Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Please Help

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2008, 02:32 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Please Help

Drove home yesterday, parked and noticed a good amount of coolant coming out from the bottom of my engine area...Then drove to my Mechanic and told Him about it, but of course when I got done driving over there is wouldnt leak a drop for him, he said he ran it for like 30 mins and not a drop, asked if it could be my pump and he said no, dry there and plus it was replaced like 50,000 miles ago.
Picked it up, drove home and leak started again, climbed under and looked. there was a little nipple looking thing by where my exhaust starts. close the the heads. it was a little black metal box that the coolant was coming out in a little stream and going down chasis to oil pan and leaking.
could this be a thermostat that is sticking? only thing i can think of, truck does take way to long to warm up and i do live in the south, not that cold down here,
it doesnt do it every time i drive,
??????
daily driver.....

thanks
Will be at work today so i will respond after 3pm est to any questions
hope it was good enough description
William
Old 03-21-2008, 02:32 AM

Water pump that is
Old 03-21-2008, 06:58 PM

If the '92 is like the '94, it sounds like your oil cooler. There are two hoses that run coolant to and from a circular cooler (looks like a short, black can) on the driver's side of the engine block. These provide engine coolant to remove excess heat from the engine oil. Hopefully, you just have a bad hose whose replacement will solve your problem. In the image below the oil cooler is to the right of the oil filter.

Old 03-21-2008, 10:09 PM
Contributing Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by BrunswickYota
...there was a little nipple looking thing by where my exhaust starts. close the the heads. it was a little black metal box that the coolant was coming out in a little stream and going down chasis to oil pan and leaking.
Your description is a bit hard to decipher.

Is the "box" attached to the firewall? If so, it's probably your heater control. They can leak sometimes out the bottom, and than leak can vary depending on if you have messed with the heater controls (hot or cold).

Maybe you can snap a pic or provide some more info.
Old 03-22-2008, 08:02 AM

Will try an get some pics up this evening, sorry about the lack of info but was half way out the door to work while posting lol