Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Parking brake cable - difference between 4cyl and V6?

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2017, 01:06 PM
Contributing Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Parking brake cable - difference between 4cyl and V6?

I have a 1992 4x4 pickup, regular cab, 4cyl. I am trying to find a replacement front parking brake cable and it seems like OEM may be my only option @ $150 canadian. Wagner model #BC138652 lists as " Front Brake Cable, 4WD, REG CAB - 6 CYL " and Raybestos BC96755 shows the same. Does anyone know if there is a difference between parking cables based on engine or are they just listing it like this because the majority of these trucks came with the V6?

EDIT: The ebay seller below lists the wagner part number fitting only 1994 and 1995 regular cab 4x4 pickups, but with either engine.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Parking-Brak...26.m2548.l4275

Last edited by Brendan; 03-24-2017 at 01:11 PM.
Old 03-24-2017, 02:41 PM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Red face

Cable length is determined by body style and drive train

Extra cab/ Regular cab

4x4 is different then 2wd.

Just be careful I have had all kinds of problems aftermarket cables not fitting I will buy parking brake cables at the dealer as long as I can

In fact I have new cables just in case

In your case you need a 1992 Regular cab 4x4

Last edited by wyoming9; 03-24-2017 at 02:42 PM.
Old 03-24-2017, 04:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have an old 4runner and my parking brake cable snapped as well a few weeks ago when I cranked back on it a little too hard. Almost all of these "pull and twist" type parking brakes snap right where the cable connects to the handle. (I'm assuming yours snapped in the same spot). Autozone, Advance, etc all only sell the cables after the split right behind the fuel tank. No-one besides Toyota parts or a junk yard sells the length of cable from the handle back to a spring assembly and lever BEFORE the fuel tank. It's very frustrating.Toyota used two different systems for the cable, which will determine what kind you need. The first runs from the end of the "pull and twist" handle through the firewall, to a small pulley on the other side. From there it is routed down the opposite side of the firewall from the cab, down and over the transmission, and to the little spring assembly before the tank. The second design never crosses the firewall. Instead, there is a pulley mounted on the cab side of the firewall that routes the brake cable down under the carpet to a hole in the floorboard whereupon it jumps underneath the cab, across the transmission, and over to the exact same spring assembly. I'd recommend hopping under there, figuring out what design you have, and then run over to the toyota parts office and hop on one of those computers with a techie and buy the cable used in the diagram with whatever system you have. OR jump over to a junkyard and try and find one. Someone correct me if I am wrong, but I have not found any correlation, between year and type of design used. It seems it was model/trim specific. Let me know if this helps!
Old 04-16-2017, 08:56 AM
Contributing Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Wagner brake cable, part number BC138652 fit my truck perfectly. It was the one listed as V6 models only. Made in Japan too,

Pretty straight forward job aside from dealing with pins and clips on the underside that have been subjected to 25 years of Canadian winters. Replacing the pin that passes through the pulley behind the handle required a few expletives and the tabs that hold the cable in place above the bellhousing aren't the easiest to access, but all-in-all, I was able to complete it, so it can't rank very highly on the scale of difficulty. Also, several threads have posts saying the handle needs to be removed. I did not need to remove my handle to replace the cable.

Last edited by Brendan; 04-16-2017 at 08:58 AM.