86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

questions on the 3.0

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2007, 06:39 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
questions on the 3.0

What kind of power and mpg are you guys getting out of the 3.0. Has anyone done headers intake cam and head work or is the 3.4just better? Oh there is alot of info on swaps but i was wondering why can you get any power out of the 3.0 with a performance rebuild when its ready

Last edited by dbcx; 12-16-2007 at 06:45 AM.
Old 12-16-2007, 08:59 AM

? anybodyhere lots looking nobodys talkin
Old 12-16-2007, 09:14 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
the 3.0 has potential, but not much. the bottom end is pretty strong and prolly can be turbo charge, but the 3.4 swap is well worth it. you can factory supersharge it and it makes alot more power stock. i hate my 3.0 personally, prolly cause its mated to the POS A340H auto tranny, but ya i would swap
Old 12-16-2007, 09:28 AM

It cant be any worse than a 4cyl jeep w/auto and 33s. I guess ill have to go drive on i just hate to waste someones time. Plus i still have to sell something before getting one. Im just trying to get ideas if the 3.0 can be built, If i was to go thru all the trouble of a swap i beleive i would have to do a chevy 4.3. I dont see 4k in a swap from 3.0 to 3.4 doesnt seem worth it
Old 12-16-2007, 09:30 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by dbcx
What kind of power and mpg are you guys getting out of the 3.0. Has anyone done headers intake cam and head work or is the 3.4just better? Oh there is alot of info on swaps but i was wondering why can you get any power out of the 3.0 with a performance rebuild when its ready
You can get lots of power from the 3.0... if you are willing to take the risk of shortened life. Lots of experiences posted on this site.

The 3.4 seems to handle power mods with much less risk.
Old 12-16-2007, 09:40 PM

my stock 3.0 got 25 mpg with 4.56 gears, 5-speed, and 32 inch wild country mud tires, I swapped to the 3.4, put in an automatic, same gears, new 33 inch tires, gets 20 mpg now. Not bad since the auto uses more power to move but you would never know it, the 3.0 was ok for what it is, but I would rather spend the extra on gas and the swap for what the 3.4 can do compared to the old 3.slow. I can burn the rear tires on dry pavement without trying now, the old 3.0 could barely burn out with the engine revved up and dumping the clutch, didnt like to 4 wheel with the old engine either, but did good on the freeway until you hit a hill, the 3.4 tears it up compared to the 3.0, also less problems mechanically than the 3.0. I like 3.0 trucks, it makes it easier to put a 3.4 into it
Old 12-16-2007, 09:59 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The truth is there is a group of modifications on the 3vze 3.0 V6 that according to a few who have done them, will satisfy you to the extent that you will forget about your idea's of a 5vzfe (3.4) swap. But the biggest problem is that these modifications haven't really been developed until the past few years while many, many 3.4 swaps have gone on. Then when you ask or inquire about performance modifications, a long list of 3.4 swappers will bombard you with their opinion about what you should do.

I am not saying that the 3.4 swap is a bad idea, or something you shouldn't do. It's great that so many have been done as you have a huge resourcde to draw on, and it's great that this swap is such a near directly bolt in affair due to the similarities between 3.4 and 3.0 equipped trucks.

I have a 93 Toyota with the 3.0 V6 with the 5 speed manual as you can see in my sig (150 HP, 180 foot pounds of torque) and my brother has a 96 4runner with the 3.4 V6 and a 5 speed manual (183 HP, 217 foot pounds of torque) as well and I've driven his rig lots of times and while it has more torque, and more power than my truck, it's not mind blowing in all honestly. It doesn't get my researching my 3.4 swap right away or anything. Instead it gets me researching modifications for my 3vze because I'm not one of those guys who requires much more power to satisfy me. In fact I'm relatively satisfied as it is currently and my plans for future engine modifications (mainly LCE headers) are for a bit more towing power down the road for a boat.

So what it comes down to is you really need to properly evaluate whehter a 3.4 swapped rig is for you. You can start by driving both rigs in similar configurations (i.e. a 5 speed manual versus a 5 speed manual) to get a feel for what each engine is like and then going from there. You also need to evaluate what you need versus what you want and factor what you can afford in there as well. If you can afford a 3.4 equipped rig - I say go for it. If you prefer the body style of the 3.0 equipped rigs, or the more heavy duty frames of the 3.0 equipped rigs, go for that too. The reality is, no matter what someone replies with, a swap will cost you a lot of time & money, and the only reason to do a swap is because you like your rig and want to keep it becuase no swap is financially responsible.

I myself don't need heeps more power to do what I want to do. But if you feel you will need heeps more power for whatever reason - then a 3.4 swap might be in order because they have more stock HP and stock TQ and this in the end is a better platform to start modifications from. But if you want just a bit more TQ and HP from your 3vze - maybe somewhere between a bit more power, to something close to or equal to the 5vzfe (3.4) power, then like I said, there is a team of modifications that you can do that will satisfy you.

These modifications are:

1) Headers (LCE, Downey, NWOR, Thorley)
2) Cams (e.g. search Weasy2k)
3) Exhaust (e.g. Thorley, custom made, the LCE 22RE exhaust might work)
4) Intake (some leave it stock, ISR mod, or a K & N FIPK, or the Downey version)
5) Synthetic fluids will also help your 3vze in the drive train as well as engine.

