Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

power window problems!!! 89 4Runner (searched)

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2006, 09:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
power window problems!!! 89 4Runner (searched)

i'm finally getting around to fixing my window PROBLEMS and i'm stuck. a little help please!!!

1. driver window rolls down fine. rolling up it stops several times and 'clicks' until i pull up on the glass to help it up. pulled apart the motor and it's got all it's teeth!!!

2. i bought a used driver window switch off some a-hole (useitagaincom) off ebay. they're another story. the switch for the driver window sticks when pressed down. how to unstick it?

3. pass side window rolls up and down SLOWLY!!! silicone was no help... relay? motor?

help would be appreciated!!!
Old 11-24-2006, 04:32 AM
Banned

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts
1. Gravity pulls it down...motor has to do little. Clicking is your motor struggling I would assume since you have to pull it up. Nothing in there but a motor and a switch to go bad if the structural mechanics are right.

2. Take it apart and try cleaning it.

3. Sounds like you might have a weak battery or the same problem as the driver only in the early stages.

Try Roger Brown's website 4crawler.com as he has lots of 1st gen fixes on there.

Old 11-24-2006, 06:19 AM

I'm gonna say that the gears are stripping if it's clicking on the way up. Sounds like a new or newer regulator is in order IMHO. For the sticking switch just get some electrical contact cleaner and give it a shot, assuming that something sticky like coffee with too many sugars may have migrated there. It should work though, Sometimes rain and stuff gets in them and they start to rust. I take them apart and make sure the contacts are all in good shape. As for the pass side it may just need some white grease on the regulator and all the moving parts.

Good luck
Old 11-24-2006, 01:41 PM

Check for a voltage drop. Bad ground or damaged wire. Wires are pron to crack and corrode right were the door is hinged.
Old 11-24-2006, 09:25 PM

you guys are awesome!!! i'll be out there sunday(hopefuly). need to find a window motor it seems... babypig i doubt it's the regulator. the PW motor has plastic gears on the inside that i believe are the culprit. i was kinda hoping someone had a cheaper easy fix than the motor.

thanks fellas
-dave
Old 11-27-2006, 06:29 AM

Originally Posted by dave22r
you guys are awesome!!! i'll be out there sunday(hopefuly). need to find a window motor it seems... babypig i doubt it's the regulator. the PW motor has plastic gears on the inside that i believe are the culprit. i was kinda hoping someone had a cheaper easy fix than the motor.

thanks fellas
-dave
I had a somewhat the same problem with my rear passenger window. It was tempermental. It worked when it felt like. What I did was I used WD-40 and sprayed it in the switch. I mean I pulled out the up/down switch and unplugged the electrical wire clamp and sprayed WD-40 inside the switch. I also sprayed the metel contacts under the switch. Popped the switch back in and it worked fine for me. Wish I could have taken some photos to give a better idea. If this doesn't work then continue with your idea. Just adding my info if it helps. Good Luck.

Steven