Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Pcv and valve cover filter

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2010, 09:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Pcv and valve cover filter

Alright to start out I apologizes for adding to the many pcv and egr filter question threads out there, but I have literally been on here for hours only to get scraps and pieces of info about this. So again im sorry, any help would greatly be appreciated.

Q#1 Ok first of all what is that line even called on the valve cover (Red filter)?

Q#2 The air filter housing on my weber obviously has a hole for this^^ but I just taped it off. Does it make a difference either way?

Q#3 PCV filter and cap off vacuum line? I read that doing this could possible cause a oil leak somewhere? Right now I have it routed to the EGR brass fitting and adapter that came with the weber. But I was thinking about buying the egr block off plates for both holes and either putting a filter on pcv or routing it over to one of the vacuum lines on the intake manifold.

Q#4 Is there supposed to be an excessive amount of oil coming out of either the pcv or the other mentioned hole on the valve cover? When I installed the pcv filter on my dads 22r it was pretty much soaked with oil within a few weeks. Also on my uncles 22r he has very small amounts of oil around the other mentioned hole, its just bare no filter, he also has a filter on the pcv.

Basically I just want to know, are the filter mods even necessary, and/or are they doing any good or do they just look nice?

Thanks everybody
Old 12-21-2010, 09:37 PM

Originally Posted by razed
shouldn't you post pics of a carb'd setup and not efi?
where hoses go are different
im only using the pic as reference to my first question, but ya i know what your saying
Old 12-21-2010, 09:47 PM

i get that but im asking about the hole itself, its exactly the same on mine here...
Old 12-21-2010, 09:55 PM

General Pics

Im going to route the PCV hose here if I get the egr block off plates and dont decide not to just use a filter.

This is were it is at now, with the weber supplied brass adapter and screw

Old 12-21-2010, 10:00 PM

the tube from the pcv valve should be to full manifold vacuum, a port under the carb not unlike the port to the brake booster.
the port there on the valve cover, above the "Y" in TOYOTA should be from filtered air but not full manifold vacuum, likely a port on the old, stock air cleaner
The "Y" port is actually blowing out hot air, its not getting anything filtered from the carb or manifold. Thats why im questioning its very importance...
Old 12-21-2010, 10:14 PM

the PCV is supposed to let the engine suck gasses from the engine into the intake to be burned
the port by the "Y" is supposed to let fresh air in to replace the gasses that the engine sucks in through the PCV.

make sense?
What??? Even if that first sentence made sense what "gases" are we talking about? Second, how is anything hot and possibly oily considered "fresh" that is supposed to be coming out of the Y hole?
Old 12-21-2010, 10:18 PM

Reference Pic

I found this while searching...any input??

It's late right now but I hope I can get a little more input from people in the coming days, especially from first hand experiences. Thanks again.