Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Pwr Steering Reservoir Leak..Help !!

Old 02-01-2006, 02:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Pwr Steering Reservoir Leak..Help !!

Ok guys I've gone through every possible fix involving the power steering system on my 1994 V6 4X4 you could imagine. From trying to rebuild the stock PS pump with seal kit to trying to seal the PS reservoir with RTV silicon and saying some prayers. Dealing with a small irritating leak the past month.

Here is my question...anyone experience a PS fluid leak from TOP of the reservoir (around the circular lip where it connects to the round can part) ?
Dealership has never seen this, but sure enough mine is leaking there, then drips down the side of reservoir and onto the pump. So I ordered a new reservoir online $150 !, but was wondering if anyone else has any ideas on what could be causing the leak before I bolt the new one on. It is not leaking anywhere on the pump......just at the top of the reservoir. Fluid is not OVERFILLED either... I'm running it a little low just to be sure.

I have a Cardone remanufactured pump on there (about 50 miles on it), new o-ring from reservoir to pump, etc. Only thing I can think of is that I broke off the 2 posts on the Air Control Valve on PS pump and superglued posts back on. Would a clog in the ACV cause some sort of pressure build up and make reservoir leak?
Also I did accidently run regular PS fluid (not ATF) in it and I know that can ruin the seals. But why would it only leak at the top of the reservoir and not at the steering box, etc ??

I just fear that I will bolt on a new $150 reservoir and it will leak...man I will be pissed.
FYI I did a search and someone else asked if you can replace the reservoir WITHOUT removing pump from car...YES it can be done. I've done it about 5 times in the last week. Just the right side 14mm reservoir bolt is a little tricky to start.
I will post my results this weekend when new reservoir arrives.
Great site guys !!!
Old 02-03-2006, 05:30 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by The Toe Cutter
Ok guys I've gone through every possible fix involving the power steering system on my 1994 V6 4X4 you could imagine. From trying to rebuild the stock PS pump with seal kit to trying to seal the PS reservoir with RTV silicon and saying some prayers. Dealing with a small irritating leak the past month.

Here is my question...anyone experience a PS fluid leak from TOP of the reservoir (around the circular lip where it connects to the round can part) ?
Dealership has never seen this, but sure enough mine is leaking there, then drips down the side of reservoir and onto the pump. So I ordered a new reservoir online $150 !, but was wondering if anyone else has any ideas on what could be causing the leak before I bolt the new one on. It is not leaking anywhere on the pump......just at the top of the reservoir. Fluid is not OVERFILLED either... I'm running it a little low just to be sure.

I have a Cardone remanufactured pump on there (about 50 miles on it), new o-ring from reservoir to pump, etc. Only thing I can think of is that I broke off the 2 posts on the Air Control Valve on PS pump and superglued posts back on. Would a clog in the ACV cause some sort of pressure build up and make reservoir leak?
Also I did accidently run regular PS fluid (not ATF) in it and I know that can ruin the seals. But why would it only leak at the top of the reservoir and not at the steering box, etc ??

I just fear that I will bolt on a new $150 reservoir and it will leak...man I will be pissed.
FYI I did a search and someone else asked if you can replace the reservoir WITHOUT removing pump from car...YES it can be done. I've done it about 5 times in the last week. Just the right side 14mm reservoir bolt is a little tricky to start.
I will post my results this weekend when new reservoir arrives.
Great site guys !!!
That air control Valve that you superglued back on is very important, one being that the power steering puts a load on the engine when your trying to park your rig so the engine idles up to compensate for this, Make sure that they are open and not clogged. I have to think for a second,(It's been a few years) but there's a seal on the dipstick also and if this goes bad it will overflow there also, hold on I'm remembering> Did you purge your lines of air? Open the resevoir with the engine running and turn the wheel side to side for around a minute and while doing this when you come to the stops you should also here your engine idle up, if not thos airlines that you superglued are blocked! Ok try that! See that, and that didn't even cost you $150.00!!
Good Luck!
Harry
Old 02-05-2006, 07:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well got my new reservoir today and bolted it on. Slight difference with the inside baffle which the PS dip stick screws into. Good news is that I no longer have a leak !!!

I tried bleeding the system again before I put on the PS reservoir, but found no air. The leak continued so I had no other choice, but to bolt on the new reservoir and pray.

Just thought I would post a reply in case others had a leaky reservoir and thought it couldn't be possible. Must have been the to O-ring of the reservoir that is said to exist. Can't service it though (that I'm aware of)