Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Possible engine swap this winter, need some advice from you gear heads.

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2011, 01:57 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Possible engine swap this winter, need some advice from you gear heads.

Like the title says I may be swapping out my 22re (240,000 miles) this winter when this job shuts down due to the weather. I've got access to a full shop, welding gear, lift, etc and a trained mechanic in the form of my future brother in law who has done several engine/drive train swaps over the past couple of years. He said he'd be more than happy to help me with the ordeal.

Ok I've looked at 3.4 swaps and Lexus LS 400's almost exclusively since I want to stay Toyota. The 3.4 looks like it'd be easier if I can find a complete engine/tranny/t-case and just drop them into my 89 4runner. That way I can use the Tacoma ECU with all the running gear and hopefully make it an easier swap.

On the other hand the Lexus looks freaking sweet except for the need to "hand fab" the ECU wiring and I'd have to use an automatic transmission (which might not be all that bad considering my lunch box lockers).

Ok money is a minor issue. I'll only have about 6K to throw at this, which will put the total out of pocket for my rig upwards of 11K from initial buy in, but I do have access to tools and fab gear so I'll save money there.

I'd like to do this as quickly and inexpensively as possible. The reason for this is that my lady and I are going to be doing a lot of highway running in the future back and forth to job locations and hauling a lot of house hold items and "stuff" and the 22re just isn't all that great on the long runs. Keep in mind that I have 5.29's and 285's so the gears are a little too deep for the smaller meats but you all know I'll go larger tires once these wear out. I need something that gets better mpg (I average about 19 on the highway loaded) and with a good enough higher rpm power curve to make climbing hills with 2K pounds of gear in the back of an already 6500 4runner (bumpers/tires/wheels/roof rack/full time tools and gear).

If you've done a swap with the 3.4 and the running gear then please chime in, if someone has found a way to to the LS 400 swap with a manual tranny please chime in also.

If you have some magic wand to make my 22re a little more of a long distance runner then please chime in with that.

The most current idea is to pull the head and have it rebuilt with a cam to match the header and intake mods that I've done but I'm unsure if that will actually help on the interstate.

Thanks.
Old 09-20-2011, 02:04 PM

Received 101 Likes on 79 Posts
why not consider the 7mgte and the 3rz swap as well? 6 grand can get you a long ways...
Old 09-20-2011, 02:09 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Find a wrecked 95.5-2004 tacoma and take the entire 3.4 with the tranny and t-case.

That's my vote...
Old 09-20-2011, 02:15 PM

Originally Posted by MaK92-4RnR
why not consider the 7mgte and the 3rz swap as well? 6 grand can get you a long ways...
I looked into the 7mtge and it looked a tad more in depth than something I think I can handle.

Originally Posted by snobdds
Find a wrecked 95.5-2004 tacoma and take the entire 3.4 with the tranny and t-case.

That's my vote...
Yeah if some research into a head rebuild and cam install on the 22re turn up less than favorable numbers then I'll have to go that route. It'd be sweet to have running gear from this decade in my rig! Hell I hope I can find one wrecked that I can afford.
Old 09-20-2011, 03:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Junkers88
I looked into the 7mtge and it looked a tad more in depth than something I think I can handle.
I've heard good things about the 22re to 7mge (NA) swap. Corax on here did a great write-up on it. But...if you have access to a full shop, I say 5vz.

Last edited by BMcEL; 09-20-2011 at 08:11 PM.
Old 09-20-2011, 07:57 PM

If you had a 3vzfe (3.slow, 3.0, v6, ect) I would recommend going with a 5vzfe(3.4)

But since your going from a 22re you should stick to the 7mge (3.0 supra)

all you need when moving from a 22re to a 7mge are 5mge motor mounts, 7mge bell housing and clutch assembly, v6 radiator, and a 7mge harness and ecu.

pluss it has more HP then the 5vzfe and will get slightly better mpg.

going from a 3vzfe to a 5vzfe is a bolt in proceedure as well but not if your going from a 22re to a 5vzfe. that requires allot more custom fab.

also, when going from obd1 to obd2 toyota changed the wiring harness design substantialy making the wiring for a 5vzfe swap much more difficult then a 7mge.

here are some good reads for you.

5vzfe dap - http://www.4x4wire.com/toyota-tech/t...ine-conversion

7mge swap - http://www.supracharged.com/4runner/7mswap.shtml

Definitely stick with the 7mge.

now can someone answer my bump stop question?
Old 09-20-2011, 07:59 PM

Also i recomend sticking with a w series trans and gear driven tcase combo.

although the r series tranns is strong, your tcase options are much cheaper if you stick to the w series.
Old 09-21-2011, 11:27 AM

After my 3.0 swap experience to a Proline 190 hp 3.0 from CHS machine in Portland I would be inclined to call them and see what they have in a sooped up 22re. That way everything is bolt in direct.

Last edited by Wildblue; 09-21-2011 at 11:40 AM.
Old 09-21-2011, 11:40 AM

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/TOYOT...Q5fAccessories

here is the link for the proline 22re
Old 09-21-2011, 02:05 PM

Originally Posted by Wildblue
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/TOYOT...Q5fAccessories

here is the link for the proline 22re
Not bad looking although I don't know if I'll even feel an extra 23hp. That and I don't think I've ever ran my rig at 4800rpm and am unsure if it'll do that without exploding (thoughts?). I read through your 3.0 swap out from these folks and it sounds like you really like the swap and are happy with the company and it's customer service.

