86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

performance upgrades

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2017, 02:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
performance upgrades

For those of you looking for performace upgrades,such as porting heads, or throttle bodies, I would avoid D.O.A. racing engines. I just went to check the Throttle positioning sensor on the throttle body I got back, and found that he gave me a throttle body off his shelf,(he said he would set the sensor himself). My factory new sensor was left on my core that was supposed to be bored, and I got a bad one. the TBPS that I got was bad, not to mention shavings in the bore of the throttle body.I sent my heads to be bored for $1275. they were supposed to be turnkey. Valves were out of spec and had to be adjusted, just a shoddy job. this guy sells $10000 engines, and he gigs me for my new TPS, halfasses my throttle body, and doesn't get the valves in spec.avoid this clown in Buckeye Arizona/.
Old 11-04-2017, 03:05 PM

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts
Originally Posted by bluegrass4wheel
For those of you looking for performace upgrades,such as porting heads, or throttle bodies, I would avoid D.O.A. racing engines. I just went to check the Throttle positioning sensor on the throttle body I got back, and found that he gave me a throttle body off his shelf,(he said he would set the sensor himself). My factory new sensor was left on my core that was supposed to be bored, and I got a bad one. the TBPS that I got was bad, not to mention shavings in the bore of the throttle body.I sent my heads to be bored for $1275. they were supposed to be turnkey. Valves were out of spec and had to be adjusted, just a shoddy job. this guy sells $10000 engines, and he gigs me for my new TPS, halfasses my throttle body, and doesn't get the valves in spec.avoid this clown in Buckeye Arizona/.
That’s a harsh review!! Everything you complained about is regular maintenance type claim.
Old 11-05-2017, 05:31 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
Taking your new sensor I could see an issue with. Setting the valves I cannot see how he should be expected to set until it is installed in the truck. I see one post from a guy that is not happy with what he thought was expected and it makes me think he is just going from forum to forum trashing somebody that may have a legit business. Your post just made me think about how experienced are you at engine building. If this is your first engine build, you do need to check and re check your engine builder. Once the machine work is completed there is tons of other things involved in getting the motor assembled and running.

I have rebuilt numerous engines with every one of them spending some time at a machine shop and can say not every one of them went as expected. I have seen others on here much more detailed then I am and still have things to go wrong. Doing a rebuild is not hard, it is the finer details that will bite you. Allow a good month for doing a rebuild from start to finish. After I do a rebuild and have the motor running I still have several adjustments to do after it has ran a while and valves are usually one of them. I do not believe in completely turn key myself.

Last edited by Terrys87; 11-05-2017 at 05:40 AM.