86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Rcv cv axles

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2010, 07:04 PM
Donny, you're out of your element
Staff

Received 54 Likes on 34 Posts
Originally Posted by AxleIke
Whether or not you buy something is up to the individual, of course.

HOWEVER, lets be clear on a few things. The 7.5" diff is weak in its stock form. Been proven time and time again. However, an upgraded 7.5, say, with an ARB, is very strong. I have yet to see someone with an ARB in their front, early IFS diff, with a catestrophic failure of the gears. I'm sure there is one out there, I just haven't seen it.
Like I said, stock form. By the time you upgrade everything, you are well into the several thousands range.

Unless you are upgrading to 30 spline longs, the normal 27's are just as strong as these new axles.
30 Spline longs are $600, these axles are $1700. Longs are far and above stronger than these things.

Coupled with the fact that you can actually keep a truck very low with IFS, unlike with leaf spring swaps, you have a very attractive reason to want these axles to be on the market.
All in how you built it. IFS isn't much of an improvement over a SFA in terms of ground clearance, particularly in stock trim.

As demand picks up, these axles could go from a one off, make-em-as-the-orders-come-in deal, to a more streamlined, buy in bulk, etc... type of operation, which will bring costs down. Probably not as low as long fields, due to the extra joint, but better than they are now.

IFS handles much better at speed, and, for most wheelers, the ability to blast down fire roads, rock crawl a little here and there, and maintain fantastic road manners, an LT IFS set up is far more attractive than a SAS. The cost is not there yet, but it could be, if people stop whining about the cost of innovative new products.

If the product is not for you, then fine, don't buy it. Don't put up threads bashing a product you know nothing about.

Lastly, if you want to rock crawl solely, and have the coin, then SAS, run 60's and put in chromo stuff. Do the same if you don't rock crawl, but drive like a butt head. If you just wheel regularly, and actually have some talent behind the wheel, both a SAS or IFS can be viable options. Companies pushing the envelope in an ignored market should not be bashed.

This thread should be deleted.
I agree with this. This thread should be solely for discussions, not bashing the product or the creator. As I stated, I think the product is a quality offering. But it just doesn't make sense for a weekend warrior or even a moderate crawler at the price they are offered.
Old 12-20-2010, 07:43 PM

Received 69 Likes on 48 Posts
These things remind me of something.

How's 500HP to an independent axle sound to you? Like an LS3 !!! Yes it's a car, but even still:

Check this out: http://www.corner-carvers.com/forums...525#post866525
Old 12-20-2010, 07:51 PM
Contributing Member

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts
Originally Posted by xxxtreme22r
These things remind me of something.

How's 500HP to an independent axle sound to you? Like an LS3 !!! Yes it's a car, but even still:

Check this out: http://www.corner-carvers.com/forums...525#post866525
ridiculous

awesome, but ridiculous

I'm not a Beemer fan, but I'd drive the wheels off that car
Old 12-20-2010, 07:57 PM

catch the reruns if you can. not much on the net about it. And that is pretty much an OEM Z3 rear end in that, only slightly beefed up gears. Not sure if it's stock axles or not though. I can't remember.

But when I saw that episode and being I have a BMW, I thought, hmm, I need one of these diff's retrofitted to the front end of my truck. Hell, put one in the rear too.

Last edited by xxxtreme22r; 12-20-2010 at 08:00 PM.
Old 12-20-2010, 08:00 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by James Woods
"This is an economical and easy alternative to a solid axle swap while retaining the superior handling that the IFS has to offer."

Does that say economical?
Your kidding right?, for that price you can do a solid axle swap and still have a lot of money left over. and for your information a properly installed solid front axle will handle just as well if not better than IFS set up.
Old 12-20-2010, 08:03 PM
Contributing Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by myyota
Your kidding right?, for that price you can do a solid axle swap and still have a lot of money left over. and for your information a properly installed solid front axle will handle just as well if not better than IFS set up.
No.

Considering a SAS is far from stock, then no. Stock to stock, the IFS is a better system than the pre 86 SA's.

