the front to vented discs, then u have the parts layin around already. and the brackets are $50 if i remember right. plus the brake lines already fit.

could you link us to some info? I dont see anything on rockstompers web site and have never heard of such a setup.

and you shouldn't use hard lines with calipers since calipers float (move)

Last edited by drew303; 01-24-2009 at 08:28 PM.
Old 01-24-2009, 09:21 PM

an added note if u use front calipers the emergency brakes a no go
Old 01-24-2009, 10:13 PM
Banned

whoops, i meant ruff stuff specialties, but they are currently not carrying them for awhile. here is a link to some pics of them.
i have a local 4x4 shop working on a set for me, i will get a price when he gets them done.
http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showp...7&postcount=38
Old 01-25-2009, 02:01 AM

wow, now THATS interesting..

fyi those are IFS calipers and rotors... not front solid axle calipers/rotors which are different.

That's sweet. With Toyota calipers you can hardline since they're not floating like the GM calipers.

man, if I had known about these brackets, I would of done that. Why the hell arent these more known? Seriously? Is there a catch 22? I have a spare set of ifs calipers, rotors whole speel.. even solid axle rotors/calipers...

oh well, not that i'd swap now, the gm's work fine. And my ego could care less about keeping my rig 100% Toyota genuine. I go with what WORKS.

Last edited by drew303; 01-25-2009 at 02:03 AM.
Old 01-25-2009, 09:01 AM
Banned

the ifs rotors have too much braking power for my needs, it would be 50/50. im gonna desighn a setup to use non vented solid axle rotors and calipers to try to keep the 60/40 braking.
Old 02-18-2009, 08:42 PM

so are you saying that you dont have to go full floating rear axles to do this. b/c everyone is saying the only way to stay with the toyota calipers is to go full floating.
Old 04-21-2009, 02:30 PM

I hate draging up an old thread

Well please don't kill me for revising an old thread but I wanted to know your thoughts on Sky Manufacturing transfer case brake. I hate the stock Toyota e-brake, or at least mine, since it won't hold my truck on level ground and I want to do a rear wheel disc brake conversion but money issues and the fact that my rear brakes work but the e-brake doesn't I figured I would do that first then rear brakes at the end of summer or when the money permits.

Thanks
Old 04-21-2009, 05:45 PM
Banned

ive got 2 rear disc brake setups that use all toyota parts, here are the write ups

http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=55953.0

http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=57821.0
Old 04-21-2009, 11:13 PM

Skys t-case brake works fine. It's not as grippy as I'd like it to be but it works, just gotta pull hard on the cable.

and a tcase brake is only totally effective with a locker! .... otherwise the potential for one tire to spin while the other isnt... is there. I've had it happen, i have a Limited slip dif
Old 04-21-2009, 11:16 PM

ive got 2 rear disc brake setups that use all toyota parts, here are the write ups

http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=55953.0

http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=57821.0

niooceeee

wish this woulda been around when i was doing the disc conversion. You should market those brackets. That's pretty cool!

4cyl ifs calipers would be MUCH better on the rear of our trucks compared with the wayyy to big and mean GM calipers. They work just the same, I mean, any disc setup is going to be "to good" for the rear. So having a prop valve to dumb it down is neccessary regardless..

i actually run both the original lspv and the manual. Either or isnt enough to dumb down the GM's. And even with both, it barely doesnt lock up before the front does.
Old 04-22-2009, 08:04 AM

Originally Posted by drew303
Skys t-case brake works fine. It's not as grippy as I'd like it to be but it works, just gotta pull hard on the cable.

and a tcase brake is only totally effective with a locker! .... otherwise the potential for one tire to spin while the other isnt... is there. I've had it happen, i have a Limited slip dif
Dang it! That's not what I wanted to hear!

Thanks for the feedback and the great write up!
Old 04-28-2009, 07:53 AM

if theres any one looking for rear brackets just shot me an email and i will try to help you out (techtafab@yahoo.com)
thanks
Old 01-10-2012, 02:34 PM

If you pay that much for brackets why not el dorado calipers with the e brake built in? sorry for old thread revival
Old 01-10-2012, 03:24 PM

Originally Posted by MrArmyAnt
If you pay that much for brackets why not el dorado calipers with the e brake built in? sorry for old thread revival
people have done this I believe this is addressed in the other writeup I linked in the original post.

its more expensive and harder to find those calipers and requires customization of the stock parking brake cable(s)...

personally I prefer not having the extra cables hovering over my axle. I got enough lines to snag branches

Quick Reply: Rear Disc Brake Conversion - Writeup