Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Probably needs a battery...what do you think?

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2008, 02:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Probably needs a battery...what do you think?

I started seeing a dim charging light while driving a few weeks ago. One night I hit the high beams and the radio shut off. By the time I got home the lights were dim and ignition was stumbling. I shut it off, and suprise suprise, it wouldn't start. I replaced the alternator, and it's better, but I still get a charging light even though I drive it all over the place. It starts a little slow too. Battery is about 3 years old. I'm thinking the battery wasn't too good to start with and the alternator wearing out was the straw that broke its back. Only thing is wouldn't the charging light be off if the alternator is working properly, or would a weak battery strain the system and keep the light on?
Old 10-24-2008, 08:49 PM

a weak battery can destroy a new alternator. replace the battery make sure u have clean connections, then check the charging voltage. should be between 13.5 and 14 volts
Old 10-24-2008, 10:01 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Definitely time to change the battery. Like desert rat said, a weak battery can strain the alternator. 3 years is a decent life for a battery.
Old 10-24-2008, 10:02 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
well, check your battery voltage first... with the engine off and with it running.
after it sits a few hours, should be > 12 with the engine off
should be > 13.5 (best would be 14.3-14.7) with the engine running.

if it's less than 12 after sitting a few hours, the battery is probably on it's way out... but if you're not getting good charging voltage, could be the alternator or an issue with the wiring.
Old 10-25-2008, 12:44 AM

12.5V across the battery terminals with the truck off. 11.7V across the battery terminals with the truck running. 19.5V from the post on top ot the alternator to chassis ground with the truck running. That's strange. This is a fresh alternator. I'll start diagramming it up, but if there are and standard yota tricks I'd like to hear them.
Old 10-25-2008, 01:17 AM

Found a loose terminal splice on the left fender between the alternator charging post and the battery. Cleaned and tightened it. Charging light is out, 14V across the battery and from the alternator charging post with the truck running. Makes sense too. It must have been just barely a good enough connection for the alternator to keep the truck running with its output voltage cranked up as high as it could go, hence the 19V from the alternator but only 11 at the battery. After a few weeks of that the old alternator took a dump.
Old 10-25-2008, 10:11 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by aerocorey
Found a loose terminal splice on the left fender between the alternator charging post and the battery. Cleaned and tightened it. Charging light is out, 14V across the battery and from the alternator charging post with the truck running. Makes sense too. It must have been just barely a good enough connection for the alternator to keep the truck running with its output voltage cranked up as high as it could go, hence the 19V from the alternator but only 11 at the battery. After a few weeks of that the old alternator took a dump.
Congrats on finding it! It's always nice to find an inexpensive fix to a problem, free is even better.