A set up LT kit, which is the equivilent of a SAS (not price wise, but deviation of stock components) will handle FAR better than any leaf spring SAS.

Last edited by AxleIke; 12-20-2010 at 08:06 PM.
Old 12-20-2010, 08:07 PM

No.

Considering a SAS is far from stock, then no. Stock to stock, the IFS is a better system than the pre 86 SA's.
Even then, there is a reason why the 4WD SCORE trucks all run IFS. Too much weight for the SAS to be bouncing up and down at high speeds.

Yes Rock Racers use SAS, but they aren't doing 100+ in desert terrain. And IIRC they are usually on coils and not Leafs.
Old 12-20-2010, 09:21 PM
Contributing Member

Hence the reason this new RCV product is so cool.

Ultra 4/KOH races are pushing the envelope for new, hybrid suspension designs.

The ability to handle at speed, run big tires, and hold up to full throttle, 4wd, locked up power on big rocks is a new concept.

Tech Tim (Tim Lund) up at Wild West Fab is working on a tube chassis, Ultra 4 racer with similar restrictions to Formula Toy racers, as a thought/Fab experiement, to see the viability of a toyota, IFS drive train capable of handling a racing environment. Should we be pissed that this will cost money and won't be achievable with a stock truck and 100 dollars worth of time and parts?

No.

I'm not arguing this is a solution for most of us. We have budgets, family, and other expenses. These axles are out of my price range as well. Just life.

However, you don't see me bitching that CTM junk for domestic axles costs an arm and a leg, or the price of gears and a locker for said axle is expensive just because I don't run trails difficult enough to warrant that money.

The point is, quality costs money. If you want a POS, autozone built truck, fine. Don't bash stuff just because its expensive, and you can't build a $100k truck for 50 flipping bucks.

There is nothing wrong with being cheap, and being unable to afford a part. I know how that goes, and I'm there all the damn time. I constantly bemoan the fact that I haven't won the lottery yet. But, I can't stand "this is overpriced because I can't afford it and because its not available to everyday Jim Bob, I'm pissed, so I'll bash the vendor" types of comments.

Innovative projects and products should be encouraged. Its the way our sport grows. Accusing a vendor of price gouging with no facts, no idea of how these things work, or any general knowledge of the product is just plain assinine.

Again, Mods, shut this stupd thread down. There is plenty of useful info on the web about these axles. This thread serves as a colossal waste of server space.

And yes, this is the internet. My opinion is just as worthless as the next guy's. I'm comfortable with that.
Old 12-20-2010, 09:46 PM
Staff

Not shutting the thread down, as again there are useful comments and so far no one is fighting. This is a discussion board, so lets discuss. The people who call these axles out as "stupid" without really thinking it through will be seen for the sheeple they are.

Its only a waste of server space if the opposing party doesn't agree with your opinion
Old 12-20-2010, 09:47 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
these things would be awesome with an 8" diff and TC long travel!!!
Old 12-20-2010, 10:36 PM
Contributing Member

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts
to me, the benefits just don't outweighing the cost... that's my only argument...
Old 12-21-2010, 07:20 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by DeathCougar
Its only a waste of server space if the opposing party doesn't agree with your opinion
Funny, I tend to apply the same definition to the term idiot. Perhaps I need to take a closer look at myself. LOL

Originally Posted by iamsuperbleeder
to me, the benefits just don't outweighing the cost... that's my only argument...
A very good argument. And perfectly valid.
Old 12-21-2010, 08:02 AM

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts
A good freind of mine had a set of these axles in his 06 2.7L reg cab 4x4 with 4" of lift 4.56 gears and an ABR locker, he ran 255/85-16's (33 -10.5). The axles where nothing short of awesome. He never broke a single part of his front diff or had any problems with the axles. He did NOT baby anything!