Last edited by CoedNaked; 12-16-2007 at 10:01 PM.
Old 12-17-2007, 03:02 AM
Contributing Member

Received 34 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by CoedNaked
The truth is there is a group of modifications on the 3vze 3.0 V6 that according to a few who have done them, will satisfy you to the extent that you will forget about your idea's of a 5vzfe (3.4) swap. But the biggest problem is that these modifications haven't really been developed until the past few years while many, many 3.4 swaps have gone on. Then when you ask or inquire about performance modifications, a long list of 3.4 swappers will bombard you with their opinion about what you should do.

I am not saying that the 3.4 swap is a bad idea, or something you shouldn't do. It's great that so many have been done as you have a huge resourcde to draw on, and it's great that this swap is such a near directly bolt in affair due to the similarities between 3.4 and 3.0 equipped trucks.

I have a 93 Toyota with the 3.0 V6 with the 5 speed manual as you can see in my sig (150 HP, 180 foot pounds of torque) and my brother has a 96 4runner with the 3.4 V6 and a 5 speed manual (183 HP, 217 foot pounds of torque) as well and I've driven his rig lots of times and while it has more torque, and more power than my truck, it's not mind blowing in all honestly. It doesn't get my researching my 3.4 swap right away or anything. Instead it gets me researching modifications for my 3vze because I'm not one of those guys who requires much more power to satisfy me. In fact I'm relatively satisfied as it is currently and my plans for future engine modifications (mainly LCE headers) are for a bit more towing power down the road for a boat.

So what it comes down to is you really need to properly evaluate whehter a 3.4 swapped rig is for you. You can start by driving both rigs in similar configurations (i.e. a 5 speed manual versus a 5 speed manual) to get a feel for what each engine is like and then going from there. You also need to evaluate what you need versus what you want and factor what you can afford in there as well. If you can afford a 3.4 equipped rig - I say go for it. If you prefer the body style of the 3.0 equipped rigs, or the more heavy duty frames of the 3.0 equipped rigs, go for that too. The reality is, no matter what someone replies with, a swap will cost you a lot of time & money, and the only reason to do a swap is because you like your rig and want to keep it becuase no swap is financially responsible.

I myself don't need heeps more power to do what I want to do. But if you feel you will need heeps more power for whatever reason - then a 3.4 swap might be in order because they have more stock HP and stock TQ and this in the end is a better platform to start modifications from. But if you want just a bit more TQ and HP from your 3vze - maybe somewhere between a bit more power, to something close to or equal to the 5vzfe (3.4) power, then like I said, there is a team of modifications that you can do that will satisfy you.

These modifications are:

1) Headers (LCE, Downey, NWOR, Thorley)
2) Cams (e.g. search Weasy2k)
3) Exhaust (e.g. Thorley, custom made, the LCE 22RE exhaust might work)
4) Intake (some leave it stock, ISR mod, or a K & N FIPK, or the Downey version)
5) Synthetic fluids will also help your 3vze in the drive train as well as engine.
FYI: engnbldr also does modified heads & oversized valves...
IMHO, the intake mod is nothing more than a placebo...
Old 12-17-2007, 05:26 AM
tc
Contributing Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
You have to pull the 3.0 to put headers on it.

If my 3.0 comes out, it's not going back in.

You can easily spend what a 3.4L swap will cost in mods to the 3.0, and still have a gas guzzler that takes up every square inch in the engine bay.
Old 12-17-2007, 06:12 AM

well if you want much more power, search for swapping the lexus v8 engine. its a beautiful engine. watch some videos on youtube and you will be like "i want that"...

its just not "AS" user friendly as the 3.4 to swap, and im sure the engine will be more expensive as well...
Old 12-17-2007, 06:14 AM

but for now, i love my 3.0

i can do 75 on the freeway comfortably
sure i cant rocket, but ive learned that its not that important...
if i were you, i would start saving, and wait till your 3vze is gonna die
when it does, consider your options (this could be a long time haha)

if you want more info, search on here man, tons of information to blow your mind lol.
Old 12-17-2007, 06:59 AM
Contributing Member

Received 34 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by infiltrator
well if you want much more power, search for swapping the lexus v8 engine. its a beautiful engine. watch some videos on youtube and you will be like "i want that"...

its just not "AS" user friendly as the 3.4 to swap, and im sure the engine will be more expensive as well...
Actually, there's a 4.0 liter Lexus v8 on ebay now for about $500.00.
Old 12-17-2007, 09:55 AM

Thanks for the info. I havent got a 4runner yet but hopefully soon. I have been reading back and forth on the 3.0 and 3.4. I will do alot of freeway driving but also i will be hunting and going on trail rides so i am going to build a all around performer. I would like to start with a more powerful platform if possible, but its not going to be a race car either. I have a 99 Z71 if i need a heap of power and a 74 VW with a 2110 cc engine its not hurting for power either. I guess ill just have to drive both. There is a 97 limited 4x4 50 miles from my house w/188k for 5900. and a 95 w/ 160?k for 4900 i think it is 30 miles from me. The 97 is really clean looking and has a clean carfax. The 95 looks clean has some dings and scratches and has seen some trail time already. I am relly leaning toward the 97 if i can sell my truck before its gone the other 3.4 4runners are 200 and 300 miles away.
Old 12-17-2007, 05:22 PM

I've got Downey headers...

Originally Posted by tc
You have to pull the 3.0 to put headers on it.

If my 3.0 comes out, it's not going back in.

You can easily spend what a 3.4L swap will cost in mods to the 3.0, and still have a gas guzzler that takes up every square inch in the engine bay.
I didn't have to pull the motor to do it, yeah it's a bitch... but can be done