Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Rear axle movement + jamming brakes

Old 03-01-2017, 06:53 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Rear axle movement + jamming brakes

I'll first explain the issue with my rear axle.

The driver's side of my rear axle shifts forward and backward slightly, probably no more than an inch in either direction. It's only on the driver's side too, the passenger side of the axle appears to remain rigid. I first noticed this when my dad was moving my truck out of the driveway in order to back one of our other cars out of the garage, long before he and I took it on its first wheeling trip, so it couldn't have been caused by the somewhat rough trail conditions. I ignored this at first because I kinda thought it was some sort of optical illusion, as well as the fact that it didn't cause any problems with the ride quality or overall performance, and it definitely held up really well while wheeling. I was then recently assured that my eyes were not deceiving me the first time.

I haven't had the opportunity to jack my truck up to have a look at the issue yet, but I'm thinking the U-bolts and/or leaf spring may have come a little loose. Would there be anything else I may have to check?

Now the brakes jamming is a much more recent issue as this happened about a week or two ago; the last time my dad moved my truck (once again to get our other car out of the garage), the parking brake somehow failed to release properly, so it stuck on. The brakes weren't jammed the whole time though as they did release several times only to jam back up intermittently. After stalling a few times, my dad had to rev the engine higher to work against the resistance in order to move my truck the short distance needed. What could possibly cause the brakes to intermittently jam like this?

Thanks,
Old 03-01-2017, 07:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
With brake problem and wheel moving maybe axle bearing worn out causing drum to shift around ?
Old 03-01-2017, 07:43 PM
Fossilized
Staff

Received 448 Likes on 293 Posts
One side moving forward or backwards could be a broken centering pin on the rear spring.

31 year old truck. When was the last time the rear brakes were done? Spend any time in soupy mud? Crap gets in the drum, e-brake pivot point in the drum backing plate not releasing properly...i am thinking lack of maintenance. Pull the drums and check the brakes
Old 03-02-2017, 04:35 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by dropzone
One side moving forward or backwards could be a broken centering pin on the rear spring.

31 year old truck. When was the last time the rear brakes were done? Spend any time in soupy mud? Crap gets in the drum, e-brake pivot point in the drum backing plate not releasing properly...i am thinking lack of maintenance. Pull the drums and check the brakes
I assume I'd have to remove the rubber stopper thing (sorry, I don't know what's it's called) to get to the centering pin?

I have no idea when the rear brakes were last done. No, I haven't been near any really thick mud, just the lighter stuff, with the deepest puddle only being deep enough to coat the sidewalls of my tires (about 8 to 9 inches in depth), but I can understand how some of it may have leaked into the rear brake drums.

Last edited by ToyoKev86; 03-02-2017 at 04:36 PM.

Search this Thread