I'll contact them and start a dialogue about my 22re and what they feel the engine from them will do for me. It'd be really easy to spend 1500$ and have a nice simple engine swap. *laugh* I'd even have time to clean out the engine compartment and shine up the frame rails and front end!

Thank you for the link.
Old 09-21-2011, 02:28 PM

My tack on the 1992 V-6, 3.Go Pickup redlines at 5500 rpm. Power timing it I've pushed it up over 6000 rpm in 4th gear and it felt and sounded ok. The shop guys at CHS say the 22re buyers have a smile on their face as well. Now in fifth gear I can pass going up a grade without downshifting and it lugs down nicely, not needing to shift at lower rpms. 70,000 mile 7 year warranty

Last edited by Wildblue; 09-21-2011 at 02:30 PM.
Old 09-22-2011, 04:51 AM
Banned

Received 20 Likes on 9 Posts
3.4 swap hands down.
Parts availability. Tranny options. Dual cases.
Reliability and Wapow.

It's what I'm putting in my uber secret project truck that has yet to be photographed

:wabbit2:
Old 09-22-2011, 05:44 AM

3.Go engine swap vs 3.4

Originally Posted by waskillywabbit
3.4 swap hands down.
Parts availability. Tranny options. Dual cases.
Reliability and Wapow.

It's what I'm putting in my uber secret project truck that has yet to be photographed

There you have it folks... I have 33 posts on this board and the Rabbit has thousands. I must defer, but would bet a case of cold beer to run that rabbits tail down any day of the week.
Old 09-22-2011, 06:00 AM
Banned

Received 20 Likes on 9 Posts
Physically running? I don't and that's why I carry.
Be glad to race you in my 08 Tundra.

Old 09-22-2011, 07:45 AM

Originally Posted by waskillywabbit
Physically running? I don't and that's why I carry.
Be glad to race you in my 08 Tundra.

The assumption was with 20,000 posts you had something to offer in the way of respected opinion / experience and maybe provide value to the poster's query.
Old 09-22-2011, 04:10 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
3.4 for many of the reasons that rabbit stated. I have done two now and they are not that hard and the upside is outstanding.

There are tons of parts around and it's easy to grow with (duals cases, radiator, r150 trans).

The 3rz is not more powerful although it does get close.

The 3rz is a viable option and if it was me I would be considering that carefully. Itnwould relly come down to what I found the best deal on personally; 3.4 or 3rz. However, I would always want run an r series trans and a 3rz is going to make that difficult and/or expensive.

I'd lean 80% 3.4, 20% 3rz. No way I'd mess with the Lexus stuff personally. I don't need a part time job.

Last edited by dntsdad; 09-22-2011 at 04:13 PM.
Old 09-22-2011, 05:00 PM

The poster has a good sized budget, has lots of time on his side, access to a shop, and even expert help if he gets in trouble. There are a ton of considerations, all of these are different for every owner and much of this is how hard core is he?

What does he plan to do with the rig? Any engine swap is considered a major piece of work... that's why shops charge $4500 for the job and then you still don't know what you are going to be left with.

My swap to the 190 hp 210 FP torque build was basically plug and play with a few minor wrinkles that I ironed out. I have driven the 3.Slow in in the past and it doesn't even come close to the Proline package in this build.

I would like to go head to head with one of these 3.4 swaps on the highway and also on the trail and see for myself just how they stack up. Just coming home today on a curvy country road, the tack spun up and fishtailed a few times. This is not your typical 3.0. If you watch closely on the video clock I posted you could probably see the 0 - 60 mph. I can only speak from my own experience.

So if anyone has driven a 3.4 swap and also the 3.Go Proline install, we would like to hear from you. Failing that, if anyone has a 3.4 swap in the neighborhood, come on by my stretch of road and we'll get this matter figured out.

Cheers!

Last edited by Wildblue; 09-22-2011 at 05:02 PM.
Old 09-22-2011, 05:42 PM

my vote is 7-mge or gte (turbo) simply because of the ease of swap and the tourqe characteristics of an inline 6 (wich is what you want anyway right?) nice n low

and you will be able to afford rebuilding the 7m cuz their kinda cheap, so you will have a brand new motor essentially, with a lil bit of go fast goodies..

im not sure of the 5vze price out of the gate but im sure its a lil more pricey than the older 7mge...my .02
Old 09-25-2011, 08:27 AM

dude i got a 302 in my 1985 4runner. it fits nicely except the exhaust(headers had to be cut and shortened, and pipes had to be crushed to fit betwean frame rail). but god damn this engine F(*&in SCREAMS! will roast my 35's all day no problem. and its not even a fresh engine...dont even want to think about a fresh built 5.0, would probably rip the truck apart. but if you want some power go with that!
Old 09-25-2011, 09:36 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I guess it really depends on your needs and what you want to do with it. For $6,000 you could probably drop an TPI Chevy 350 in there and burn 35's all day long. Why you would want to in a friggin Toyota pickup is beyond me but hey.......if you are into roasting $250 tires then batter up. A V8 is a Toyota is always a head scratcher for me but whatever.

Reliability wise, along with good power and fuel mileage, I'd still go with the 3.4 or 3rz (and lean towards the 3.4).

If I wanted to worry about 0-60 times and burning out, I certainly would take my $6000 and buy a different vehicle.

Quick Reply: Possible engine swap this winter, need some advice from you gear heads.