I know it is against the grain, but I agree with Ike about IFS. It gets such a bad wrap from all of the "must have solid axle" folks, but hasn't let me down. I know if doesn't flex as much as an SA, but it is still dependable and tough. I wheel my 4runner, and want to keep it as low as possible.....I say kiss my IFS!
Old 12-21-2010, 10:22 AM

Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by yotarob2005
A good freind of mine had a set of these axles in his 06 2.7L reg cab 4x4 with 4" of lift 4.56 gears and an ABR locker, he ran 255/85-16's (33 -10.5). The axles where nothing short of awesome. He never broke a single part of his front diff or had any problems with the axles. He did NOT baby anything!
Well, the IFS diff isn't the same on a 06. It's an 8" with mid-pinion reverse-cut gears and 30 spline axles. It's in a league of it's own strength wise, and can probably handle the upgraded CVs quite easily. So, it's not really fair to compare it to the pre-96 LP 7.5" IFS diff.

But for $200 RCV will cryo and REM polish the ring and pinion for any diff.

https://www.rcvperformance.com/store...products_id=73

Which would be well worth the investment on an 86-95 IFS running the RCV CVs due to the 7.5" ring & pinion's inherent weakness(size wise and being regular cut/run backwards in the IFS diff). To not do so, would be pretty much asking for a busted R&P.
Old 12-21-2010, 01:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by scope103
Autozone sells a reman half-shaft for $59. Of course, there's a $10 core charge, and you might not get that back if you break one. So figure $70. $1685 divided by $70 -- what do you know? 24 half-shafts! (a dozen sets)

(I assume that $1685 gets you both sides.)

So figuring the current rate that I break (or otherwise want to replace) half-shafts .....

AutoZone here charges $53 plus a $100 core. So $153 per broken axle. That puts the math down to 11 axles.

I am not arguing that these axles are a good buy, just that they aren't as bad you were making them seem.
Old 12-21-2010, 01:20 PM

And if you don't know how to do it, how much of that money is for labor to replace them? Or how much is your own time worth replacing each set? Which brings you down to how many half shafts?

Think about it how many of you guys recommend the oem headgasket over other brands? because why? So you don't have to go back in there to replace it again. Maybe a bad analogy because of the slight difference in price but I think you can get my point.

Last edited by xxxtreme22r; 12-21-2010 at 01:21 PM.
Old 12-21-2010, 01:34 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by MudHippy
Well, the IFS diff isn't the same on a 06. It's an 8" with mid-pinion reverse-cut gears and 30 spline axles. It's in a league of it's own strength wise, and can probably handle the upgraded CVs quite easily. So, it's not really fair to compare it to the pre-96 LP 7.5" IFS diff.

But for $200 RCV will cryo and REM polish the ring and pinion for any diff.

https://www.rcvperformance.com/store...products_id=73

Which would be well worth the investment on an 86-95 IFS running the RCV CVs due to the 7.5" ring & pinion's inherent weakness(size wise and being regular cut/run backwards in the IFS diff). To not do so, would be pretty much asking for a busted R&P.
Running these axles with no front locker, cryo'd gears or no, is dumb. If someone wants to build an IFS rig, an ARB is mandatory equipment.
Old 12-21-2010, 01:35 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by VA07
AutoZone here charges $53 plus a $100 core. So $153 per broken axle. That puts the math down to 11 axles.

I am not arguing that these axles are a good buy, just that they aren't as bad you were making them seem.
And at the end of the day, they are still cheap chinese steel POS autozone axles. Not even worth the 50 bucks for the exchange.
Old 12-21-2010, 02:24 PM
Staff

Anyone who buys a new CV axle for a wheeling rig is nuts. Wrecking yards sell those axles for as cheap as $20/ea. For that price, you can buy 80 axles before you ever even out the cost. And I bet no one would ever EVER wheel hard enough to break 80 axles. Besides, once you have done the stub axle stud removal mod, changing an axle takes maybe 20 minutes.
Old 12-21-2010, 02:29 PM

^^^ if you have access to them, around here, although it's common to see these rigs in the yards, the entire driveline is usually not there. Partially due to the fact the yards remove them before making the truck available to all, then they mark up the price on them and your almost in the price range of brand new aftermarket.

Quick Reply: Rcv cv axles