Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Rapid blinking CEL

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2017, 10:59 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rapid blinking CEL

this is a 22re 1994 4runner
recently I adjusted the timing and i jumped terminals te1 and e1 and the timing was super advanced I adjusted as low as it could go and it's still reading past 5 degrees with terminals jumped. Last night I checked it again my wife said it was running funny. Which I thought was because she was used to driving it with the timing advanced all the way.
But when I jumped the terminals and hadn't even turned the engine over the CEL was just blinking rapidly I haven't seen this before and I've pulled codes many times from these engines. This issue is new to me.
Any help with this would be appreciated
Old 07-24-2017, 12:52 PM

Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts
You're not used to it flashing the "all-good" light! haha

A steady flash means there are no detected codes.
Old 07-24-2017, 01:41 PM

Received 602 Likes on 441 Posts
When the terminals are jumped to check, or adjust timing on my '87 and '88 22REs' the check engine light flashes continuously. It's supposed to.

I don't know for sure about later models like your '94, but maybe it is the same? Check the FSM??

Setting base timing also requires that the TPS be sending 'throttle closed' to the ECU. ( TPS working properly and adjusted correctly)

And idle speed at spec, or below. Just jumpering TE1 and E1 is not enough to get the ECU to go to true base timing. The other conditions must be satisfied also. Your base timing may not be what you think it is.

Last edited by millball; 07-24-2017 at 01:46 PM.
Old 07-24-2017, 04:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by millball
When the terminals are jumped to check, or adjust timing on my '87 and '88 22REs' the check engine light flashes continuously. It's supposed to.

I don't know for sure about later models like your '94, but maybe it is the same? Check the FSM??

Setting base timing also requires that the TPS be sending 'throttle closed' to the ECU. ( TPS working properly and adjusted correctly)

And idle speed at spec, or below. Just jumpering TE1 and E1 is not enough to get the ECU to go to true base timing. The other conditions must be satisfied also. Your base timing may not be what you think it is.

ok I will check the tps I have done that before. Idle speed should be 750 rpm if. I'm correct. When I say constant blinking I mean like rapidly. on my 87 runner it's like 1 blink every 2 to 3 seconds it blinks once this is like every half a second it blinks
Old 07-25-2017, 07:53 AM
RJR

Received 109 Likes on 81 Posts
About twice per second is right for no codes. Sounds completely normal to me.