Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Profit from my mistake... Search friendly 3VZ-E Timing belt tip !

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2005, 06:56 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Profit from my mistake... Search friendly 3VZ-E Timing belt tip !

Timing belt replacement on the 3VZ-E !

I am going to put this here as I am sure a number of folks down the road will benefit.

Here are some key words I am adding to make sure this thread gets hits when folks search as I found about 20 different searches were needed to get all the info :

* Timing belt
* Timing belt marks
* Gates belt
* Timing 3VZE
* Timing V6
* 3VZ-E
* 3 slow
* Camshaft timing
* Replacing cam belt

When replacing the timing belt on a 3VZE with a Gates type belt or a belt with initial timing marks on them for the crankshaft pulley, #1 timing cover, LH cam sprocket and RH cam sprocket, the marks are for INITIAL STATIC timing only.

***After you rotate the engine through 2 full turns clockwise, the marks on the belt will no longer allign with the marks on the crank and cam sprockets but timing marks on crank and camshaft pulleys should allign.

This will be very obvious to those who have done this but can cause a lot of confusion to folks doing it for the first time. If you think about it a while, the marks will not line up again due to the size difference of the crank and cam pulleys. .... but thinking is overated

So, after ensuring the crank is at TDC and the two cams have match marks alligned with the ones on the #3 timing cover :

* Put the belt on and allign the marks on the belt ( and from other threads, sometimes the crank mark is off in relation to the cam marks on some new belts ).
* When you are happy that the marks line up and the belt is tight, replace the tensioner and rotate the engine clockwise for two full turns on the crankshaft pulley , not two full turns of the belt.

(GOOD TIMESAVER TIP : If you have the later style tensioner (without spring) and want to apply tension to belt to check allignment WITHOUT replacing #1 cover and fan bracket, you can squeeze a small length of 2x4 (you need something about 1 and 1/2" thick) between the bottom of the idler pulley assy and a long stud that is fixed in the block and is used to mount the PS pump bracket. This adds just enough tension to the belt and makes sure belt does not jump a tooth during rotating engine 2 full turns BUT allows easy adjustment of belt if you got it wrong first time as taking off crank pulley, #1 timing cover and fan bracket takes time.)

* Check the allignment of the Crankshaft TDC with either the crankshaft pulley on either the #1 timing cover (if installed) and/or the mark on the timing belt sprocket itself on the oil pump.

* If your crank shows TDC and the LH and RH cams allign with the match marks on the #3 timing cover, go start chilling the beer.... the end is in sight.

(Hopefully, the key words I have used, will mean this thread pops up every time anyone searches.)

Finally, here is a link to a good 'how too article"

Replacing Timing belt on Toyota V6

David

Last edited by nrgetic99; 12-07-2005 at 07:11 AM.