Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Problems with my Truck...and Now Burning Oil Too?!

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2013, 08:36 AM

Received 62 Likes on 57 Posts
A compression check set is between $30-100 depending on quality and brand name. I bought the lower cost one from autozone. I did just see orileys has one on sal for &30 as well. Very easy to do and will give you an indication of the condition of your cylinders. If your have consistent compression through out all 6 cylinders then your probably able to rule out a bad cylinder or ring. But if your have one that very different then you have identified a problem. If you want to have a shop preform the work but don't want to get ripped off then a basic set of diagnostic tools on your behalf will help keep them honest. I know your in school and there is know time but think how much extra beer money you would have by not having to pay a shop to guess whats wrong because they don't want you to waste $100. A pcv valve is a easy part to replace but still more expensive than a compression check gauge.

On my 85 the got stolen. After it was recovered the insurance company wanted me to take it to a very highly regarded Japanese repair shop in the seattle area. They wanted 1 hr of labor to figure out why me ebrake light didn't shut off. Well it was because they didn't put the handle all the way down. So just because everybody says its a good shop doesn't mean they are good to everybody. Their labor times were about 2 times as long as it would have taken me to do it and I am a very armature mechanic. So don't always trust the shop. At least try and diagnose the problem on your own so you don't buy a water pump then have them tell you they were wrong and it was a bracket. Water pumps move water. You can pop your radiator cap when cold start the truck and wait for the thermostat to open if you see water movement in you radiator odds are its working. If it doesn't squeal like a bearing is out and is t leaking out the water pump itself then it fine. It's little things like this that will save your to s on money down the road. And also impress some girlfriends when you tell them whats wrong with their car and fix it for under $100 instead of the shop taking advantage of them. Most women are conditioned to think that mechanics are trying to take advantage of them so you can also be their hero. Just a side benefit.

It just takes one time to realize how much money you will save. And on a side side note when you break down off roads odds are you can probably fix it enough to get home because you now know what your looking at.
Old 12-24-2013, 06:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the info guys