Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Rear axle not centered b/w passenger and driver side

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2019, 10:18 AM

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts
Rear axle not centered b/w passenger and driver side

Hello,

Sorry if this has been addressed a lot. I am on mobile and the search function is hard to operate.

I recently swapped my wheels to the stock 15x6 steelies from a junkyard. I got two pairs from two different years. I kept the pairs together in terms of front and rear. (The hub bore is different on the wheels, one is flat the other has a bulbous lip)

​​​​​​I installed the wheels, with new tires and it seems my rear end is not centered. I never noticed before because my previous wheels poke.

the axle looks to be offset by 1/2" to the passenger side. I don't know if there has ever been replacement of u bolts or leaf springs as this truck is new to me.

That being said the bushings for the cabin and bed have been replaced. So maybe the cabin and bed are sitting on the chassis out of phase. But I haven't yet measured anything.

I have brief working experiences with leaf spring rear axles. Is being offset a thing? Would it be as simple as loosening the u bolts, jogging the difference over. Replacing the u bolts and nuts?

i plan on doing an alignment when I replace my front axles and brakes. I assume the alignment shop will be able to check if the body or the wheels are out of phase.
Old 03-04-2019, 12:37 PM

Received 284 Likes on 212 Posts
There is a locator pin on the leaf springs and a hole in the perches on the axle. So, no you can't just loosen the ubolts and shift it over.
try the alignment shop first and look for frame damage, see if something is bent.
Old 03-04-2019, 12:48 PM

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts
I just measured the frame to the outside of the wheel. They are the same which is a relief, Seems my bed is offset. The previous owner installed these harder bushings. Maybe i can shift the bed over.
Old 03-05-2019, 07:35 AM

Received 453 Likes on 249 Posts
Originally Posted by richiethomson
I just measured the frame to the outside of the wheel. They are the same which is a relief, Seems my bed is offset. The previous owner installed these harder bushings. Maybe i can shift the bed over.
the body mount holes are not slotted for "adjustment" so moving it is probably not an option, and as stated above, the perch for the springs is welded to the housing, and the perch has a stud for the spring to sit in to so there is no play there. are you taking your measurements with or without the tires on? I would measure your axle square to the body, which would likely lead you to a wheel issue. dumb question but are the tires the same width and do the wheels have the same backspacing? do you have a wheel spacer on one side...
Old 03-06-2019, 01:45 PM

Received 75 Likes on 54 Posts
Unless the bolt with the alignment pin is broken! this would cause the axle to slide forward or backward,

Last edited by NYHumpinUtah; 03-06-2019 at 01:46 PM.